DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   FOX - Fall 2003 Schedule: Fastlane, John Doe axed; Boston Public to Fridays (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/292427-fox-fall-2003-schedule-fastlane-john-doe-axed%3B-boston-public-fridays.html)

Red Dog 05-14-03 02:53 PM

FOX - Fall 2003 Schedule: Fastlane, John Doe axed; Boston Public to Fridays

:down: to cancelling Fastlane especially since it ended on a cliffhanger

Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 1:13 PM
FOX to Move 'Boston,' 'Wanda' to Fridays
By Brian Ford Sullivan

CHICAGO (thefutoncritic.com) - FOX is expected to move "Boston Public" and "Wanda at Large" to Friday nights when the network presents its fall 2003 schedule tomorrow morning. The moves are part of an aggressive schedule that will likely see changes to almost every night on its lineup.

Here's a rundown of the latest developments:

-- Mondays are set to see "Joe Millionaire 2" slide to 8:00/7:00c as a lead-in to Jerry Bruckheimer's latest drama "Skin," which involves the adult film industry.

-- Wednesdays have "That '70s Show" remaining at 8:00/7:00c followed by newcomer "A Minute With Stan Hooper," starring Norm Macdonald as a TV commentator who moves to a small town. "The Bernie Mac Show" will also stay put at 9:00/8:00c followed by the return of "Cedric the Entertainer Presents."

-- Thursdays see two new dramas left to the wolves with the Peter Gallagher-ensemble "The O.C." at 8:00/7:00c and the Eliza Dushku-led "True Calling" at 9:00/8:00c.

-- Fridays have FOX ditching both "Fastlane" and "John Doe" in favor of the newly relocated "Wanda at Large" at 8:00/7:00c and "Boston Public" at 9:00/8:00c. Sandwiched between the two is Luis Guzman's self-titled comedy.

-- Sundays are looking to have "King of the Hill," "The Simpsons" and "Malcolm in the Middle" stay in the current slots. Newcomers are set to fill the remaining half-hours with "Bonzai," "The Ortegas" and "Arrested Development" at the 7:00/6:00c, 8:30/7:30c and 9:30/8:30c marks respectively.

-- Tuesdays and Saturdays are expected to remain intact with "24," "Cops" and "America's Most Wanted" all staying put. Summer series "American Juniors" is looking to hold up the Tuesday, 8:00/7:00c slot until its parent series, "American Idol," returns in January.

-- As for early pickup "Wonder Falls," it's unclear when or where the series will land on the schedule. FOX had planned an August bow for the series but now it appears headed for midseason. Also at midseason look for family drama "Still Life" to pop up on the schedule as well as a second season of "Oliver Beene."

FOX presents its official schedule tomorrow.

I'll definitely check out Arrested Development, Skin and True Calling. Eliza Dushku :drool:

Rypro 525 05-14-03 03:02 PM

I've seen "Skin" before, its called "family Buisness" just "skin" is without the skin.

B.A. 05-14-03 03:03 PM

Interested in seeing Eliza Dushku's new show. I am surprised Fastlane was cut, I thought someone said it had been renewed.

I cannot believe Bruckheimer is making drama set in the adult film industry. :lol: too funny.

And Luis Guzman has his own comedy. I love that guy - hope his show doesn't suck.

Patman 05-14-03 03:04 PM

No more Fastlane (i.e. tight-fitting tops worn by Tiffani Thiessen). Bummer.

B.A. 05-14-03 03:07 PM

Originally posted by Patman
:( That does suck. And she had such charisma, too. Remember her scenes w/ Jaime Pressley? So much more we could have learned...

Red Dog 05-14-03 03:09 PM

For those hoping that Eliza Dushku heads back to the Buffy/Angel universe, you may get your wish answered quickly given the death slot they gave her new show.

Wallet Boy 05-14-03 03:50 PM

All I care about is whether or not they are going to air the remaining Futurama episodes this summer. After that, that network can go to hell.

Groucho 05-14-03 03:55 PM

Luis Guzman's new show sounds interesting, but it's in a terrible timeslot. He was in the cast of John Leguizamo's variety show, and quite funny there.

Red Dog 05-14-03 04:02 PM

Originally posted by Patman

Not to mention that this show had FHM/Stuff/Maxim lineup of hotties: the aforementioned Jamie Pressley, Krista Allen, Ali Landry, Jenny McCarthy, Naomi Campbell, etc.

Meatpants 05-14-03 04:10 PM

:thumbsup: to dumping Fastlane

:down: to renewing Boston Public :p

rfduncan 05-14-03 04:19 PM

Originally posted by Red Dog
For those hoping that Eliza Dushku heads back to the Buffy/Angel universe, you may get your wish answered quickly given the death slot they gave her new show.
What do you mean? FOX is giving this show a HUGE push by having her "host" the network television premier of Interview with the Vampire on Friday night! Eliza is also going show you some sneak peeks of her new show. :rolleyes:

Sucks about John Doe. That should have been on in the old X-Files slot. Can Malcolm. It is just a complete bastardization of the brilliant humor it used to be.

Atleast :yack:Oliver Beane is gone.

Decker 05-14-03 04:23 PM

Luis Guzman is a fantastic actor and I'm happy he got his own show, but I'm still haunted by his appearance on Frasier. It was the single worst half hour I have ever seen on TV (well, OK, I only made it 20 minutes in before I had to shut the TV off, but still). I've never watched Fraiser again and shudder at the thought of Guzman in another sitcom as a result.

