Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Buffy 5/13 "End of Days" - spoilers

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-03, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 227 Posts
I thought the episode was okay, but had some problems. I didn't like the ending--why was Spike down there? It seemed like the only reason he was hiding in the shadows was so he could witness the Buffy/Angel reunion.

tasha
Old 05-14-03, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by grunter
Angel is utterly superfluous at this point. There was no need to involve him in this storyline.

Zero. Zip. None.
Well, that really depends on what W&H gave him to help Buffy.
Old 05-14-03, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by JNielsen
Well, that really depends on what W&H gave him to help Buffy.
Agreed. He might of been pointless to the storyline for this episode, but will likely be important to unlocking the mystery of the "mystic ax" with the W&H object.
Old 05-14-03, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
So, I take it that no one on the show has an axe to grind?
Old 05-14-03, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,650 Likes on 1,031 Posts
Originally posted by Meatpants

As for why the Ubervamps are out of the seal, add it to the list of things they never explained -

Why didn't Jonathan's blood open the seal?
They did actually explain that. He was anemic (and short ) so it wasn't enough blood.

I wonder if they will explain who left the talisman in the bathroom that summoned the zombies in the first episode this season.
Old 05-14-03, 01:19 PM

I had an odd thought.

What if a slayer using the scythe to kill Caleb was done on purpose by The First? What if that is like a requirement for the First to take form (in Caleb's body possibly). I mean Buffy could have just made a blood sacrifice using an artifact.
Old 05-14-03, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Draven
They did actually explain that. He was anemic (and short ) so it wasn't enough blood.
I dismissed that explanation because it was so silly. So all they needed to open the seal was a couple gallons of human blood? Couldn't the Bringers have just grabbed some people off the street and sliced em open? Why go through the trouble of talking Andrew into killing Jonathan?
Old 05-14-03, 01:48 PM

Why go through the trouble of talking Andrew into killing Jonathan?
At one point, it seemed like it had something to do with the special ceremonial knife Andrew picked up in Mexico. Since Andrew was already in Mexico, and pretty weak-willed, he was as good a choice as any to pick it up for the First. Once he had it, he might as well be the one to activate the seal. Since crying on the seal seemed to reverse whatever Jonathan's blood had done, it seemed like Jonathan dying was never supposed to open the seal. It just made it so that other people bleeding people on the seal could open it.

Of course, since Buffy has the knife needed to reactivate the seal, all the ubervamps running around town no longer makes sense.

On a different note...

Am I the only one who didn't think Buffy killed Caleb? The wound didn't look that bad, and there was no kind of 'fleeing of the First's power' CGI to let us know he's dead. I figured he'd either passed out or was faking dead, so that he can regroup.

And I actually thought this
Spoiler:
before the promo aired.
Old 05-14-03, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by tasha99
I thought the episode was okay, but had some problems. I didn't like the ending--why was Spike down there? It seemed like the only reason he was hiding in the shadows was so he could witness the Buffy/Angel reunion.
I'm sure it was the First's idea of a mental mind f*** for everybody's favourite soulful vamp Spike...
Old 05-14-03, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

We all know that to "kill" a baddie, you have to decapitate it, or stake it.
Old 05-14-03, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Patman
We all know that to "kill" a baddie, you have to decapitate it, or stake it.
Which is EXACTLY what I was expecting Angel to say to Buffy right after the kiss, "Better decapitate Caleb to be sure."
Old 05-14-03, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts
I think the Spike/Angel/Buffy love triangle conflict will have to play out next year on Angel with Buffy absent.

About the series finale:
Spoiler:
I seem to recall reading somewhere that the script might be a plant, and that Whedon definitely filmed three different endings. I am thinking that each one involved either Spike, Angel, or Buffy sacrificing themselves to save everybody. Another possible theory is that one of the three who gives their life is Faith. While I hate to think of her dying, it would be a nice exit for her character and she could finally redeem herself for her wrongdoings.

Last edited by Dr. DVD; 05-14-03 at 02:23 PM.
Old 05-14-03, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Which is pretty lame, eh?
Old 05-14-03, 02:28 PM

Of course, since Buffy has the knife needed to reactivate the seal, all the ubervamps running around town no longer makes sense.
This is actually answered in the preview for next weeks episode.

Spoiler:
They were shown in the preview coming out of the Hellmouth. Remember that the Seal is not the same as the Hellmouth. The Hellmouth was shown in the episode "Doomed" in the 4th season.
Old 05-14-03, 02:46 PM

Originally posted by C Roberts
This is actually answered in the preview for next weeks episode.

