Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Friends 05/15/03 Season Finale

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Friends 05/15/03 Season Finale

Old 05-16-03, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
From what I've read, I'm not too excited about watching my tape from last night now....
Old 05-16-03, 04:01 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I liked it. I thought the ending was great. It felt wrong, but the fact that it felt said something. Props to the writers.

but i do think your right, i think in friends tradition were going to find out that nothing will happen. All friends season finales are like that.
Old 05-16-03, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by huzefa
OK, so Ross is giving a lecture, but he's standing RIGHT IN FRONT of the screen?! What the hell is wrong with these people?

Yeah, I noticed that too. How about the fact that it's a super-important lecture that they came all the way to Barbados for, and there were like 20 people in audience. Seven of whom came with Ross.

Gotta feel bad for Joey. Chandler stole his girlfriend a few years ago, and now Ross does the same thing. With friends like these.....

Honk!
Old 05-16-03, 05:42 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 284 Likes on 217 Posts
Originally posted by Charlie Goose

Yeah, I noticed that too. How about the fact that it's a super-important lecture that they came all the way to Barbados for, and there were like 20 people in audience. Seven of whom came with Ross.
20 people is a packed house for a lecture. I gave one while I was an undergrad where I flew out to Montana from school in Wisconsin and I had 10 people show up for mine in this massive lecture hall. And 4 of them were my friends who were there presenting to.
Old 05-16-03, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by MrX
20 people is a packed house for a lecture. I gave one while I was an undergrad where I flew out to Montana from school in Wisconsin and I had 10 people show up for mine in this massive lecture hall. And 4 of them were my friends who were there presenting to.
But this wasn't just a lecture, it was a conference.... and it was the keynote speech.
Old 05-16-03, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 302 Likes on 220 Posts
I missed the first half hour of the show because my stinkin' satelite went out while recording. But caught the second half. Thought it was pretty funny. However, am I the only one who thought Joey kissing Rachel was a little creepy? I mean, I know he had the hots for her at first. Then she just wanted to jump his bones. But seeing it actually happen, or seeing them kiss, just felt weird. Or wrong. Can't explain it. It just didn't feel right to me.
Old 05-16-03, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Morf
A pretty good episode.

One question: if Ross's hard-drive was fried, where did all of his presentation slides come from?
From the land of poorly thought-out plot contrivances, of course.
Old 05-17-03, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,646 Likes on 4,538 Posts
Originally posted by Charlie Goose
Gotta feel bad for Joey. Chandler stole his girlfriend a few years ago, and now Ross does the same thing.
No he didn't. They were on a break!

How and when did Ross become famous in the palentology community? I thought he wasn't even respected at his own school, and suddenly he's world-renown?

I don't think there's any point in making a show like this 75 minutes. It's just too long. Sitcoms should be 30 minutes. That was a definite stretch.
BTW : How do they deal with shows like this and the "Supersize" episodes in syndication? Do they just cut out 10 minutes of material (and yes, I know this one will be in two parts, but there's still that 15 extra minutes)?

Last edited by Decker; 05-17-03 at 07:27 AM.
Old 05-17-03, 07:41 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Getting joey and rachel together is about the dumbest idea ever. Joey is at times the funniest character on the show because he is so dumb. rachel is not. getting the two of them together is stupid. plus it seemed kinda incestious.

i think this show is done for me. ross and rachel at least makes sense since he had a crush on her since high school. goodbye friends
Old 05-17-03, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think (someone correct me if I am wrong) that Matt Perry almost became a professional tennis player - so maybe thats why

Originally posted by Darq

Chandler was the only one who really looked like he knew how to play.
Old 05-17-03, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 302 Likes on 220 Posts
Originally posted by sabre
Getting joey and rachel together is about the dumbest idea ever. Joey is at times the funniest character on the show because he is so dumb. rachel is not. getting the two of them together is stupid. plus it seemed kinda incestious.

i think this show is done for me. ross and rachel at least makes sense since he had a crush on her since high school. goodbye friends
Incestuous. Perfect word to describe it. And I almost wrote that but was afraid I'd get flamed. I just don't like that the story went this route at all !!
Old 05-17-03, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So many people wanted Joey & rachel to get together; and where are they now?
Old 05-17-03, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

admitedlly, i have not watched much this season, but i am also in the camp of those who don't want rachel and joey to end up together. it just seems like a plot contrivance to draw viewers instead of a natural progression of the characters.
Old 05-17-03, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,396 Likes on 950 Posts
can anyone give a quick summary of the last 15 minutes? Tivo stopped b/c CSI came on.
Old 05-17-03, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Deftones -- long and short of it:

1) Monica and Mike played the ping pong game to a final point -- Monica hurt her hand, could not continue -- Chandler, out of love for her, took her place, guaranteeing that she would lose... only Chandler suddenly did not suck and really could play, and won the point handilly.

