Old 05-19-03, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts
Smallville Season Finale 5/20/03

The title says it all:

EXODUS
Greg Beeman directed the episode written by Al Gough & Miles Millar. [Trailer]

Spoiler:
A sense of foreboding surrounds Smallville as Clark (Tom Welling) must choose between staying with Lana (Kristin Kreuk) and his family or fulfilling his destiny to rule the Earth. Meanwhile, Lex (Michael Rosenbaum) and Helen (Emmanuelle Vaugier) plan their upcoming wedding, but outside forces may ultimately keep them apart. Also, a hurt Chloe (Allison Mack) considers Lionel's (John Glover) offer to investigate Clark.
Old 05-19-03, 04:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Link to discussion on previous episode, for anyone who needs a refresher:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=291843
Old 05-19-03, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Awful early to start thread, aren't we? Or is it Tuesday already?

Old 05-20-03, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by McHawkson
Awful early to start thread, aren't we? Or is it Tuesday already?

Nah, only a day in advance.. so people will remember.

Besides, you could start with the Kristin Kreuk appreciation
Old 05-20-03, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally posted by devilshalo
Nah, only a day in advance.. so people will remember.

Yeah because the Smallville fans in the TV Talk forum have a hard time remembering when it is on.
Old 05-20-03, 01:08 PM

Originally posted by Red Dog
Yeah because the Smallville fans in the TV Talk forum have a hard time remembering when it is on.
I don't have to remember when its on, ReplayTV does it for me.
Old 05-20-03, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Heck, I don't remember what today is. This was a good reminder
Old 05-20-03, 08:59 PM

I hated this episode.

Spoiler:
He thinks he's evil and dangerous to people, so he decides to get red kryptonite which he knows will make him more evil and more dangerous! Makes sense! Besides being an idiotic story, the mere inclusion of red kryptonite, which has spawned nothing but lameness, was uber-suck to the extreme.

And Jor-El is evil after all. Great! Fantastic!

And finally, while it's OK for Clark to screw up with Lana 213,986 times, it gets really old on the 213,987th time. I'd like to encourage the writers to be a tiny bit more original.

Last edited by Soybean; 05-20-03 at 09:09 PM.
Old 05-20-03, 09:03 PM

Very Disappointed with this Season Finale.
Old 05-20-03, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by devilshalo
Besides, you could start with the Kristin Kreuk appreciation

Dammit. I just cleaned the floor!!
Old 05-20-03, 09:10 PM

I thought it was a very powerful season finale...
Spoiler:
up until the red kryptonite. Jor-El may not be evil, though, since the ship seemed to be the source of the voice, and the ship was destroyed...maybe there's a difference between the ship's voice and the outside voice? Also thought the loss of the baby was powerful and sad, and the plane incident really weird...good weird.

Just...why the hell
Spoiler:
red kryptonite
?
Old 05-20-03, 09:20 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Really a downer of an episode.

Spoiler:
I'm guessing Lex's new Bride was just another test from Papa Luther. All the conversations between Dr. Bryce and Lionel were about having Lex killed if he went through with the marriage. Love is viewed as a weakness by Lionel.

The loss of the baby was horrible, but predictable. Clark never had a sibling.

The Lana crap is getting old, but Chloe going to the dark side will make for some serious fun next year. Pete finally had some good lines this episode.

I don't have a problem with the Red K. He was basically looking for a way out of his pain and he found it. I do have a problem with the last shot of him on a motorcycle. He's riding 60 mph when he could run much faster.
Old 05-20-03, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Thought it was a fairly strong, but dark way to end the season.

Spoiler:
I pretty much knew that Martha's baby and Helen were going to be two plot points in the episode. Clark's fear of facing his destiny caused even more problems than it resolved, hurting his family, Lana and Chloe in the process.

Although what happened to Helen and the crew of the plane has me wondering who was involved? Did Lionel make some kind of offer to her? Or was there someone else involved (i.e., that stalker ex-boyfriend?). Obviously someone slipped a mickey into the champagne, but who?

