Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

the west wing (season finale) 5/14

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-03, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It looks like Im th only one that wanted to throw some large object at my television last night after watching this program. Sorkin did his best impression of the Titanic last night with that episode.

Lets see in reality the 25th Amendment (in part) was instituted to insure that FDR only served two (2) terms. And the last time it was used was August 15, 1974, by "Tricky" Dick. Do not even get me started on how the writers will "restore the power of the President" to Bartlett.

I honestly felt like I was watching something DEK would put together to insure the failure of the program. How in the blue hell does this "ship rights it course" without completely trashing the constitution?

And how about Danny and Donna's story lines, both seem to have been completely ignored. Im sorry, but Donna being asked if she loves Josh seems like a nice ender for her this season, but to just avoid the subject in this episode but still have her in it seems really stupid. Danny's wasnt as "big" but come on a reporter is about to "out" the WW for orchestrating the death of a PM, and nothing is said?

I am sorry but when a program roughly based on "reality" goes this far off the "beaten path" there is a huge problem. The worst part is that the first episode of next season is going to be in the hands of no one (significant to the past successes) that can do the WW justice.
Old 05-15-03, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally posted by retihsuhnt

Lets see in reality the 25th Amendment (in part) was instituted to insure that FDR only served two (2) terms. And the last time it was used was August 15, 1974, by "Tricky" Dick. Do not even get me started on how the writers will "restore the power of the President" to Bartlett.

The 25th amendment was ratified in 1967. FDR died in 1945. Plus it has nothing to do with term limits.

It is not that hard to envision the return of power. Zoe is recoved - the incapacity no longer exists and Bartlett reassumes the Presidency.
Old 05-15-03, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was stating that FDR was the last President to have more than two (2) terms in office. And Im sorry, but Congress can limit the term of a President via the 25th Amendment. Section 4 of the 25th Amendement reads: "Whenever the Vice President and a majority of either the principal officers of the executive departments or of such other body as Congress may by law provide, transmit to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives their written declaration that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, the Vice President shall immediately assume the powers and duties of the office as Acting President."

Last edited by retihsuhnt; 05-15-03 at 10:42 AM.
Old 05-15-03, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
I was stating that FDR was the last President to have more than two (2) terms in office. And Im sorry, but Congress can limit the term of a President via the 25th Amendment.

Even if Zoe is returned, the President must sign over the power of the Presidency to Bartlett. As long as that letter is not signed Bartlett is SOL.

You are confusing the 22nd amendment with the 25th amendment.

The Acting President doesn't necessarily need to formally relinquish the Presidency:

(paraphrasing the 2nd paragraph of section 4) Once the discharged President provides notice that he can reassume duties, even if the Acting President objects AND a majority of the cabinet objects, it would take a 2/3 vote of Congress to prevent the former President from reassuming the Presidency.

Last edited by Red Dog; 05-15-03 at 10:56 AM.
Old 05-15-03, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrgggggghhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My TiVo decided to record Enterprise instead of West Wing I *really* don't want to have to wait six months until all the repeats are done with...
Old 05-15-03, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by huzefa
Goodman was a dick. He's yelling at the president, even before he had been sworn in and worst of all, Bartlett hadn't even signed his removal paper!
The whole reason Bartlett was handing over power was that he felt he could no longer be impartial and make any decisions. In essence, he had no power.

Goodman was just coming in and taking charge right away... which is -- whether he realizes it or not -- exactly what Bartlett was asking him to do. He wasn't being a dick, he was doing his job.

And, yes... FANTASTIC episode.
Old 05-15-03, 11:22 AM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Do not even get me started on how the writers will "restore the power of the President" to Bartlett.
Huh? They already told us... Bartlett already had the letter written up declaring his reassumption of the presidency.
Whenever the Vice President and a majority of either the principal officers of the executive departments or of such other body as Congress may by law provide
Well... there is no VP. His cabinet would obviously vote unanimously that he be reinstated. As for the other "body"... I'm not sure what body that could mean. But, as Red Dog pointed out, it would take 2/3rds majority to overrule.
Old 05-15-03, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don’t usually join in after so many have gushed over a great show, but DAMN!!

Leo showing up looking like hell, and with the attitude he was about to tell his best friend the worst news ever.

Ms. Bartlett wanting to make an impassioned plea and the mad scramble to keep her from it.

“They come with hats.”

Goodman () striding down the hall with great purpose. (I’ve got the Emperor’s Theme from Star Wars going thru my head.)

Yes, Goodman was being a dick. He’s a Republican. Whadduya expect? And he did absolutely the right thing.
Old 05-15-03, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Normally, I don't really care for this show. I hate the whole "Democrats are good, and Republicans are bad" schick, but I rather enjoyed this episode.
Old 05-15-03, 02:49 PM

Originally posted by thecrazydude
Normally, I don't really care for this show. I hate the whole "Democrats are good, and Republicans are bad" schick, but I rather enjoyed this episode.
This episode was good b/c that attitude didn't show up at all. Yes, they were unsure about handing over the White House (and in their minds, the next election) to the other party, but I'm sure that either party would have felt the exact same way.
Old 05-15-03, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Jeeden

-Love the casting of John Goodman for the speaker. Did everyone else know that he was going to be on?
i knew about it just because i read it in entertainment weekly last week. other than that they did a good job keeping it secret as he was not listed as a guest star in the opening credits.
Old 05-18-03, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts
Goodman as the speaker was a brilliant casting choice. I applaud the courage of Sorkin and the WW producers for that season finale.
Old 05-19-03, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
poor huck, I can already think of how bad his school years will be
first it'll be duck, then when he gets older...
Old 05-19-03, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
all he has to do is write another letter and he's back, per the amendment
and it was used by George Bush a year ago, granted only for about an hour, while he had a colon exam
Reagan also used it for surgery, although he claimed he wasn't envoking it. seems to me though if you do something as outlined in the 25th you're using the 25th
http://hnn.us/articles/812.html