Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Who do you think will win the 2nd American Idol this year?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Who will win American Idol this year?
Ruben
27.10%
Clay
55.14%
I don't give a crap, I don't watch.
17.76%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Who do you think will win the 2nd American Idol this year?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-03, 07:59 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Patman
What I noticed was how carefree the the final 3 contestants were last night since the competition part was over, and it showed in their performances. They all had nothing to lose at that point anymore, and they were just singing very freely. I dug that.
I think it's because all three knew that they were all getting record contracts irregardless of who won. It was implied last night the both Reuben and Clay would have CD's out at some future point in time.

When I was watching the vote spread was 13,000 then corrected to 1,300 (drunken accountant comment). Has it been corrected again to 130,000???

Probably the best part of the whole show was Simon's dream.

Last edited by icondude; 05-22-03 at 08:02 AM.
Old 05-22-03, 08:46 AM

Originally posted by icondude
When I was watching the vote spread was 13,000 then corrected to 1,300 (drunken accountant comment). Has it been corrected again to 130,000???
Yeah.. i think Seacrest just has problems reading REALLY big numbers. I'm sure his note card says "24 million votes" rather than "24,000,000 votes".

Anyways, Seacrest DID "correct" it to 1,300 but the correct difference was about 130,000 votes

Ruben: 50.28% of 24 million = 12,067,200 votes
Clay: 49.72% of 24 million = 11,932,800 votes

12067200 - 11932800 = 134,400 vote difference

(130,000 vote difference is MUCH more believable to me than when i first heard "1,300 votes", making me think the voting was a complete sham)
Old 05-22-03, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 172 Posts
I think it's because all three knew that they were all getting record contracts irregardless of who won. It was implied last night the both Reuben and Clay would have CD's out at some future point in time.
Clive Davis has already signed both to contracts.

Clay & Ruben will both have CD singles released in mid-June. This is what Seacrest was referring to when he talkked about CD sales being the real competition.
Old 05-22-03, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Patman
Too bad the monetary prize is an all-or-nothing deal. Even if Clay gets the recording contract, I think he really deserves some compensation for the tough challenge he was able to mount against Simon's favorite.

Anyone think Simon was relieved that Ruben came out on top?
Being Simon's favorite was seen as a double-edged sword. Last year, that girl, Christina Christian was complaining that she lost mainly because Simon liked her.

Clay and Ruben should thank their lucky stars that this show exists because they probably wouldn't get a second glance by record execs. They may have the voice but they don't fit the "look" of a typical pop star.

Last edited by big whoppa; 05-22-03 at 09:04 AM.
Old 05-22-03, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Check this out: A Clay Aiken pillow case on Amazon.com:

Sexy Sleep with Gorgeous CLAY AIKEN~AMERICAN IDOL pillow case

http://s1.amazon.com/exec/varzea/ts/...-5707962#image
Old 05-22-03, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh sure, NOW everyone is jumping on the Julia bandwagon! Where were you guys when she needed you?

Lovely Julia, don't listen to these traitors. I'm the only one that truly loves you

Oh dear God, look at those No! Wait Julia! I didn't mean to ...dammit! No, don't go!
Old 05-22-03, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Don't forget that people had at least THREE hours to vote in the final show. They added an extra hour, which would account for the 24 million plus votes...
Old 05-22-03, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by big whoppa
Being Simon's favorite was seen as a double-edged sword. Last year, that girl, Christina Christian was complaining that she lost mainly because Simon liked her.
But will we ever really know if she was truly voted off? If you remember, the night she was "voted" off she was not there because she had been checked into the hospital the night before. I can't remember why, it might have been due to exhaustion. But the producers could have taken the easy way out and said she was voted off rather than vote someone else off and then have to fill a week. In my opinion Christina lost because of Christina. She couldn't handle the pressure.
Old 05-22-03, 10:59 AM
Cool New Member

Recount anyone?

http://drudgereport.com/idol1.htm

IDOL host Seacrest added to the confusion by announcing conflicting margins and votes throughout the evening. Seacrest moved from a 1,335 vote difference to a 50.28 per cent score for winner Ruben Studdard, putting him at about 134,000 votes ahead of Clay Aiken.

Seacrest announced a 13,000 vote difference in the first hour of the program, 1,335 votes when he revealed the decision. Finally, after the show, producers revealed a 134,000 margin!

News organizations on the morning after the night before were quoting various final totals.

FOX will launch an internal review of what led to the voter tally confusion, a FOX source told the DRUDGE REPORT.

"As far as we are concerned, the votes are not in dispute," said the insider. "We are looking at how the bad math got on the air."
Old 05-22-03, 11:07 AM

Originally posted by GuessWho

Clay & Ruben will both have CD singles released in mid-June. This is what Seacrest was referring to when he talkked about CD sales being the real competition.
Even though on Amazon both of their singles are listed as being released on June 3rd, this is listed in the description:

"The winner of American Idol Season 2 will have his CD-single released on June 03, 2003. The runner-up will have his CD-single released on June 10, 2003."

Also Clive Davis did say that they both have contracts and he said that they are both in the process of recording their albums. The CD singles have already been recorded. And it is their albums that will be released on the same day.
Old 05-22-03, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

honestly, why did it matter who won???? both are getting contracts and both will be in the public eye for the next year (unfortunately).

as for ruben, (i don't watch much of the show and missed all of this week's but) he's NOT much of an entertainer (don't get me wrong, he DOES have a great voice) but he just stands around and sings. when i have seen him perform he just doesn't seem to have much passion about it. whereas clay does. it seems he always sang from the bottom of his heart (but it is difficult to hear him talk (and i'm from arkansas originally).

i also think it's very hypocritical of the judges in how they've handled this 2nd season. they have actually tried to sway the vote and in doing so have not let the audience decide on their own which is what they always preached in the beginning. i think they were afraid to let the audience decide completely b/c then they're fav wouldn't have won. simon is the one who has to work with them later and i think he decides who he wants it to be and then goes from there. i think the decision was made when ruben was put into the bottom 2 that one night. the way the "judges" responded was inappropriate and told the voting public who should be the american "idol" in the end.