Deftones 05-14-03 11:32 PM

Glad to see that Boston Public will be back. Even though it pretty much sucked this year, it was still entertaining.

I am much more excited about seeing Norm MacDonald back on TV. One of the all time great comedians! :up:

MrX 05-15-03 12:14 AM

I give Eliza's show a month. After seeing she's going to be up against CSI she'll probably wish she had done a Faith spinoff.

So much for Fox picking up either Fastlane or John Doe.

I'll probably check out Skin and Norm MacDonald's new show.

Pac-Rat 05-15-03 01:11 AM

Originally posted by Wallet Boy
All I care about is whether or not they are going to air the remaining Futurama episodes this summer. After that, that network can go to hell.
Tentatively scheduled to start in June. Key word "Tentatively".
It is FOX, afterall.

What's the point of a FOX fall preview? If it's good, or at least enjoyable, it'll be bounced around and/or cancelled and replaced by "When Police Dogs Attack Reality TV Contestants 3" :(
Anyways, I'm looking forward to seeing Norm Macdonald and a second season of "Oliver Beene".

das Monkey 05-15-03 01:22 AM

What a load of crap. There's just no hope for "fun" shows anymore. <I>Fastlane</I> was a great release for Friday evenings. Instead, we get to labor through another season of long-past-his-prime DEK slop. Yay -rolleyes-

das

UKingdom 05-15-03 03:28 AM

I agree; the axing of Fastlane was a mistake; I just hope it will be released on DVD for the fun it was while it lasted. I've never seen such high production value on a TV show.

shanester 05-15-03 04:04 AM

skin :up:

They decay of primtime tv continues :D:

Jeraden 05-15-03 07:15 AM

Originally posted by rfduncan
Atleast :yack:Oliver Beane is gone.
It says Oliver Beene will return as a mid-season show. Actually, Oliver Beene is a great show. It started off kind of slow the first couple shows, but there have been a couple of hilarious episodes of it now. I think its a really funny show and am glad to see its returning at least mid-season.

Patman 05-15-03 07:28 AM

Well, Angel is in need of some female characters, so if Faith were to at least have some guest spots on Angel, that'd be 'aight.

calhoun07 05-15-03 09:13 AM

Sucks to read about Fastlane. While I never watched the show, I can share in the pain of the fans who have their shows end on a cliffhanger. Fox did this with Lone Gunmen. They should at least green light two hour movies for these shows so they can tie up the loose ends.

I was surprised to see Boston Public still on. Wasn't that supposed to be axed? Well, with it on Friday night, I might check it out since there really isn't much else up against it, but I've opted for alternative viewing on Monday nights for the last half of this season.

Oliver Beene gets SEASON TWO???? Who green lighted that? Bring back the Tick! Andy Richter! Anything else but this!

Red Dog 05-15-03 09:14 AM

It got even worse for Eliza Dushku...her show will actually be on at 8 opposite Friends and Survivor. Well at least this gives me an excuse to finally dump Friends (which will probably be repeats more often than not since they are doing fewer episodes)

Here is the lineup and official press release link...

FOX BROADCASTING COMPANY FALL 2003-2004 PRIMETIME SCHEDULE (all times PM ET/PT)

MONDAY
8:00-9:00 JOE MILLIONAIRE (WONDERFALLS will premiere in January '04)
9:00-10:00 SKIN

TUESDAY
8:00-9:00 AMERICAN JUNIORS (AMERICAN IDOL will premiere in January '04)
9:00-10:00 24

WEDNESDAY
8:00-8:30 THAT '70s SHOW
8:30-9:00 A MINUTE WITH STAN HOOPER
9:00-9:30 BERNIE MAC
9:30-10:00 CEDRIC THE ENTERTAINER PRESENTS
*(AMERICAN IDOL results show will premiere in January '04; time slot TBD)

THURSDAY
8:00-9:00 TRU CALLING
9:00-10:00 THE O.C.

FRIDAY
8:00-8:30 WANDA AT LARGE
8:30-9:00 LUIS
9:00-10:00 BOSTON PUBLIC

SATURDAY
8:00-8:30 COPS
8:30-9:00 COPS
9:00-10:00 AMERICA'S MOST WANTED: AMERICA FIGHTS BACK
11:00-12:00 MADtv

SUNDAY
7:00-7:30 OLIVER BEENE
7:30-8:00 KING OF THE HILL
8:00-8:30 THE SIMPSONS
8:30-9:00 THE ORTEGAS
9:00-9:30 MALCOLM IN THE MIDDLE
9:30-10:00 ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/cgi/go...wswire&id=5958

Jadzia 05-15-03 10:19 AM

Gee, I wonder how long Boston Public will last on Fridays before it gets canned.

It seems like they are putting the show out to pasture, they should have just cancelled it.

It seems odd to have a show about a school not air on a school-night.

das Monkey 05-15-03 10:21 AM

Yeah. <I>Fastlane</I> belongs on Fridays. <I>Boston Public</I>'s just going there to die.

das

RichC2 05-15-03 06:07 PM

E! News Daily just said Futurama will be back this fall. (Mid-season replacement perhaps)

Wierd.

Oh and Variety reported that Futurama is officially dead.

Who knows. I just want my last few episodes.