Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

What is your own personal greatest moment in TV history? (spoilers, yo)

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

What is your own personal greatest moment in TV history? (spoilers, yo)

Old 05-27-03, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What is your own personal greatest moment in TV history?

With me it has too be the Batman tv series from the 60's when Batman and Robin are scaling a wall sideways and who sticks there head out the window-none other than Lurch from the Adamms Family.A close second place would be the hand shake between Lt.Gerard and Richard Kimble(The Fugitive) as he is set free as an innocent man ending one of tv's greatest tv shows(1967).
Old 05-27-03, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: Chicago, only a stone's throw from Chicago (even if you throw like a girl)
The death of Mr. Hooper episode on Sesame Street.
Thomas Magnum not being dead.
The death of Henry Blake on M*A*S*H - I cried like a baby (I was young)
Old 05-27-03, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Apollo moon landing ... single greatest example of what we can do as a people when we put aside our petty differences and work together to accomplish a seemingly impossible goal.

A distant second ... Emily telling Bob to go back to sleep ... him replying she should wear more sweaters.

Honorable mention to Jon Stewart's return on September 20th, 2001 ... chilling.

das
Old 05-27-03, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by bothanspy
Thomas Magnum not being dead.
Tho I wouldn't have minded if they ended the series with that show, with Thomas walking off into the clouds.

I really should buckle down and finish my Magnum, PI feature which ties up a lot of loose ends the series finale didn't. Tho I'm curious to know what Clancy may have written.
Old 05-27-03, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: Chicago, only a stone's throw from Chicago (even if you throw like a girl)
Originally posted by devilshalo
Tho I wouldn't have minded if they ended the series with that show, with Thomas walking off into the clouds.

I really should buckle down and finish my Magnum, PI feature which ties up a lot of loose ends the series finale didn't. Tho I'm curious to know what Clancy may have written.
What feature?
Old 05-27-03, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

When I plugged in TiVo for the first time
Old 05-27-03, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Umm..
March 17, 2002
Oleg Maskaev vs Corey Sanders on Fox Sports

You can see me in the crowd.
Old 05-28-03, 12:49 AM
Super Moderator

Originally posted by das Monkey
Apollo moon landing ... single greatest example of what we can do as a people when we put aside our petty differences and work together to accomplish a seemingly impossible goal.

A distant second ... Emily telling Bob to go back to sleep ... him replying she should wear more sweaters.

Honorable mention to Jon Stewart's return on September 20th, 2001 ... chilling.

das
Great moments all.

I would add-

The start of Twin Peaks.

The end of St Elsewhere

David Letterman's address to his show about 9-11

And of course, "great" TV is defined by those important moments, memorable moments that provide a common reference point for all that were around then. Such as-

Kennedy's assasination
Challenger
9-11

All became television events, defined by images on the tube.
Old 05-28-03, 03:18 AM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

"The Body" episode from Buffy. I remember this especially fondly because I thought that was the greatest week of tv. Of course, I just looked around epguides.com and didn't really see what else made that week so great. The only other show I remember as being really good that week is Oz. They aired what should have been the series finale, but instead the show kept going and kept getting worse.
Old 05-28-03, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"i'm so excited, i'm so excited...i'm so scared!"
Old 05-28-03, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

das
Old 05-28-03, 08:33 AM

The final scene in the Buffy series.
Old 05-28-03, 08:53 AM

My moment is fairly recent, but I chose it because over the years I've grown pretty jaded and unimpressed with television. I was watching the pilot for what I felt was an above-average cop show, and things were wrapping up in what I thought was a fairly predictable conclusion. Still, I thought the show was good enough for me to tune in again. But the very end took me completely by surprise and I realized that this was one show that wouldn't play by the "rules." You could've hit me with a skillet and I would have been less shocked.

The show, of course, was "The Shield."

Honorable mention: "Becoming, Part 2" from Season 2 of "Buffy." My enjoyment of the episode was diluted quite a bit from the cop-out in Season 3.
Old 05-28-03, 03:59 PM

Star Trek: The Next Generation's "The Best of Both Worlds Pt. 1"

...not because I'm a big Trek fan, but I just happened to watch that episode with a large group of friends and family (12-15 people). Everyone was into it through the entire episode (most of them not being interested in Star Trek in the first place) with the dead silence of everyone paying attention, and the ensuing uproar when the "to be continued" cliffhanger appeared.

