Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

cowboy bebop japanese or english dub?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Which language is better for cowboy bebop?
Origianl Japanese version with subtitles
38.33%
English dub
51.67%
it doesn't matter.
10.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

cowboy bebop japanese or english dub?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-03, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm either getting this
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...404452-4002529 which has a shortened version of the real folk blues

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...404452-4002529 this has the original themesong

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=music
this has the longer version of the end theme. (I am buying on ebay, since there is no way I am paying 25 bucks when I can get one for just 10 bucks on ebay)
Old 06-11-03, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dubbed voices are good.
Old 06-13-03, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I find some comments very odd since I'm sure most of us here are totally into OAR.

Would you watch Empire Strikes Back with someone else as the voice of Darth Vader?

These voices were chosen when the series was made. The English version features totally different sounding people who play the parts very differently. It's like watching a different show. The only actor who tries to sound like the original character is the guy who plays Jet.

As for the rumor that Watanabe liked the dub actors so much that he went back and had the japanese actors sound more like the English ones... well... if someone can prove it to me, it's a nice bit of trivia... but I've noticed a few things that sound wrong with that.

First off, there's the whole thing of them sounding totally different anyways. Also, the dub didn't come out until the US DVDs right? which is a few years after airing in Japan... unless the dub was done at the same time, which is not altogether unusual... except for the fact, the dub was done by a different studio according to what I can remember. This reminds me of the rumor I always hear in evolution/creationist discussions, coming from the creationist side that Darwin, on his death bed, denounced evolution... the logic behind this being that people must worship Darwin like a creationist worships God, and so this MUST disprove evolution, when the fact really is, not many people would care.

If you don't mind the dub, ok, I don't care, because I can see the movie the way it was shown originally... and you're not stopping me. If you're fine with changing the voices of characters, then go ahead... Personally, I care about that kind of thing. It's something to bare in mind next time you try and tell someone that open matte might have more picture, but it's still not correct.

Last edited by BizRodian; 06-14-03 at 12:08 AM.
Old 06-14-03, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Most dubs don't sound near as good as this one does.
Love the show, am up to session 12 (god damn imdb, found out the ending via the "crazy credits" ), but now I want to know how it happens
Faye's a babe

and if someone will kill Ed, I sure hope so, he/she is so god annoying.
Old 06-14-03, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Ed's not in the final ones. so be happy
Old 06-14-03, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Most dubs don't sound near as good as this one does.
So I take it you're not someone who belives that OAR is not about more or less image, but instead the RIGHT image then?
Old 06-15-03, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I'm all about the sub on this, but I have to admit, the dub on this is decent compared to other anime series with horrorible dubbing. Best thing, just stick with the dub.
Old 06-15-03, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, I'm not trying to change anyone's mind... just get them thinking that maybe they're being a little hypocritical if they refuse to buy an open matte film, or refuse to buy the SEs of Star Wars since they're not the "originals" but will watch anime that has all the voices altered from the original.

Well lots of people do think this is a "good dub"... I don't.. no, it's not terrible... but I don't find the acting very good. Not on the levels of the original Batman Animated Series or something... of course, I can't really tell how the acting is in the japanese version since I'm not an expert in the language...

To me, a good dub would be a dub that is not only well acted, but stays true to the original characters and story. After seeing the dub to many Cowboy Bebop episodes, it's a very different show, with very different characters, because they are played so differently.

I'm glad my first introduction to this show wasn't the terrible "Cowboy Bebop: The Movie" trailer, or the piss poor Cartoon Network commercials. Because stuff like that is what kept me away from so much good anime for so long. I'm sure there's still millions of people out there who would like a show like this, but get as repulsed by the same stuff I do.

I don't think it's wise for anyone to switch to the subtitles if they started watching it dubbed... because it would seem like a different show to them.

Last edited by BizRodian; 06-15-03 at 02:09 AM.
Old 06-19-03, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

after disc 2 I switched back over to the sub since, it sounds more natural (esspecially when a character yells or has their mouth wide open). Plus the quality of the sub is better.
Is ed male or female? It looks male, but is refered to as female.
Old 06-20-03, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ed is female, as told at the end of her first episode.

Yeah, that's another thing about dubs... I find the English never seems natural.. it doesn't seem like the characters are talking.. it seems like a dub. Which of course, it is... all film is... but for some reason.. I don't know. The sad thing is I noticed the same thing on the Animatrix shorts...
Old 06-20-03, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
At least with the dub I can tell if the acting is good or bad (it's okay) - with subs, I can't tell if the acting is great or piss-poor.
Old 06-20-03, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

You shouldn't base the acting from a voice over. Even though you can't understand the language, I still can hear it in the voice when someone is angry, sad, depressed, and happy.
Old 06-20-03, 06:36 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The English dub for Cowboy Bebop is really good. I'm an anime fan and I'd never suggest that anyone watch with anything but the original Japanese audio...except in this case. The English dub on Bebop is so seamless that, if you didn't know better, you'd think that it was made that way originally.
Old 06-21-03, 12:21 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: cowboy bebop japanese or english dub?

Originally posted by Rypro 525
Which one should it be?
The dub for Cowboy Bebop is considered to be one of the best in anime - and this coming from hard core sub only fans.

Personaly, I think the show is vastly superior with the US voices. Since the show is a very 'american' one, the dub adds a certain level to the characters that the japanese track is unable to add.

Also for those of you who havent taken the plunge The Right Stuf INC is selling the whole series at 50 percent off. It's not the box set version, but at slightly less than 10 bucks a disc, who needs a box.

Originally posted by BizRodian
If you don't mind the dub, ok, I don't care, because I can see the movie the way it was shown originally... and you're not stopping me. If you're fine with changing the voices of characters, then go ahead... Personally, I care about that kind of thing. It's something to bare in mind next time you try and tell someone that open matte might have more picture, but it's still not correct.
The problem is, however, that unless you watch it with the subtitles off and know Japanese well enough to keep up, you're not watching it as originally shown. You are running your perception of the story through a translator - who may or may not be accurate to the orignal dialouge. Either way, you're processing the show through a filter of some sort.

Last edited by El-Kabong; 06-21-03 at 12:28 PM.
Old 06-21-03, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The problem is, however, that unless you watch it with the subtitles off and know Japanese well enough to keep up, you're not watching it as originally shown. You are running your perception of the story through a translator - who may or may not be accurate to the orignal dialouge. Either way, you're processing the show through a filter of some sort.
Yes, but the subtitles are closer. I'm hearing the emotion that the original characters have. I'm hearing the way they were supposed to sound. My filter consists of a translator and not of a whole production staff used to make the dub. Dubs are also almost rewritten in some areas in order to make the speech go on for as long as the lips move.

Last edited by BizRodian; 06-22-03 at 12:48 AM.
Old 06-22-03, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Re: Re: cowboy bebop japanese or english dub?

Originally posted by El-Kabong
Also for those of you who havent taken the plunge The Right Stuf INC is selling the whole series at 50 percent off.
At $89.99 it's 50 percent off MSRP, maybe, but Amazon has been selling the exact same set of discs for $98.90 with free shipping for ages now.