Didn't mind the red kryptonite. Clark knew the consequences, but probably thought of it as a drug, since he admitted "It makes me feel good." It was the only way to numb out the events of the past few days.

Part of me wonders about the fate of the spaceship, besides it destroying most of the Kent farm. I'm sure they'll be other ways for Clark to understand why he's on Earth...
Old 05-20-03, 09:42 PM

What was in the envelope Lionel had after Chloe left, and was it related to what he tried to give Mrs. Luthor?
Old 05-20-03, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts
I thought it was a good episode up until the lazy writting of the red kryptonite, although to be fair it is "to be continued..." so I will reserve most of my judgement until then.

The plane crash bothered me though. Lex has to survive although I really don't see how he can survive crashing into the sea at a 60 degree angle while standing in the cockpit. hmm....

I don't think we can consider Jor-El evil yet.

It almost seemed like the things that happened happened too early in the shows life.

Was that an S or an 8
Old 05-20-03, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

. I do have a problem with the last shot of him on a motorcycle. He's riding 60 mph when he could run much faster.
I actually thought it looked like he was going much slower, more like 40 mph. Here he's put on a ring, become a bad ass again, and he is OBEYING THE SPEED LIMIT!

My problems were not with what was on the screen but what was not on the screen. Mainly, the devastation of the ship imploding was covered in one line: power was knocked out over the entire county. Now there is a crater in the Kent farm (why didn't it destroy the other buildings on the farm?) and there is no sign of an investigation whatsoever. Where is the country sheriff that was on to Clark just a few episodes ago? If she had her doubts about him after witnessing him throw a man across an alley, she would have been all over this explosion at the Kent farm.

And who else was hoping to see Krypton when the ship showed the map of that planet appear before Clark? When it was just an image of Earth, I was so disappointed. I thought we would get to see a glimpse of Krypton. Now the ship is destroyed, I wonder if we will get to see Krypton. The ship in the movie (and probably in the comics) had much of the history of the doomed world in it, and I suspect that Clark destroyed much of the history of Krypton with that ship. It was a stupid move on his part in more ways than a few.

A dark side Chloe will be far more interesting than a whiney stalking Chloe we've seen this past season. I guess if they couldn't kill her off, changing her character is the best alternative.

The "cliffhanger" was much less impactful than last season. Really, what is the cliffhanger? Lex will live, Clark will get over his stupid actions and go back to Smallville High, and we will be back in the same rut we saw in the past two seasons with more FOTW episodes. The only real thing I am looking forward to seeing next season isn't the resolution to this "cliffhanger" but the new Greystoke series coming on WB Sundays! I have high hopes for that series!

Last edited by calhoun07; 05-20-03 at 10:13 PM.
Old 05-20-03, 10:33 PM

Did anyone notice that Lex was NOT wearing his ring when they toasted each other on the plane?
Old 05-20-03, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

man, i was like sweet there won't be any red K butthen the very last 10 mins i was like NOOO!! i dunno, i didn't think the finale was awsome or *****ty, im just ehh.
Old 05-21-03, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Lana: Why didn't we hook up earlier? Why did it take so long?
Clark: Because the writers don't want us together. By the way, I'm leaving again. Hahaha!

Clark: Face it Chloe, you belong on your Wall of Weird. You're more a freak than I am. Stalker.
Old 05-21-03, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
I thought the use of the red kryptonite was great. He treats it like a drug - he said it was the only thing that could make him feel better. Sounds like a depressed teen who turns to drugs.

Yeah there were some plot holes about the crater and fallout but I thought it was a great ending for the season.

Oh and to Terrance Stamp (aka General Zod) as the voice of Jor-El.
Old 05-21-03, 09:07 AM

Originally posted by Red Dog
Oh and to Terrance Stamp (aka General Zod) as the voice of Jor-El.
I had a hard time hearing Jor-El over the roar of the ship. I kept asking my wife:

Did he say "return to Krypton?"