2) Charlie breaks up with Joey when she realizes that the two of them have nothing in common. (And it took her that long...) Then she tracks down Ross, and the two of them start sucking face.

3) Joey discovers that Rachel has the hots for him, and confronts her. She admits her feelings, and then Joey turns her down cold. "It wouldn't be fair to Ross," he explains. Then he catches Ross and Charlie exchanging each other's saliva.

4) Joey marches purposefully back to Rachel's room, knocks on the door, and when she answers, steps in and passionately begins kissing her. Fade to black.

Man, I so need to be writing for Soap Opera Digest...

Last edited by NCMojo; 05-17-03 at 09:43 PM.
Old 05-17-03, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My two cents worth:

1) Who on earth chooses Mike over David? I mean, Hank Azaria's character is only my favorite Friends significant other of all time! And the love of Phoebe's life? I mean, Paul Rudd is OK and all, but... heck, he's Paul Rudd!

2) Was Chandler funnier than he's been in, like, three years? Man, he was cracking some great lines. My personal favorite: David is asking Chandler for advice after Chandler warned him how horrible his advice was:

DAVID: So, umm, why did Phoebe break up with Mike?
CHANDLER: Oh, well, I think it was because his penis was too big.

3) Umm, Ross's speech... hello? That was a groundbreaking keynote speech? I heard more and better paleontology in Jurassic Park. Hey, if ER can get actual doctors to help them write the show... hint-hint...

4) Joey and Rachel? Ugh. I can see this ending in disaster. Then again, I have said that, like, ninety-two times over the past five years, and every time the writers of Friends have somehow managed to pull back from the edge of the precipice. So I guess I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and see how they handle this.

Overall, a good episode. It had a good beat, and you could dance to it. I'd give it three stars.
Old 05-17-03, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

#3 shouldnt bother you considering ITS FRIENDS and ross nor the writers are ACTUAL paleontologists! you were expecting an actual groundbreaking speach on dinosaurs on 'must see tv'???
Old 05-17-03, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
I just don't like the whole rachel-joey thing at all....not one bit. It just didn't look right.....too wierd and doesn't fit AT ALL. I hope they end that quickly next season.

One thought I had...seeing as how the Joey spinoff is apparently a go....maybe he leaves early next season and ditches Rachel for an acting gig in CA? I can't see her going on to another series seeing as how she is the one cast member with a decent film career.
Old 05-18-03, 09:09 AM

I totally agree with this statement and hereby proclaim that this series "Jumped the Shark" with this scene!
Old 05-18-03, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm fine with Joey and Rachel getting together as long as they can reasonably support it next season. The Ross/Rachel thing has become annoying, it has drug on for too long. If they can find a way to make Ross and Rachel work out in some semi-logical way then I'll be fine with that, too. All I want out of the show is for these characters to reach reasonably logical conclusions by the end of the series.

Last edited by hotaru_san; 05-18-03 at 09:39 AM.
Old 05-18-03, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,396 Likes on 950 Posts
Originally posted by ncmojo
Deftones -- long and short of it:

1) Monica and Mike played the ping pong game to a final point -- Monica hurt her hand, could not continue -- Chandler, out of love for her, took her place, guaranteeing that she would lose... only Chandler suddenly did not suck and really could play, and won the point handilly.

2) Charlie breaks up with Joey when she realizes that the two of them have nothing in common. (And it took her that long...) Then she tracks down Ross, and the two of them start sucking face.

3) Joey discovers that Rachel has the hots for him, and confronts her. She admits her feelings, and then Joey turns her down cold. "It wouldn't be fair to Ross," he explains. Then he catches Ross and Charlie exchanging each other's saliva.

4) Joey marches purposefully back to Rachel's room, knocks on the door, and when she answers, steps in and passionately begins kissing her. Fade to black.

Man, I so need to be writing for Soap Opera Digest...
Sweet! Thanks so much! You rock!
Old 05-18-03, 03:46 PM
Banned

Originally posted by brizz

One thought I had...seeing as how the Joey spinoff is apparently a go.....
Are you joking? There really is going to be a friends spin off? Didnt they already try that with Jesse?
Old 05-18-03, 07:07 PM
Retired

Originally posted by Morf
A pretty good episode.

One question: if Ross's hard-drive was fried, where did all of his presentation slides come from?
I don't know about you, but if I have to give a presentation, I back it up on a floppy or CD so if my HD craps out I can at least use another laptop to do it.
Old 05-20-03, 11:11 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 140 Likes on 121 Posts
I thought Mac's did not get Viruses?

and I think Joey and Rachel are perfect for each other
Old 05-23-03, 10:43 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Excellent summary ncmojo, I also missed the last 15 minutes, thanks.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.