Help me - The Next Generations vs Deep Space Nine

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-03, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me - The Next Generations vs Deep Space Nine

Hi

This my situation:

I love Star Trek but :

1) I have never seen one second only of The Next Generations .

2) I have never seen one second only of Deep Space Nine .

This my problem :

1) Which one is the best ?

2) Which one should I buy first for plot reasons?

or

3) Are the two series related in terms of story and / or characters ?

4) One more question : Choose one of the following :

The Next Generations vs Deep Space Nine vs Babylon 5

Thanks in advance

Edgler

Last edited by Edgler Vess; 06-04-03 at 03:19 PM.
Old 06-04-03, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If given the choice, I'd go with DS9. A much better story that keeps building on itself. Next Gen had a few contnuing plots but 95% of the episodes were stand-alone. Many of the first few seasons of DS9 were mainly stand-alone but starting midway through season 2-3, you get a whole continuing plot with politics of Bajor & the threat from the Gamma Quadrent. Best Trek series in my opinion. All of DS9's characters get developed very well throughout the series.

For the most part, you don't need to see Next Gen or origional show to enjoy Ds9. There are a few guest stars that were in the other shows but nothing that is that major and that isn't explained.
Old 06-04-03, 03:40 PM

Next Gen used to be my favorite, and I didn't like DS9 (I had really only watched the first couple episodes when it originally aired). Last summer I started watching the reruns for DS9, and I started to like it a LOT more.

But, I think DS9 is a better show now. There is a very good story line, and it's nice to have a recurring story line that lasts about 6 season (unlike Next Gen, where 4 episodes was probably the longest story line).
Old 06-04-03, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like a thread for... the TV Talk forum!

I enjoy both of these spinoff shows. So if you're a patient person, I would recommend watching them all. Start with season 1 of TNG and go through both series.

But, if you're forcing me to make a choice, I do prefer The Next Generation over DS9. Not that DS9 is a bad show (far from it), but I just really like the crew of TNG better and think that the show had some amazing episodes.
Old 06-04-03, 03:51 PM

DS9 actually has a plot at some points. TNG never does.

In answer to your last queston, Babylon 5 is the best by far.
Old 06-04-03, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ENterprise.
Old 06-04-03, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
If I had to choose, I would go for DS9. The plots were better from the getgo (that first season of TNG is just painful) and the acting is top notch. There isn't much of a relationship between the two shows until Worf shows up on DS9 but you don't necessarily need a lot of backstory for his arrival.

In addition, I find the picture quality better on the DS9 discs (later seasons of TNG look better than earlier ones) plus in later seasons of DS9, the 5.1 sound will come in handy as well.

DS9 vs. B5 is a whole different discussion that would drag on way too long and I don't know if I could choose between them. Good luck.
Old 06-04-03, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

TNG sets the pace that the other shows would later build upon. TNG had some really worthy episodes, but in general, DS9 serialized their plots better so that it kept me coming back for more (especially later on when the dominion popped up). both had unique crews, and are worthy to watch if you have the time and money.

i could never get into VOYAGER, however. even with the borg in the body glove.
Old 06-04-03, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

TNG-->DS9-->Babylon 5
Old 06-04-03, 04:17 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Since this is about the shows themselves, and not the discs, moving to TV Talk.
Old 06-04-03, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth SCHMEGGA •<HR SIZE=1>TNG-->DS9-->Babylon 5 <HR SIZE=1>

You've seen Babylon 5?

das
Old 06-04-03, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
As far as Star Trek shows go--TNG vs. DS9--it's a toss-up. Clearly TNG is the more important show, picking up the original "space, the final frontier..." Enterprise legacy, and continuing on as the higher-profile cast with four feature films...

Like many here I've grown to have a preference for DS9, with its more sophisticated plotting, larger recurring cast, darker themes, and willingness to forego the "reset" button...

I'm not as big a fan of B5 as most folks on the forum--I'll take Star Trek bad dialog over B5 bad dialog any day... But I still love the show, and still recommend it as one of the better space shows ever made.

[ot]What I really want to see (and never have) is Blake's Seven![/ot]

Last edited by adamblast; 06-04-03 at 07:08 PM.
Old 06-04-03, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Edgler Vess,

As others have noted, the main difference between TNG and DS9 is that TNG is episodic, and DS9 is serial. Which is "better" depends on which type of story-telling you prefer. Perhaps if you could list some other genre shows you love, we may be able to better direct you.

Not knowing anything about your personal preferences, I would by default recommend Babylon 5. All three are fine shows, but Babylon 5 is the only one I'd recommend without hesitation to a random stranger. Whether you'll grow to love it is not known, but if you don't at least like it, there's something wrong ([Murray] something very, very wrong[/Murray]) with you.