What'd he say?

Huh?

If anyone knows what the hell he was saying in the first "meeting" between the two I'd like to know! I could've sworn he said "return to Krypton", but Krypton's gone!

Personally, I'm not liking the whole, "fufill your destiny", "rule the world" stuff from Jor-El. If that's the direction they wanted to go, they should have made the ship a super-computer with the repository of all Kryptonian knowledge. After the ship gets damaged, it tries to recreate Earth in the image of Krypton with Clark as the leader. Or something like that. I'm partial to old notion that Jor-el & Lara were nice people that just wanted to save their infant's life by getting him off of a doomed planet and onto a world where he might fit in.

I love the show and look forward to how they resolve all this.
Old 05-21-03, 09:17 AM

Originally posted by Soybean
And finally, while it's OK for Clark to screw up with Lana 213,986 times, it gets really old on the 213,987th time. I'd like to encourage the writers to be a tiny bit more original.
I agree. Can't they be happily together for at least 3 or 4 episodes before they break them up again?

I will say they had some seriously deep open-mouthed kisses between the two. Go get 'em, Clark!

Lana is the HOT!

For a while I was leaning towards Chloe but the writers have almost completely ruined the character. She goes to the dance with Clark, next day tells him they should just be friends, doesn't say otherwise until Clark is basically comatose and confesses her love for him, then gets bent out of shape and turns to the dark side when she sees him kissing Lana. Ugh.

I'm looking forward to next season mostly to find out what the heck's going on with Lex!?
Old 05-21-03, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Was Clark riding off in the distance towards an icey area? I.e. is he heading for the FORTRESS OF SOLITUDE?? I think Red Kryptonite is kind of lame...but it seems Bad Clark listens to Jor-El, which is good... hopefully everything will work itself out... even though it was predictable, I was very upset that they lost the baby, and I don't know how (if ever) they will be able to forgive Clark for what he did... a real stupid move IMO.

Well, looking forward to next season.

MATT

I hope that is the fortress of solitude...that would rule
Old 05-21-03, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by elias
Personally, I'm not liking the whole, "fufill your destiny", "rule the world" stuff from Jor-El. If that's the direction they wanted to go, they should have made the ship a super-computer with the repository of all Kryptonian knowledge. After the ship gets damaged, it tries to recreate Earth in the image of Krypton with Clark as the leader. Or something like that. I'm partial to old notion that Jor-el & Lara were nice people that just wanted to save their infant's life by getting him off of a doomed planet and onto a world where he might fit in.

I love the show and look forward to how they resolve all this.
That's part of the point I was trying to make earlier, that I suspect that the ship was a super computer filled with information about Krypton, and if it was able to create a holographic image of Earth, it would have created a holographic image of Krypton in due time. Ever since episode one, I was looking forward to the episode where Clark would unlock the secrets of the ship and Krypton and have a "flashback" to his home world and parents. I guess that's ruined now, unless the ship does an Iron Giant and can rebuild itself, which wouldn't surprise me if it did manage to reconstruct itself.

As for the "take over the world" plot, was this ever introduced at all in any other Superman storyline? I didn't really read the comic books enough, but I do recall in the Bruce Timm animated series, there were a few episodes with Bizzaro where he felt Superman wasn't doing his job and Bizzaro was determined to rebuild Krypton on Earth. And in the 400th issue of Superman (which I don't have anymore to reference), wasn't one of the future stories of where Superman was one of the sole survivors of Earth and was finally able to rebuild Krypton on Earth? Could it be that this has always been Superman's destiny, but he opted to not follow it? Perhaps the Smallville writers really aren't reaching all that much with this, but are using this concept more.
Old 05-21-03, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
The chest symbol was more like an 8, not an S (which we know is his family crest)

So I'm holding out on the theory that it was a fake Jor-El

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.