Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Buffy finale - how would you have ended it? (SPOILERS!!!)

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 05-21-03, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After watching the Buffy series finale, I am left with mixed feelings. I think that Joss did a good job wrapping things up while leaving the characters open to move on to a film or Angel appearences. My question to you is: how would you have ended the show? For my part, I would have put more into developing Anya's death, instead of just having her quickly hacked in twain. What does everyone else think?

Mods, if you feel this is too similar to the other Buffy threads, please merge or close.
Old 05-21-03, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I liked the quick death of Anya. That's how death happens. It's more shocking and real that way. I'm glad there was not a large dramatic scene to it. I do feel robbed, I think at the very least Giles, Buffy, Xander or Willow should have died too.
Old 05-21-03, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I would have had Buffy die. I think that if she wanted to end the series, she should follow through on it, and make sure there are no possibilities of guest starring or movies in the future.

I think that Whedon had a great ending with the Buffy in an asylum episode, but I guess too many fans would have freaked out over that. I would have liked it though...
Old 05-21-03, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally posted by movieking

I think that Whedon had a great ending with the Buffy in an asylum episode, but I guess too many fans would have freaked out over that. I would have liked it though...
That, in my mind, is the real ending.....
Old 05-21-03, 08:06 AM

Originally posted by movieking
That would have been entertaining & pretty much a classic ending, but what would that mean for Angel? If Buffy was in the asylum the whole time, Angel probably wouldn't have been in LA.

Now if Angel was ending this season too & they ended the Angel episode by having the screen go totally white or something (to signify that their "reality" was ending)... Then they could have made it work.
Old 05-21-03, 10:33 AM

It would have been too much of a cop-out to end it in the asylum. The most hack ending to any story is "It Was All A Dream!" Whedon is better than that.
Old 05-21-03, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 190 Posts
Originally posted by Danger1313
It would have been too much of a cop-out to end it in the asylum. The most hack ending to any story is "It Was All A Dream!" Whedon is better than that.
Agreed. If it were all a dream, this would mean that everything that happened in the past 7 years was totally meaningless. That's the worst kind of cop-out.

My ending:

Buffy dispatches The First in the big fight pretty early and goes back to her day-to-day slaying duties. One night, a mysterious stranger (played by Joss Whedon, of course) with a notepad happens to witness Buffy dusting a vamp and sharing some witty banter with Giles. He writes in his notebook: "Buffy... vampire slayer???". He immediately gets on his cell phone: "I need a meeting ASAP. I've had a brilliant idea. I need to pitch this right away."

Cut to a year later. The Sunnydale movie theater has "BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER" on the marquee. Inside, Buffy, Giles and the Scoobies watch in horror Kristy Swanson and Rutger Hauer on the big screen. Later, we see them leaving the theater:

"They got it all wrong! It's nothing like that!"
"Where was I? I wasn't even in it!"
"Typical Hollywood. They take a good idea and turn it into silly nonsense."
Old 05-21-03, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 226 Likes on 175 Posts
Josh Z

That would have been almost picture perfect! All they would have needed was Spike to say something like : "I hope Pee Wee Herman wasn't supposed to be me!"

My ending: I would have gone through the whole asylum episode, but NEVER shown Buffy's face;every shot is from her POV. That episode ends as it did.
This year, we end it like it did, but we go back to the Asylum, once again in a flash of white light. We see the POV shot again and hear a girl's voice speaking that is not the Buffy we know. Buffy's parents come to her and speak of how she has been so freaky over the past seven years, slipping in and out of the comatose state. They mention she started it about the time she was through with High School and she had a bad prom night. Buffy begins to speak of being almost like another person in the same situation, while the camera slowly pans around to reveal her face, which is the face of Kristy Swanson!

I like Josh Z's better though.
Old 05-21-03, 11:15 AM

Agreed. If it were all a dream, this would mean that everything that happened in the past 7 years was totally meaningless. That's the worst kind of cop-out.
I agree, if they had ended the series like that it would have pissed me off royally.

I would have had it end with season 5, like it was supposed to.
Old 05-21-03, 11:17 AM

if they'd gone with the insane asylum deal then that would cancel Angel as its own show. not CANCEL cancel...but technically none of Angel wouldn't have happened, so next season would look a little dumb.