I'm not a sports fan, but it felt like we were watching some big game or something
Old 05-28-03, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The story arc on Homicide where Steve Buscemi shoots at a bunch of cops.

The whole set-up, pay-off, follow-thorough, and resolution of that storyline was, in my opinion, perfect television.
Old 05-28-03, 04:35 PM

Going with fictional:

I don't think anything will ever compare to the end of Becoming Part 2 on Buffy, for me. I was 15, and until that point didn't , for want of a better explanation, realize they could actually 'do that' on TV. No cliffhanger to be easily resolved in the first episode of the next season; no last minute deus ex machina for trouble-free world saving; no happy-quippy final scenes where everything was going to be okay. Just this seemingly endless summer spent wondering how the heck they were going to fix what they broke.

It's a hard moment to beat, since it changed the way I looked at TV shows. Now, when watching a good show, I'm always half-prepared to have the rug yanked out from under me. The impact's not the same.
Old 05-28-03, 04:57 PM

The airing of the Star Wars Holiday Special in Nov 1978.
Old 05-28-03, 05:01 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

Man, I wish I was watching Buffy when "Becoming Part 2" originally aired. I didn't start watching until season 5 and when I watched Becoming rerun on fx it was still shocking, but nothing like what it would have been like when it first aired.
Old 05-28-03, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Jlbkwrm
Going with fictional:

I don't think anything will ever compare to the end of Becoming Part 2 on Buffy, for me.

Becoming Pt 2 - it's gets no better! I can't even begin to describe the emotional rollercoaster that show put me on. The summer following that ep was the longest of my life. No show has EVER affected me the way BtVS used to.
Old 05-28-03, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

'Becoming, Part 2' is one of my favorite hours of television ever ... but if you want emotional, 'Sleeping in Light' will kick your ass, help you back up, and beat you down again.

das
Old 05-28-03, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

How can anbody forget that infamous OJ Bronco chase??

Here I was watching Larry King Live then he cuts in with this "Breaking New's" update to this this little vehicle on the California freeway being chased by cop cars and news choppers.

I sat there for the next 4 hrs watching this riveting and bizarre spectacle unfold.

It was something I'll never forget

Last edited by shanester; 05-28-03 at 05:56 PM.
Old 05-28-03, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Okay I am a BTVS fan, but saying that one episode of this show effected you like no other program on television is a bit much. I am sure I am going to get blasted for this, but come one there was a thread not to long ago about "great" clffhangers and more than a number of them were more historically "important" than "Becoming Part 2." When was the last time a season ending episode made the cover of Time magazine?

Now to the subject at hand I have to admit that for me one of the most "memorable" moments in TV history had to be CNN's invasion of Panama. I say CNN's invasion since they were there prior to the troops landing and "shot" everything happening that day. I just remember sitting in front of the television at my grand parents captivated by what was going on. Mind you I was seven (7) or eight (8) at that time, but to me that was captivating television.

Who can forget when Al Cowlings interuppted the NBA Finals for his "Driving Miss Daisy" impression? I am sorry, but when a "breaking news" story is the highest rated time segment on television in a calendar year there is a problem.

Fictionally, its up to the individual to decide their "greatest" moment in television.
Old 05-28-03, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'll skip any real life news stories, because obviously their emotional impact is far greater than anything TV can do. (And skipping Letterman's return on 9-17-01, because it's so closely related to 9-11.)

For me, the greatest "Oh. My. God." moment in TV history was Babylon 5's "Z'ha'dum" third season cliffhanger.
Old 05-28-03, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Probably November 22-25, 1963. There was little else like watching that on network TV live during those four days. It hardly felt real. I don't think anything else on TV has ever effected me like that did then.

Last edited by movielib; 05-28-03 at 08:35 PM.
Old 05-29-03, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Many have been mentioned so I will say the Season 1 of The X-Files Season Finale - The Erlenmeyer Flask
when Deep throat is shot and killed after the exchange. OMG! That was the beginning of some wonderfull years of the X-Files.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.