Anyway, you can't really go wrong with these -- each has its strengths and weaknesses -- it will just depend on which style of story-telling you find most enjoyable.

das
Old 06-04-03, 06:37 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
If TNG was "to boldly go where no man has gone before"...

Then DS9 was "to quietly sit where everybody's been"...

... and you can quote me on that! I've been saying it for years... by the way, I'd go with DS9, O'Brien and Worf were my favorites, so when they jumped ship to DS9 I jumped for joy!!! BTW, I can't stomach Riker or Troi...
Old 06-04-03, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Based on your question #4, my list is:

1) Babylon 5
2) Deep Space Nine
3) Next Generation
Old 06-04-03, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by das Monkey

You've seen Babylon 5?

das
Such a thing is possible.
One man's sliced bread is anothers moldy trash. I did not care for moldy trash.
Old 06-04-03, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Deep Space Nine, but get both if you can afford it. I have never seen an episode of Babylon 5.
Old 06-05-03, 12:30 AM

I llike both Star Trek series, but I think DS9 holds together more strongly as a series. I rarely have to struggle to get through an episode - that does happen at times with Next Generation.

I never got into Bablyon 5.
Old 06-05-03, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts
ST:TNG

I really love the cast and the crew of this Enterprise. You can't go wrong with them. If you have never seen either then I would start with Next Gen since it does lay some of the mythos of star trek.
Old 06-05-03, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
If you're only going to get a couple seasons, I'd reccomend ST:TNG (seasons 3, 4 & 5). - and to a lesser degree the last couple seasons of DS9 (though they'd lose a little of their strenght if you don't have a backbone of the first few seasons - so I would just rent those and then buy seasons 5-7 of DS9).

If you're okay with picking up an entire run of many seasons, I'd STRONGLY reccomend Babylon 5 over Star Trek.

And if you don't mind spending a little bit more - I would reccomend Farscape as possibly having the highest and most consistant quality in writing/acting/design/makeup/effects of all these shows. The Farscape discs cost a little bit more than the Trek discs, but they have much better audio/video and better extras, also.
Old 06-05-03, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

While I love Farscape, I'd recommend checking out the Best of Season 1 discs (which can be easily rented) before dropping cash on season sets. Chances are he'll love it and want it all, but it's a bit more "out there" than B5 or the familiar TNG model, and as such, it's not for everyone. That being said, though, it's an incredibly well done show, and I too would highly recommend it for someone looking for quality genre entertainment. Also, as noted, in terms of DVD treatment, the Farscape DVDs dwarf the B5 and Trek ones.

das
Old 06-05-03, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
While I love Farscape, I'd recommend checking out the Best of Season 1 discs (which can be easily rented) before dropping cash on season sets. Chances are he'll love it and want it all, but it's a bit more "out there" than B5 or the familiar TNG model, and as such, it's not for everyone. That being said, though, it's an incredibly well done show, and I too would highly recommend it for someone looking for quality genre entertainment. Also, as noted, in terms of DVD treatment, the Farscape DVDs dwarf the B5 and Trek ones.

das
Or you can get extremely lucky at Circuit City and find the Complete Season 1 Box Set mispriced as the best of season 1.

But I guess you only get lucky like that once....still the $100 dollar savings were well appreciated.
Old 06-05-03, 09:05 PM

You've seen Babylon 5?

das
I know I have and I never really warmed to Babylon 5. Lord knows I tried. DS9 is my favorite Trek series, followed by Star Trek and Next Gen comes in third. DS9, or as I liked to call it, the cranky Trek was far more interesting because the storylines continued, the characters actually grew & changed and things actually happened. Middle of season two and the show started to kick in. Still, there are a few highlights to be found in that first year, especially an episode called "Duet" which is basically "The Man in the Glass Booth" meets Trek. Outstanding episode and one of the best hours any Trek series has produced and the pilot episode was also excellent. It was a great series until the last couple of episodes when the show jumped the shark.
Old 06-05-03, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
well they're both set in the same universe and time line so there is some overall continuity between them, there were a few crossover episodes in each. Chief O'Brien went from a recurring occasional character on TNG to one of the main characters on DS9. Worf showed up on DS9 after TNG finished season 7

Originally posted by Edgler Vess

3) Are the two series related in terms of story and / or characters ?

Edgler
Old 06-05-03, 09:42 PM

Even though I think DS9 is by far the superior show, if you've never seen TNG, you should get both series sets, as long as money isn't an issue. Yeah, I know, easy answer, but IMO, you'll appreciate DS9 that much more if you watch it in the context of TNG.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.