Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Which network will die first-UPN or PAX?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Which network will die first?
PAX
64.52%
UPN
19.35%
They will die at around the same time.
16.13%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-03, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay, Buffy's over, Enterprise is on life support, and I can't even recall when I watched the PAX network. So, which network will "die" first... UPN or PAX.
Old 05-21-03, 04:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I say PAX because they never had anything to begin with. all they showed were syndicated crap programs that didn't interest me such as touched by an angel and the weakest link (mind you after it got old and boring)

UPN has atleast some appeal, they try and cover a smaller market and get that niche of loyal african american viewers with the programing they run. this works for them so they will be successful with that.

Just like any spanish station caters to spanish brand of shows. they will be successful on that level. Not to mention that UPN does run films and so forth so I think UPN will be around longer. though I remember a day when it was KCOP here in L.A.
Old 05-21-03, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I watch Pax more than UPN.
I like these 3 shows on PAX: Doc, Sue Thomas FBIEye, & Just Cause
Old 05-21-03, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PAX? I thought it was all religious programming.
Old 05-21-03, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

PAX has NBC support, which in turn is funded by GE...

UPN has no network support, and in turn is funded by Paramount (which is still looking for anything to replace the Star Trek franchise)... my vote goes to UPN.
Old 05-21-03, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I say neither. Both serve a niche, and as long as they provide programming for that niche, I think they will be around. There are cable channels that I think need to be off the air before PAX or UPN.

I say give both networks time to get their foot hold. Neither FOX or WB came out of the gate with much respect at first either. In fact, both of them were the butts of jokes in their early days as well.
Old 05-21-03, 01:09 PM
toq

Wasn't the WB and UPN both launched at the same time? If so, it's pretty obvious that UPN is behind the curve.

Anyway, according to the PAX web site, it launched in August 1998 so it's a few years behind UPN. Until one of these networks gets a show with mass appeal (and if it's critically-acclaimed, that wouldn't hurt either), it may be hard for them to achieve the respect they are seeking.
Old 05-21-03, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't really even consider PAX a network. I don't know if I even get it - if I do I don't know where it is and have no idea what is even broadcast on it. UPN I watch Buffy and Enterprise, although Buffy is done and Enterprise sucks. I watched that new Twilight Zone occasionally too, but I think they canned it didn't they? So at this point they can both go away for all I care, but I'd say UPN has more staying power.
Old 05-21-03, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's very hard to attract viewers when the only real programming runs between 5 PM-11:30 PM. The rest of the time-informercials. You mean you can't afford the rights to old 50's TV shows.... sigh...
Old 05-21-03, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Now that Buffy is over and they've at last resorted to Jolene Blalock's body to sell Enterprise (not that this is an entirely bad thing..) UPN just needs to die a quiet death.
Old 05-21-03, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
All it takes is a couple of shows that the public takes too....there was a time when UPN had a bigger presence than the WB, but the WB took chances on smart programming. UPN...well they choose wrestling (no disrespect to the wrestling fans).
Old 05-22-03, 03:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah but wrestling kept UPN alive for a while.
Old 05-22-03, 03:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Who honestly watches PAX?

UPN has 4 of the Top 10 shows among African Americans. That counts for something.