DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The Kid Stays in the Picture on HBO (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/293408-kid-stays-picture-hbo.html)

meharry2003 05-19-03 01:16 PM

The Kid Stays in the Picture on HBO

The Kid Stays in the Picture is going to be on HBO on Thursday May 22 at 9pm. This is great for those who missed it in the theater.

G. Noel Gross 05-19-03 01:43 PM

Cool! Thanks for the heads up. Was hoping they'd run it.

Groucho 05-19-03 02:18 PM

Good news, I really want to see this.

Dvdsky 05-20-03 12:09 AM

Wow, what's up with the quick-to-cable route of this? Is it made by HBO Films or something?

mediabear 05-22-03 09:38 PM

Excellent. I just watched this. According to the credits, it was made by USA Films.

Decker 05-22-03 10:20 PM

Friggin' great! I really liked that film. Especially the Mia/ Frank story -- that was priceless.
I, for one, would have loved to see what the "director's cut" of The Godfather turned out like. Maybe Evans is right that he saved the film, but even monkeys with scissors would probably be able to put together a version of that film that was pretty decent. I have a hard time believing that the 2-hour cut was "terrible"

I think they were pretty charitable with his return to Paramount. Sliver, The Saint and Jade are nothing to brag about.

BTW: What was the deal with Hoffman at the end credits? Any idea what that was from?

Numanoid 05-23-03 07:56 AM

Originally posted by Decker
I think they were pretty charitable with his return to Paramount. Sliver, The Saint and Jade are nothing to brag about.
I felt that too, although "Sliver and The Saint each made over $100 Million". ;)

BTW: What was the deal with Hoffman at the end credits? Any idea what that was from?
Are you talking about the photos or the film clips? Either way, I imagine it was from Marathon Man.

Decker 05-23-03 08:56 AM

Originally posted by Numanoid
Are you talking about the photos or the film clips? Either way, I imagine it was from Marathon Man.
No. I guess you didn't watch the end credits. Hoffman does a spoof of Evans that goes on way too long and seems funnier to the camera crew than it did to me. I don't know what is was filmed for, but there was some title card with '1996' displayed at the beginning of the clip. I don't know if that's when it was filmed, or a look at the "future", but either way, Dustin was certainly older than in his Marathon Man days. (Great flick, that. I haven't seen it in years).

BTW: Nobody has more respect for Chinatown than me. It's a total masterpiece and I've seen it a dozen times. But even I can't figure the Golden Globes giving the best picture award to it over Godfather, Part II. Evans must have had some pretty close friends in the forign press that year. (Still, that's the year the Best Actor Oscar went to Art Carney over Pacino, Nicholson and Hackman for The Conversation, so go figure).

Numanoid 05-23-03 09:01 AM

Damn, I did flip it off after the credits started rolling.

Adboy151 05-23-03 09:16 AM

No. I guess you didn't watch the end credits. Hoffman does a spoof of Evans that goes on way too long and seems funnier to the camera crew than it did to me. I don't know what is was filmed for, but there was some title card with '1996' displayed at the beginning of the clip. I don't know if that's when it was filmed, or a look at the "future", but either way, Dustin was certainly older than in his Marathon Man days. (Great flick, that. I haven't seen it in years).
It's possible that it was an audition, camera test or pitch piece for DH's role in 'Wag The Dog' - which was released in '97 or so (?). He essentially channeled Evans for that role.

Decker 05-23-03 09:26 AM

Originally posted by Adboy151
It's possible that it was an audition, camera test or pitch piece for DH's role in 'Wag The Dog' - which was released in '97 or so (?). He essentially channeled Evans for that role.
Yup, I bet that was it! I knew something about it was familiar.

Buck Turgidson 05-24-03 01:00 AM

"I told you, Wes...there's never a dull moment around here..." :lol:

For what it's worth, I really liked The Phantom.

MrN 05-24-03 01:17 PM

I saw this back when it was playing in theatres and I liked it. Evans has a great voice for telling a story. I also thought the director/editor did a very good job, especially presenting some of the archives so dynamically.

However, even though Evans is self-deprecating at points, I take some of the other stuff with a grain of salt. This is entirely his point of view on a very complicated time and, lets face it, he was high at the time.

Jadzia 05-25-03 10:27 AM

The impression I got from that Dustin Hoffman clip was that it was filmed in 1976 and he was doing an imitation of Robert Evans in 20 years (1996).

Groucho 05-25-03 10:31 AM

It was good, if a bit over-produced.

Geofferson 05-25-03 07:41 PM

I watched it.

Thoroughly enjoyable.

G. Noel Gross 05-26-03 09:19 AM

Originally posted by Groucho
It was good, if a bit over-produced.
Um, that's sort of the whole point ... stylistically ... to create dynamic images from stills a la Burns' Civil War series.

Really nice flick. I think the quote at the beginning is fair warning we're not getting the whole story. What got me was the line about never making that hour and 45 minute flight to visit his wife.

Numanoid 06-09-03 06:46 PM

Yup, I bet that was it! I knew something about it was familiar.
I just saw this again, and I think I was correct. The footage of Hoffman doing Evans was from 1976. The title of the skit was "1996: Robert Evans 20 Years In The Future", which may have misled you. Also, Hoffman was clearly a young man and he also referenced Marathon Man (made in 1976). I'd guess it was just Hoffman and the crew riffing on Evans during the filming of that movie.