Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The "Buffy is Ending Denial Thread & Support Group."

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-03, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just watched the first two episodes of the series again on DVD. Some random thoughts and questions:

The Master disposed of one of his servant's eyes in the same way that Caleb disposed of Xander's.

Did we ever learn anything about the slayer that immediately preceded Buffy?

Damn, Buffy and Cordelia looked hot in those little skirts.

Joyce was made out to be a bit New-Ageish at the beginning. I am glad that they didn't really follow through on it.

Changing actresses for Willow from the pilot was a great idea. Of course it is hard to see anyone else but AH in the role now, but I think that she did a better job that the actress in the pilot.

I had forgotten about Eric Balfour in the beginning of Buffy. I think that I read that he was supposed to be one of the regular gang (later to be known as the Scoobies), but I guess they changed their minds (He is probably better known as Milo from Season One of 24, or as Gabe from 6 Feet Under).
Old 05-19-03, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And am I the only one that hasn't liked Xander from the start? I have never liked him, and he continues to irk me to this day. One good thing about the last Buffy: no more Xander!
Old 05-19-03, 03:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Haven't been watching since the pilot, but I've come fairly close. My first episode was first-run Invisible Girl/Out of Mind, Out of Sight. Watching Prophecy Girl the next week with almost no story background was an interesting experience.

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I'm glad the show is finally going. It started showing fatigue in the fourth season, and by the sixth season almost everything that had made it special and worth-watching, for me, was gone. In my DVDs, The Gift will be the last Buffy episode ever.

What's hard is dealing with the fact that, now, the show will never recover. I've been waiting for it to "get better" for a while, and the end of the series means it never will. Maybe in five years, they'll be ready to do a decent follow-up movie or two.

It's been a weird, wild ride, but I'm ready for it to be over.

Originally posted by movieking

I had forgotten about Eric Balfour in the beginning of Buffy. I think that I read that he was supposed to be one of the regular gang (later to be known as the Scoobies), but I guess they changed their minds (He is probably better known as Milo from Season One of 24, or as Gabe from 6 Feet Under).
The story, as I've heard it, is that Jesse was always supposed to die. Whedon wanted to mess with the viewer's heads by putting him in the opening credits for the first episode, and then killing him off. Due to time/money constraints, they couldn't make two versions of the opening, so the whole opening character fake-out wound up waiting until season 6.
Old 05-19-03, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm hosting a Buffy party at my place for my neighbors who watch. Seems it's got quite a following in my area.

I only really started watching about a year ago, but it's a great show.
Old 05-19-03, 04:09 PM

I wish I had thought of the final Buffy party thing. Kind of too late now though.

I've been watching since the beginning (without daring to admit to my non-watching friends) although I didn't see every episode as it originally aired. That was before my TiVo.
I finally convinced one of my friends to give the show a chance when it came to DVD. My pitch to him was that she's an "unlikely superhero" and I knew he'd watch just to see what I meant because he's a fan of unusual superheroes. Within two months he helped me get all of our friends hooked.

I'm a rare fan it seems as I like every season and think the overall life stories of the characters have been interesting and fun. I'm glad they never took the Star Trek route and ignored character issues to please the fans who wanted them to just be cardboard cutouts who never changed or were never affected by their experiences.
Old 05-19-03, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
I love(d) Buffy - but am I the only one who thinks that this the right time for it to end?

Haven't they done everything they can? Wouldn't keeping it on life support cheapen what has come before?

6 1/2 years (145 episodes) is plenty - time to move on.
Old 05-19-03, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by slop101
I love(d) Buffy - but am I the only one who thinks that this the right time for it to end?

Haven't they done everything they can? Wouldn't keeping it on life support cheapen what has come before?

6 1/2 years (145 episodes) is plenty - time to move on.

IMHO, I think they have several directions (not spin-offs) they could take the show and have it interesting. That is of course if only the actors are into it. I think the biggest thing the show is missing right now, and why it's good to stop it, is the actors just aren't into it anymore it seems.
Old 05-19-03, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by wendersfan
Although I am as devoted to the series as just about anyone, I think I'm a fairly atypical Buffy fan. I hate the first season, and strongly dislike seasons 2 and 3. I don't think the show was consistently good at all until season 4 (the one everyone seems to hate). I couldn't stand the high school milieu, and my two least favorite characters from the shows entire run are Cordelia and Angel. I also don't like Faith much at all. The other atypical thing about my fandom is that I think season 6 is by far the best season, and one of the best seasons of any show, ever. I don't care if SMG thought it was too dark, or if other fans didn't like it, I thought it was great.
Right there with you, wenders.

Season 6 blows away all of the other seasons.

Old 05-19-03, 05:48 PM
AJP
Suspended - needs to provide a working email

Originally posted by palebluedot
IMHO, I think they have several directions (not spin-offs) they could take the show and have it interesting. That is of course if only the actors are into it. I think the biggest thing the show is missing right now, and why it's good to stop it, is the actors just aren't into it anymore it seems.
I agree. I spent most of early season 7 hoping it wouldn't be the last, but now I'm ready for it to end even though I believe there are still good stories left to tell.

Based on this season, it seems to me many of the people making Buffy, both in front of and off camera, are just plain burned out and need a change.

Better for Whedon to pack it in, concentrate on Angel for now and hopefully come back with a spinoff or movie later IMO.
Old 05-19-03, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wow...What a day... today on SPACE (a canadian sci-fi channel) they had a BUFFY marathon... the top 10 episodes as voted by fans... so I watched 10 solid hours of BUFFY...and then, THE SERIES FINALE was on another channel...just finished the 11 hours of pure BUFFY goodness... reminds me of all things I'll miss about the show...but hell, I'm just happy it had such a good run.

MATT
Old 05-19-03, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Matt,
What were the favorite episodes? I totally forgot about the marathon, but I did watch some of the episodes on DVD...
Old 05-19-03, 11:59 PM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yes, Buffy will be missed.

But at least we have a spinoff still kicking around - woulda been sadder if I hadn't heard the Angel renewal news.

And hopefully Joss and Co. are thinking of the next show / project...
Old 05-20-03, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I discovered Buffy last year on DVD and have seen every episode since then. It is probably my favorite show of all time after The Simpsons.

Without getting into any spoilers, I've seen the finale and I have to admit getting chocked up about it being the end.
Old 05-20-03, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well I just watched the last episode and....
Old 05-20-03, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Today will be the last time my wife and I ask each other "Is it a new Buffy tonight?"

Old 05-20-03, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend