DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Six Feet Under - 5/18/03 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/293281-six-feet-under-5-18-03-a.html)

Daytripper 05-18-03 09:10 PM

Six Feet Under - 5/18/03

Great episode. But I have no idea how this is going to end. In two weeks that is.

Thoughts?

Numanoid 05-18-03 09:39 PM

Wait, isn't there just one more episode? I'm confused.

Michael T Hudson 05-18-03 09:41 PM

Yes but the last episode is in two weeks on June 1.

JonTurner 05-18-03 10:30 PM

Haha, for the first time ever, I'm glad they're putting it off a week... since I'll be out of town over memorial day weekend where there's no HBO.

It all works out once in a while! :)

Oh yeah, and GREAT EPISODE!!! I'm glad David gave Ruth a little perspective so as not to run into the marriage TOO fast.

And damn did those tattoos turn me on... yowsers! When it became clear that she was gonna go after Nate (i.e. the second she called him over to the couch), you just start to think about all that means to his character, and what he's going through right now... does any show on TV make you feel for its characters anywhere near as well as SFU?? No way.

Gizmo 05-18-03 10:36 PM

The girl with the tatoos...wow... She was LOUD :)

conscience 05-18-03 10:39 PM

They are showing that HBO movie that they keep promoting House Urmbia or whatever...that is why it isn't showing next Sunday night.

----------

-I thought it was the most dramatic episode this season.

-I "liked" how Claire said "Can you give me a ride. I have to get an abortion." She is just so dead pan that it is awesome.

-Glad David told Keith off. He needed it.

-I was shocked that Nate called that pipe chick for a quick screw.

-Ruth is a rusher.

bdshort 05-19-03 02:28 AM

Outstanding episode... my favorite of the season so far, but I think the finale might top it.

Did anyone think the preview for the next show revealed a bit too much, or were they just being misleading?
Spoiler:
Claire says "He died?" - I'm assuming this is probably Russel, but could it be Ruth's new guy? Nate? They also seem to give away that Lisa returns, but that could just be one of those daydreams the show likes to pull on you. It didn't seem that way from the preview, however.

Jehan 05-19-03 04:36 AM

Good stuff this week, from the preview it does indeed seem like a lot is going to happen in the finale - but maybe not.

The point about how SFU makes you feel for the characters is very valid, the situations are not extraordinary but the subtlety of the writing mixed with the amazing performances we get week in week out make me keep watching it.

lisadoris 05-19-03 07:20 AM

Great episode.

Ruth's marriage thing just came out of no-where but it makes perfect sense for that character.

Claire asking Brenda for a ride to the clinic was just flat and honest.

David and Keith, what to do with these two. I hate to see the actor who plays Keith go anywhere but that relationship needs some serious help. Nice to see David stand up for himself and get a little action on the side.

The scene with Nate crying in the bathroom was just heartbreaking. He's falling apart. It will be interesting to see how this season ends. Two weeks, can't wait!

Patman 05-19-03 07:33 AM

Who didn't like the tattoos?

Brenda response (to Claire's request for a ride to the clinic) was classic Brenda:

"Oh sure."

Claire didn't really have a lot of angst going on with her decision to end her pregnancy (I mean the kind of angst that paralyzes you). I guess her talk with Ruth earlier got her to move with this course of action over carrying the baby to term.

I couldn't believe how fast Ruth is falling for the new guy (Cromwell). His marital past was kind of humorous and sad.

I'm waiting for a 6FU-Soprano crossover where Rico puts a hit on his sister-in-law.

Nate is in quicksand and sinking deeper and deeper. His little tryst (and the comedy from his need for sex, and his need to keep that woman quite during sex, so she wouldn't wake up his daughter, was pretty humorous).

Did David got some serious face time or what in this episode. The meltdown scene between Keith and David made me forget they were just acting, as I got caught up in the characters at their relationship crossroads.

Geofferson 05-19-03 08:33 AM

Great episode last night. Brenda's response to Claire was great. Kudos to David for finally telling Keith how he feels. I feel so sorry for Nate - he's had a rough couple of seasons.

Numanoid 05-19-03 08:39 AM

Ok, just a humorous observation, and I hope this doesn't offend anyone, but during the David-Keith breakup scene, you can see the nametag/ID patch on Keith's shirt. It says Home Alert, but the tail of the last "e" in "Home" is so close to the top that, at first glance, it looks like
Spoiler:
"H0M0 ALERT"
. I thought that was pretty funny considering that David was exploding as never before in that scene. I wonder if it was intentional or just a coincidence.

rfduncan 05-19-03 08:43 AM

Did anyone else see really deliberate parallels between David and Nate's behavior in this episode. It was kind of fascinating to see them doing the same things for completely different reasons (I started to notice it 1st at the breakfast table when they kept "jinxing" each other:)).

"Twilight" - great name for the 2nd to the last episode for this season.

I hope we get a little more Billy before this season ends.

Both of David's outbursts with Keith were DEAD ON and fantastic. He has definitely put Keith on the defensive if their relationship is to continue in any capacity. lisadoris - I wouldn't worry about Keith disappearing in the future any more than Brenda has this season. Remember he and David were split up most of last season and Keith because a featured character who is now in the opening credits. He'll be sticking around for sure!

An odd but great, great episode. Good job, Kathy Bates! :thumbsup:

Daytripper 05-19-03 09:47 AM

Originally posted by Numanoid
Ok, just a humorous observation, and I hope this doesn't offend anyone, but during the David-Keith breakup scene, you can see the nametag/ID patch on Keith's shirt. It says Home Alert, but the tail of the last "e" in "Home" is so close to the top that, at first glance, it looks like
Spoiler:
"H0M0 ALERT"
. I thought that was pretty funny considering that David was exploding as never before in that scene. I wonder if it was intentional or just a coincidence.

OMG! I thought the same thing Numanoid (the company logo on Keith's shirt). Too funny!

Also, did anyone think Lisa might walk in on Nate as he was having sex with that girl? That's all I kept thinking. How odd was it that both brothers were cheating on their s.o.'s at the same time? Last, when George (James Cromwell) tells Ruth he had been married six times before, I immediately felt he could be one of the guys that marries women to steal them blind. Although I do like his character. The jury is still out on this guy. That happened way too fast. But glad to see Ruth happy.

And yes, Brenda is the bomb. She's my favorite. Although she was hardly on at all this season :( :( :(

Jadzia 05-19-03 09:55 AM

Originally posted by Patman
Claire didn't really have a lot of angst going on with her decision to end her pregnancy (I mean the kind of angst that paralyzes you). I guess her talk with Ruth earlier got her to move with this course of action over carrying the baby to term.

I honestly don't think Claire ever considered having the baby. I just don't think that was something her character would be into. Which is why she didn't have to go through any sort of heart-wrenching decision-making process. She just did not want to be pregnant at all. She was very matter-of-fact about it, she knew what she needed to do. I loved her deadpan delivery to Brenda, asking for the ride. That is so Claire.

Daytripper 05-19-03 11:05 AM

Originally posted by Jadzia
I honestly don't think Claire ever considered having the baby. I just don't think that was something her character would be into. Which is why she didn't have to go through any sort of heart-wrenching decision-making process. She just did not want to be pregnant at all. She was very matter-of-fact about it, she knew what she needed to do. I loved her deadpan delivery to Brenda, asking for the ride. That is so Claire.
Didn't you think that for a split second, while she was watching Nate's baby, that she was pondering the idea of what to do?

hgar78 05-19-03 11:28 AM

ok, what i saw was great but i missed the last 15 minutes or so. :( i missed the breakup, the quick screw (saw it but was on the phone so wasn't sure if it was a "dream" or something) and the rest.

Jadzia 05-19-03 11:54 AM

Originally posted by Daytripper
Didn't you think that for a split second, while she was watching Nate's baby, that she was pondering the idea of what to do?
I think she was so befuddled at trying to get Maya to go to sleep it only cemented in her mind that she was in no way ready to have a baby of her own.

It is interesting how Ruth opened up to David about her marriage plans and she actually took his advice to slow down. While Claire didn't open up to anyone in her family. I think her mind was made up and she didn't want anyone to try and talk her out of it or judge her.

But this episode was interesting how all the characters seemed to do something sudden to try and get out of their current rut. (Nate acting out sexually and finally admitting Lisa may be dead, David cheating on Keith and ending the relationship, Ruth getting serious with a new man). Rico was the only who still seems trapped in his situation and is not taking any action.

boobietheclown 05-19-03 12:26 PM

Originally posted by Daytripper
I immediately felt he could be one of the guys that marries women to steal them blind. Although I do like his character. The jury is still out on this guy. That happened way too fast. But glad to see Ruth happy.
My brother in law mentioned this also, with further proof that there was no picture on "his" textbook...???

-J

Patman 05-19-03 12:37 PM

I'm not feeling the love for George either, plus, I didn't need to see him without a shirt on for all of his scenes with Ruth. Yeesh!

Jadzia 05-19-03 12:40 PM

Originally posted by boobietheclown
My brother in law mentioned this also, with further proof that there was no picture on "his" textbook...???

-J

I thought that was an odd exchange also (setting up something in the future?) but I can't honestly remember many textbooks which feature pictures of the author.

Patman 05-19-03 12:50 PM

Well, it was a textbook on rocks, no less...

HistoryProf 05-19-03 12:59 PM

Did Ruth officially pass ownership on to David and Nate? I ask because I was wondering as well if the Cromwell character is a serial fleecer of all those wives. could this be a set up for Cromwell trying to get the funeral home out from under them? Is Ruth vested at all anymore? It seems to me that she isn't....but I can't recall one way or the other.....

Dr. Rosenrosen 05-19-03 01:06 PM

Ruth should ask the Cromwell character if he knows Ross Geller...

I liked the episode last night, especially the David-Keith stuff. This show does arguments really really well, in an honest way.

I was surprised about the abortion scene, thinking it would be some long drawn out thing. But it was played as more routine (though still difficult), which is shocking in its own way.

Any more thoughts on the Nate is dreaming scenario?

bdshort 05-19-03 06:43 PM

When I was watching the show, I didn't give the comment about George not having his photo in his textbook a 2nd thought. But now that it has been mentioned, I'm beginning to think you guys are on to something. There is more to George than meets the eye (too bad too, because it seems Ruth is really happy now)