Reload this Page >

Smallville Season Finale 5/20/03

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Smallville Season Finale 5/20/03

Old 05-21-03, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by mdc3000
Was Clark riding off in the distance towards an icey area? I.e. is he heading for the FORTRESS OF SOLITUDE?? I think Red Kryptonite is kind of lame...but it seems Bad Clark listens to Jor-El, which is good... hopefully everything will work itself out... even though it was predictable, I was very upset that they lost the baby, and I don't know how (if ever) they will be able to forgive Clark for what he did... a real stupid move IMO.

Well, looking forward to next season.

MATT

I hope that is the fortress of solitude...that would rule
I got the impression that he was heading towards Metropolis. Which would rule anyway. Just imagine how much damage Bad Clark could cause there.
Old 05-21-03, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 855 Likes on 628 Posts
It seemed to me that the first half of the season was very good and then the last half turned sour. I was ehh the whole way. I got a little bored.
Old 05-21-03, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm almost positive that the Lex in the falling plane is all a bad dream who can survive a crash like that.
Old 05-21-03, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 296 Likes on 189 Posts
Originally posted by MaDJoE
who can survive a crash like that.
Old 05-21-03, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Wasn't all that crazy about the 180's pulled in this episode/cliffhanger.

This might be the episode where the soap opera aspects of Smallville might weight it down too darkly/heavily for the next seasons to come.

Things look dire, and once again, the worlds of the main characters have been literally and figuratively upside down.

Just guessing: Helen and Lionel might have been in cahoots all this time, and using Lex's own psychosis against him, Helen was the perfect foil for Lex's insecurities.

Sometimes, Jonathan Kent is written so inconsistently, but given that he's a hot-head in remission, maybe this is what causes him to lash out when he's in great emotional pain and turmoil. Using the loss of their child to create the rift between Clark and his parents is heartbreaking.

Chloe's deal with the devil is disappointing, but expected.

Sometimes you have to wonder just how bright Clark really is. The boy's got plenty of growing up to do. Using red K as a "fix" like a past drug abuser would do in times of crisis just didn't sit all that well with me. I guess I'm too much of an optimist when it comes to the character of Clark Kent, growing pain and all.
Old 05-21-03, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man, I was away from home and forgot to tape the show.

I will have to catch the big Sunday.
Old 05-21-03, 12:46 PM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I really hate season enders like this where they the writers really go out of their way to have a cliffhanger for just about everything. Whats the point? And I thought we were getting away from Kryptonite in every single episode...

This show would be so much better if they could leave out some of the "Dawson's Creek" elements.

One thing I did like was that the crest wasn't an "S" - why would Krypton use English alphabets? Yeah, the movie used it but they used a lot of dumb things there (the list is too long for this thread.)

I don't know, I'm creeped out by the Lionel/Chloe dynamic. Hope Helen returns - I'd like to see what she is really all about.
Old 05-21-03, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 203 Likes on 168 Posts
I definitely think that Helen is in cahoots w/ Lionel. The Lex/Lionel/Helen storyline should start out in a blaze of glory next year. My favorite part of the show - I can't wait.

Though I am disappointed that they brought the special red K back, it really wasn't handled too poorly. Clark is still young and has a lot to learn, so be it.

Since Chloe is driving on the other side of the road now, maybe they can kill her dumbass off of the show next year, because if she finds out any secrets, she must die or go into a coma - right?

to a dose of Pete in an episode for a change. He makes the show much better when he is present, imo.

to hearing Terence Stamp as Jor-El. Nice touch.

Damn Lana - why the hell didn't you hop on the bike? It's not like anything is holding you back in Smallville. I guess this disproves the theory that all the pretty girls like the bad boys.

Overall - I thought it was a good finale, but I thought Helen would die as a result of Clark's actions sometime during the ep. Next year should be interesting from the get go.
Old 05-21-03, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I didn't like this ending at all. There really is no cliffhanger and I didn't like the fact that he destroys the ship, which doesn't make sense since he gets all the info and powers from it.
Old 05-21-03, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by jiggawhat
I didn't like this ending at all. There really is no cliffhanger and I didn't like the fact that he destroys the ship, which doesn't make sense since he gets all the info and powers from it.
I wouldn't be surprised at all if we see the ship return next season. Where on Earth Clark will be drawn to, who knows?
Old 05-21-03, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Like I said before, what the writers did in this season finale was turn everyone's world upside down:

Clark feel so bad about being responsible for causing his mother's miscarriage, and the rage from Jonathan. He felt so bad that he needed the Red K to make him not give a crap, and lower his inhibitions when it comes to giving into impulses.

Jonathan and Martha have to deal with the miscarriage, and then to deal with Clark running away as well.

Lex and his plane crashed into the sea, and probably due to Helen spiking his drink.

Chloe is now in cahoots with Lionel.

Lionel could also be in cahoots with Helen, setting up his son in a despicable manner.

Lana's lost Clark to the wild side, and she doesn't quite know why.

Pete...well, he got to rage on a little in front of Lionel.
Old 05-21-03, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 648 Likes on 376 Posts
Did the ship (or Jor-El) at any time actually state that Clark's destiny was to rule Earth? That's what the cave writings were interpreted as saying, but I don't recall the ship saying anything beyond Clark needing to face his destiny and stuff. I'm thinkin' that Clark and that other dead scientist guy were wrong about the cave writings and the ship was actually supposed to help Clark fulfill the whole Superman thing, but we're being misled because it makes for a better season finale.

But if the ship DID say Clark was to rule Earth, then everything I wrote is wrong. hmmm
Old 05-22-03, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Did anyone else think that Clark had that whole Hulk vibe going on after the ship blew up the cellar with his shirt all ripped up and tattered, and he was covered with dirt and dust?
Old 05-22-03, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,163 Likes on 1,666 Posts
IIRC, as someone explained earlier, in the comics the essence of the ship took Clark over and tried to force him to rebuild Earth as Krypton. Clark snapped out of it when it threatened the people closest to him, and through some plotline or another, it eventually became the Eradicator, one of the four "new" Supermen after Clark's death. This was in the John Byrne days, when Krypton was presented not as a peaceful, utopian, friendly place, but a harsh, scientific world. But then again, in the comics Pete's white, marries Lana, and becomes Luthor's VP. Then again, there is a comic writer (Jeph Loeb) closely involved in the show.

Nice security in that cave, Lionel. I can understand Clark breaking in, but Lionel's not the least bit surprised. And then Pete makes it all the way underground, in a rage.

Uh... it's not really Clark's fault that his parents were driving back to the ranch when the explosion went off. In fact, he didn't tell them about it because he didn't want anyone else to get hurt. I'm sure it would've been much easier for SOMEONE ELSE to put the Kryptonite into the ship...

What a great Best Man Clark is. I know that he was constantly interrupted, but did he not expect to be at the wedding at all? I guess the last thing he knew, the wedding was off, but wouldn't he want to tell his parents or his date that (I don't think Lex called him)?

I liked that Luthor was honest about taking the blood sample, especially since he could've easily denied it an noone would have any evidence. He is really trying to do good. Also, good parallel with both he and Clark trying to avoid their "heritage."

I thought the red kryptonite thing came off better than I thought it would. It brings up a real character flaw in Clark. Everything was going right for him, and then everything was taken away. He tried to make a sacrifice by himself, but just ended up hurting everyone else. He's very confused, and so turns to something that will make him feel better, regardless of the consequences. Sure, it's irresponsible, but he can't be goody-two-shoes all the time... he is supposed to be a teenager after all.

Same with Chloe. She wasn't right in betraying Clark just because she was hurt. She was also lying that she'd be ok with Lana and Clark being together as long as they were upfront with her about it. But she's flawed, she's hurt, her biggest fear is realized, and so she turns against her best friend.

Lastly, I can't believe that the doctor is evil. She seemed to want to do good when the Kent's came to her, and when Lionel caught her snooping around, they didn't act all chummy. I do think she was involved in drugging Lex, though, as you can see from her nervousness in the plane. Perhaps Lionel is blackmailing her? I'll be very disappointed if she did it because she's Lionel's willing pawn, or even worse if it's because she wants his money. There goes her character.
Old 05-22-03, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

My $.02

- Lame to insert all the "cliffhangers" just because it's a season finale. I'm sure Lex is dead and Clark won't be in Smallville next year.

- I highly doubt Helen was involved in the plane incident. Usually when something's hinted at that strongly, the writers go the other way. My guess is Lionel planned something to happen to both of them, but his goons messed it up. Lionel is cutthroat but always stops short of actually killing Lex.

- The fact that Stamp is the voice of "Jor-el" is all the proof I need that Jor-el/The Ship/Krypton is not evil. They use the score from the Superman movies, then have the actor you played the main villain suddenly playing Jor-el? My hunch it's actually General Zod trying to mislead Clark. It really wouldn't make sense to have Stamp provide the voice otherwise.
Old 05-22-03, 12:13 PM

Originally posted by fujishig
IIRC, as someone explained earlier, in the comics the essence of the ship took Clark over and tried to force him to rebuild Earth as Krypton.