Spoiler:
They were shown in the preview coming out of the Hellmouth. Remember that the Seal is not the same as the Hellmouth. The Hellmouth was shown in the episode "Doomed" in the 4th season.
Which, in turn, begs the question:

Spoiler:
What was the point of the seal? Why did the First waste its time on the thing, if it's not where the main horde of ubervamps is coming from? Why not use the Hellmouth in the first place? And the thing that usually comes out of the Hellmouth is way, way scarier than the ubervamps, so why make the monster switch?

I guess at this point I shouldn't be surprised by out-of-nowhere revelations.
Old 05-14-03, 02:49 PM

I have a feeling there will be many unanswered questions after the series is over. But in a way that's fine because it'll give us fans stuff to debate and rant about for years to come.
Old 05-14-03, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,650 Likes on 1,031 Posts
I dismissed that explanation because it was so silly. So all they needed to open the seal was a couple gallons of human blood? Couldn't the Bringers have just grabbed some people off the street and sliced em open? Why go through the trouble of talking Andrew into killing Jonathan?
Do not attempt to apply logic to Season 7. It will only make Baby Jesus cry.
Old 05-14-03, 04:21 PM

I always avoid the previews for the upcoming episodes in case of spoilers, and it sounds like that was a good idea last week if they gave away the Angel bit.

On the other hand, that did me no good, since they had David B's credit at the very beginning in the "guest starring" section, which ruined the whole surprise. They keep doing that, which I've always thought Buffy would avoid, so the surprises really were surprises. Earlier in the season when Buffy & Dawn's mom showed up in the house to warn Dawn, she had the special guest star credit at the very beginning, so the whole episode you know she'll be putting in an appearance somehow.
Old 05-14-03, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It was cool last season when Giles showed up episode #21, and they DIDN'T list ASH as a guest star, which made his grand entrance all the more smashing with a dash of "Hell Yeah!" added to it.
Old 05-14-03, 06:35 PM

I disliked this episode. Just like with the rest of this season, I didn't buy it. As others have mentioned, Angel's appearence and lines were totally out of character and frankly pretty bad.

Nothing really makes sense or fits with my conception of the characters. For me, at least, there has been no continuity what-so-ever this season. I mean Buffy's friends turn on her in the last episode and this episode as soon as she walks in the door everyone is buddy-buddy like nothing happend. Buffy and Faith's make up session seemed equally lame. It. Doesn't. Work. The character development and the plot, to me, seems incoherent and inconsistent throughout this entire season.
Old 05-14-03, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 231 Likes on 136 Posts
Originally posted by Dvdsky
they had David B's credit at the very beginning in the "guest starring" section, which ruined the whole surprise. They keep doing that, which I've always thought Buffy would avoid, so the surprises really were surprises.
That's not under their control. "Guest starring" credits are apparently determined by all sorts of SAG regulations.

Why did Wood sleep with Faith?
Uh, because he's alive and he could? (Insert your own lavicious comment here.)
Old 05-14-03, 09:18 PM

As demonstrated with Tony Head last season, the guest star credit can be put just prior to the end credits, instead of following the opening credits. I think if they wanted to keep it a secret they could have. I try pretty hard to avoid any spoilers, and even I knew he has going to appear, so I don't think it would have come as surprise to very many people here (although I didn't notice his name in the opening credits, and forgot he was even supposed to appear up until that final fight with Caleb).
Old 05-15-03, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Brian_92gsr
As demonstrated with Tony Head last season, the guest star credit can be put just prior to the end credits, instead of following the opening credits. I think if they wanted to keep it a secret they could have. I try pretty hard to avoid any spoilers, and even I knew he has going to appear, so I don't think it would have come as surprise to very many people here (although I didn't notice his name in the opening credits, and forgot he was even supposed to appear up until that final fight with Caleb).
Last night's WW finale featured a big-name guest star, and I don't think his name was in the opening credits. His appearance near the end was kept a surprise.
Old 05-15-03, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

My gut tells me, after seing Dawn take control of the "kidnapped by Xander" situation that (totally my idle speculation, so unspoil the text only if you are in a speculating mood)
Spoiler:
Dawn will literally be the KEY to stopping the First Evil and company, and will sacrifice herself to save the day (and Buffy) and seal up the hellmouth, which would give Buffy some time off from the slayer duties).
Old 05-15-03, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Interesting theory, Patman.

Except (more idle speculation):
Spoiler:
It seems to me that Buffy either has to die (again), or be trapped in some alternate world, so that the mantle of Slayer is passed onto another.

As much as I love the show, I hope Joss really ENDS it - and doesn't leave it too vague or open-ended.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.