I would have had Dawn vamped and staked by Buffy, Giles, Xander, or Spike before it was over, and Rona would have died if it were up to me.
Old 05-21-03, 12:00 PM

Buffy could have discovered she was pregnant with Spike's love child.
I don't see why only Angel should be allowed to have kids, although I wouldn't wish another Conor on anyone.
Old 05-21-03, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
How about Faith giving her life to save Buffy?
Old 05-21-03, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Patman
How about Faith giving her life to save Buffy?
If Faith had bought the farm, I would have been up all night crying. Of course given the fact that she is starring in a Fox series that will play opposite CSI and a cheap a$$ horror flick, I might as well do so. *cries*
Old 05-21-03, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I was thinking more in terms of Faith repaying her debt (being a killer and all).
Old 05-21-03, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
Josh Z

That would have been almost picture perfect! All they would have needed was Spike to say something like : "I hope Pee Wee Herman wasn't supposed to be me!"
Love it! Perfect!
Old 05-21-03, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,947 Likes on 2,014 Posts
I would've preferred something a little more ground-breaking.

Like having Buffy, Faith, Willow, and Anya taking off all of their clothes and going into the final battle fully nude. It's about time American television shatter that taboo.

FAITH: Damn, B, I never pegged you for a waxer.

BUFFY:My God, Faith. You pierced it? Didn't it hurt?

WILLOW: Uhm, I really wish I would've done a little trimming last night. Cuz, you know, I didn't know we'd be going into the hellmouth skyclad.

ANYA: This makes me horny. Do Xander and I have time for a quickie?

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 05-21-03 at 02:15 PM.
Old 05-21-03, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Josh-da-man
I would've preferred something a little more ground-breaking.

Like having Buffy, Faith, Willow, and Anya taking off all of their clothes and going into the final battle fully nude. It's about time American television shatter that taboo.
::sigh::

I think all the men in the audience wish for that one. We just have to make due with FHM magazine.
Old 05-21-03, 04:38 PM
DB

Originally posted by Danger1313
Indeed, I'm surprised at the number of people who say they would have liked that ending. Not only was the bulk of such a story done already in the previous asylum episode, but the final episode of
Spoiler:
St. Elsewhere
was very similar to what is being proposed here.
Old 05-21-03, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How come Anya didn't use any of her demon powers?
Old 05-21-03, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jadzia
How come Anya didn't use any of her demon powers?
She lost them earlier in the season in an episode about her character.
Old 05-22-03, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

One cool way to end it like as it being a dream would be to have Buffy's mother wake her up and say something "it's time for you to wake up, it's your first day at your new school ...Sunnydale"

Im pretty happy with the way it ended anyhoo
Old 05-22-03, 08:10 AM

Originally posted by DB
Indeed, I'm surprised at the number of people who say they would have liked that ending. Not only was the bulk of such a story done already in the previous asylum episode, but the final episode of
Spoiler:
St. Elsewhere
See, I think having the episode about the asylum would have made that ending understandable. They've already tossed that idea out there & went into some detail, so it's not like it would have been out of left field.

And depending no how it was done, it could have worked out well. Buffy saves the world in her "dream-world" & wakes up in her reality. By defeating the First, she was able to overcome whatever was causing those delusions. And in her (real) reality, her parents are still married (and alive, but I'd guess that kinda goes without saying if they're still married), which would be a good thing.

Still, this would have required the cancelling (or really overhauling) of Angel, which couldn't be a good thing.
Old 05-22-03, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

My only qualm with the ending was Xander telling jokes about the mall 30 seconds after finding out Anya was killed. The whole episode seemed kind of rushed, really would've liked to see a 2 hour finale.
Old 05-22-03, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by DB
Not only was the bulk of such a story done already in the previous asylum episode, but the final episode of
Spoiler:
St. Elsewhere
And
Spoiler:
Roseanne

And of course
Spoiler:
Dallas (not series finale, just the season finale where they brought back Bobby Ewing)
Old 05-22-03, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I seem to remember reading somewhere that Whedon filmed three different endings. While not totally sure, I would not be surprised if each ending had a different character giving their life in the hellmouth. Had Angel been cancelled, Whedon might have used an ending with him in Spike's place. Also possible is an ending in which Faith gives her life as an act of repentance.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.