Uh... it's not really Clark's fault that his parents were driving back to the ranch when the explosion went off. In fact, he didn't tell them about it because he didn't want anyone else to get hurt. I'm sure it would've been much easier for SOMEONE ELSE to put the Kryptonite into the ship...
I don't think the Eradicator was the ship. I think it was some Kryptonian artifact.

I agree that Clark's parents shouldn't have left the wedding to go get Clark. Give the guy the benefit of the doubt and don't go rushing back there. They new he was having "problems" with the ship and while I doubt they suspected an explosion, they should have suspected some trouble. And if you expect trouble, leave your pregnant wife in church is what I always say!

The reason Clark had to be the one to put the key in the ship is because it was too dangerous for Pete to do it. Pete (or any other human) wouldn't have survived the explosion. Even if he managed to run out of the celler before it blew, he wouldn't have gotten far enough away to escape the blast that flipped the Kent truck.
Old 05-22-03, 12:24 PM

Originally posted by elias
I don't think the Eradicator was the ship. I think it was some Kryptonian artifact.
The Eradicator is the physical manifestation of the Eradicator Program, which is one of the last surviving relics of Krypton. Once activated on Earth, it is the one that constructed the original Fortress of Solitude. When it did, it tried to get Clark to return to his Kryptonian herritage, and forget Earth's. When Clark's family and friends (mostly his parents) stepped in the Eradicator Program tried to kill them, and Clark snapped out of whatever hold the program had on him. He nearly destroyed it afterward.

After Superman died, The Eradicator Program came to life and more or less constructed the body that is the Eradicator. After some time, the Eradicator melded with a human who was incidently dying of cancer, David Connor. The human emotions swayed the Eradicator's actions and gave him a soul. Having children of his own, the human side often was able to push out the Eradicator program's wishes to protect them and preserve what was left of his humanity.
Old 05-22-03, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Meatpants
- The fact that Stamp is the voice of "Jor-el" is all the proof I need that Jor-el/The Ship/Krypton is not evil. They use the score from the Superman movies, then have the actor you played the main villain suddenly playing Jor-el? My hunch it's actually General Zod trying to mislead Clark. It really wouldn't make sense to have Stamp provide the voice otherwise.
That is all the proof you need? With this logic, you assume they could have just as well gotten Marlon Brando to do the Jor-El voice overs. Somehow, I don't think that's what they were thinking, and I am not suspecting they will introduce General Zod into the series anytime soon, just as I don't think they will have the Legion of Superheroes come from the 30th century anytime soon either to visit Clark.
Old 05-22-03, 12:38 PM

I've got to discount the whole "Zod" theory. It seems too "comic book" for this show. Besides, how would Zod know about Clark? How would he have gotten to the ship before Krypton exploded? He was already in the Phantom Zone by that time wasn't he?

Last edited by elias; 05-23-03 at 12:19 PM.
Old 05-22-03, 01:44 PM

I'm not 100% behind the Zod idea specifically. However, while Smallville doesn't always follow the mythology, it has shown time and again it is aware of the Superman movies. They've used the Williams score, they've had Christopher Reeve on, etc. They could have had ANY actor provide the voice for Jor-el, but they specifically chose the guy that played the villain in the movies. Don't you find that a bit odd if the whole thing doesn't turn out to be a swerve?
Old 05-22-03, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Maybe they just really like Stamp's voice and since he was in one of the films they thought they could give him a little role in the series as a tribute to the fans.
Old 05-22-03, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Christopher Reeves is a good guy, the music from the movie is used in an awesome way...

so, I do say the ship is trying to trick Clark.
Old 05-22-03, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Wait, Christopher Reeve was Superman in the movie....and he's in the show. They've been steering us wrong all along, Clark isn't Superman, Christopher Reeve is, cause it was so in the movie...

Old 05-23-03, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 296 Likes on 189 Posts
Originally posted by clemente
Wait, Christopher Reeve was Superman in the movie....and he's in the show. They've been steering us wrong all along, Clark isn't Superman, Christopher Reeve is, cause it was so in the movie...
And the real Lana Lang is.... Clark's mom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-23-03, 10:47 AM

This is EXACTLY what I've been thinking! Sometime before Clark got send to Earth, Jor-El's old nemesis reprogramed the ship with this "rule the Earth" information...hoping that if he ever got out of the Phantom Zone, he'd just come to Earth and tell Clark he was his father, and Clark would have already taken over the planet for him.

My guess is another appearance by Chris Reeve in Season Three will reveal a REAL message from Clark's REAL father that should set him on the right path.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.