Last edited by hgar78; 05-22-03 at 11:41 AM.
Old 05-22-03, 11:42 AM

I really wanted Clay to win because I thought his voice was amazing.

I liked Ruben as well, but he doesn't have quite the same range. Clay can hit the highs and lows without effort.

Both seemed to have pleasant personalities, which is a rarity for these talent competitions.

The big winner is the public, however. Thankfully radio will be getting a few atypical looking popstars with talent. Normally it is the other way around. Enough with the crossover hip hop that has been flooding the airwaves the past few years. I'm ready for the second coming of Rick Astley and Luther Vandross.

What's fascinating is that everyone, including myself, got wrapped up in the compeition as if it were the Superbowl or Oscars (or even to a larger degree). I actually felt sad for Clay. What's that all about? Both are getting huge exposure and probably the same recording contract. One has the "American Idol" title, and one does not. In the grand scheme it's probably no big deal. However, I hope that Ruben doesn't get a super-huge promotional push in comparison to Clay, because they are equally deserving and they are going after two different target markets.

- Matt

Last edited by MatthewCho; 05-22-03 at 11:45 AM.
Old 05-22-03, 11:56 AM

Originally posted by hgar78
i also think it's very hypocritical of the judges in how they've handled this 2nd season. they have actually tried to sway the vote and in doing so have not let the audience decide on their own which is what they always preached in the beginning. i think they were afraid to let the audience decide completely b/c then they're fav wouldn't have won. simon is the one who has to work with them later and i think he decides who he wants it to be and then goes from there. i think the decision was made when ruben was put into the bottom 2 that one night. the way the "judges" responded was inappropriate and told the voting public who should be the american "idol" in the end.
Is this your first time watching American Idol because if you had seen last season you would know that the fans don't give a damn what the judges think. That is why we ended up with Justin Guarini in the final two last season. The fans are going to vote for who they want not who the judges want. That would also explain the early departures of Tamyra last season and Vanessa form this season. That is why I agree with some of the past suggestions of changing the voting next season to voting for the person you want off the show. It may seem harsh but like Simon ,that is the entertainment industry and they need to get used to it. Or they should allow only one vote per household which would really make this a fair competition.
Old 05-22-03, 11:59 AM

Wow thats a lot faster than I thought... cool. Its a really smart move to release them soon..that way the buzz is still hot about them..Alltho a rush job would not be good for sales of either
Old 05-22-03, 12:01 PM

Originally posted by Big Quasimodo
P.S. Not to go off on my rant of last year, but really, while both were good singers, neither one of these guys is remotely "Idol" material.

I think a lot of screaming teens for both Rebun and Clay would disagree with you.

But Simon was right Clay's look had improved a lot over the months
Old 05-22-03, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 172 Posts
they have actually tried to sway the vote and in doing so have not let the audience decide on their own which is what they always preached in the beginning.
If they didn't influence the vote then they're pointless, useless, and shouldn't even be on the show once the audience-voting kicks in.
Old 05-22-03, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If they didn't influence the vote then they're pointless, useless, and shouldn't even be on the show once the audience-voting kicks in.
i understand they should critique the performers but when the audience makes a voting decision and all the judges makes disgusted faces and mouth "what the hell" then they're swaying IMO. when they go on talk shows and tell the public who should win, they're swaying the voters. maybe not all of them but their "predictions" are taken to heart by some who feel that they know best.
Old 05-22-03, 12:50 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
"You can run, you can hide, but you can't escape my llluuuuaaaaaaavvvvveee!"

Why did they bring him back!!!???
Old 05-22-03, 01:01 PM
Banned

I think the AI2 contestants will be used just as a fast and easy cash cow. They aren't considered by RCA Records as long-time record artists, while Kelly, Tamyra and Justin from last year are taking all their time to record and promote their albums, in the long run they will be the true winners IMO
Old 05-22-03, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by blakader
I think a lot of screaming teens for both Rebun and Clay would disagree with you.

But Simon was right Clay's look had improved a lot over the months
I get it: David Cassidy, Leif Garrett, CLAY AIKEN?

WTF is wrong with THAT picture?
Old 05-22-03, 01:34 PM

Originally posted by Big Quasimodo
I get it: David Cassidy, Leif Garrett, CLAY AIKEN?

WTF is wrong with THAT picture?
David who?
Leif who?

Old 05-22-03, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

honestly, why did it matter who won???? both are getting contracts and both will be in the public eye for the next year (unfortunately).
I see a big future for Clay in Broadway Musicals or as Ed Grimley.
Old 05-22-03, 02:20 PM
Banned

Just out of curiosity, I didn't watch the first AI. Were the top two as good as Reuben and Clay?
Old 05-22-03, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Just out of curiosity, I didn't watch the first AI. Were the top two as good as Reuben and Clay?
The top two, IMHO, were way better than Ruben and Clay, from the perspective of overall entertainment talent.

From a purely vocal perspective, I would rank Kelly Clarkson and Clay Aiken above Ruben and Justin.
Old 05-22-03, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
http://www.cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/TV/0....ap/index.html

'Idol' beats Oscars in viewers

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.