DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   NBC Announces Fall Lineup (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/291892-nbc-announces-fall-lineup.html)

movieking 05-12-03 12:00 PM

NBC Announces Fall Lineup

I know that there is some discussion revolving around this in other threads, but I figured that one should be started about each network:

From Zap2it.com:

NBC, which touted its stable schedule at last spring's upfront presentation, is shaking things up some for next season.

The network has ordered six new series -- three comedies and three dramas -- while giving on-the-bubble shows "Boomtown," "Ed" and "Good Morning Miami" a reprieve. All three earned full-season orders for 2003-04, with two moving to different nights.

The new lineup has changes on five of seven nights, with only the Wednesday lineup of "Ed," "The West Wing" and "Law & Order" and the Saturday-night movie remaining intact. The biggest shake-up will come on Tuesday, traditionally a strong night for NBC but a big problem this season.

New comedies "Whoopi," starring Whoopi Goldberg, and "Happy Family," featuring John Larroquette ("Night Court") and Christine Baranski ("Chicago," "Cybill") will run in the 8 p.m. hour. "Frasier" remains at 9 p.m., entering what could be its final year. "Good Morning Miami" moves from Thursday to the 9:30 p.m. spot on Tuesday, while "Law & Order: SVU" shifts from Fridays to 10 p.m. Tuesdays, where it will likely take on ABC's "NYPD Blue" and CBS' "Judging Amy."

Taking "Miami's" spot on Thursday is "Coupling," the adaptation of the British hit about a randy group of friends. It falls into the cushy timeslot between "Will & Grace" and "ER." "Friends" and "Scrubs" keep their spots.

Among the dramas, "Las Vegas," starring James Caan, Molly Sims and Nikki Cox, has the most protection, settling into the 9 p.m. Monday spot between "Fear Factor" and "Third Watch," which is moving back an hour. "Crossing Jordan" will return in January, allowing star Jill Hennessy time off to have her child. It hasn't been given a schedule slot.

The lighthearted "Miss Match," which stars Alicia Silverstone and Ryan O'Neal, will air at 8 p.m. Friday. "Dateline" will stay at 9 p.m., while "Boomtown" moves into the slot formerly occupied by "SVU." It will try to continue the long tradition of crime shows -- dating back to "Miami Vice" -- that have thrived in that timeslot.

"Boomtown's" move makes way for "The Lyon's Den," a legal drama starring "West Wing" alumnus Rob Lowe, to grab the 10 p.m. Sunday spot. It could face off against "The Practice" if ABC brings the show back to its old timeslot.

NBC has also ordered "The Tracy Morgan Show," starring the former "Saturday Night Live" regular, for "later this fall" but hasn't given it a spot on the schedule. The unscripted show "The Apprentice," featuring Donald Trump, is on tap for midseason.

Here is the grid:

http://tv.zap2it.com/shows/features/features.html?31547

Red Dog 05-12-03 12:04 PM

already got it here although a mod might want to change the thread title

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=291847

movieking 05-12-03 12:06 PM

Probably a good idea to change the title and merge the threads...

Manco 05-12-03 02:58 PM

I wish they would've kept SVU on Fridays at 10PM. I really liked it in that spot. Besides NYPD Blue wont it be competing with The Shield?

vallerie 05-12-03 04:31 PM

Now why did NBC have to move SVU from Fridays. And wasn't the series on Tuesdays before? During their 1st season?

Geofferson 05-12-03 04:39 PM

Wonder why Ed has moved back to Wednesday? It sounded as though it found a home on Friday. :hscratch:

Deftones 05-12-03 05:02 PM

I like moving L&O:SVU to Tuesdays. As long as it doesn't compete with 24, I'm happy. Also, a big :up: for Boomtown being renewed.

retihsuhnt 05-12-03 05:39 PM

Law and Order: SVU v. The Shield, and the winner is neither because both will be hurt by this head to head competition. Looks like the replay of The Shield at 1100 on Tuesday's or USA's rebroadcast of SVU two (2) weeks after its run on NBC might be the really winners.

nightwing82 05-12-03 06:12 PM

Oh well looks like Watching Ellie is done for.

Glad to see that Miami will be back, even though the after Frasier timeslot doesn't seem to do well for any show.

lisadoris 05-13-03 07:40 AM

I don't mind SVU moving to Tuesdays since it will follow 24. I don't know why they moved Boomtown to Fridays though. This doesn't seem like a strong enough show to survive a Friday night slot but I could be wrong.

Red Dog 05-13-03 08:16 AM

Originally posted by lisadoris
I don't mind SVU moving to Tuesdays since it will follow 24. I don't know why they moved Boomtown to Fridays though. This doesn't seem like a strong enough show to survive a Friday night slot but I could be wrong.

Friday night is relative tame. Not a lot of heat there and the NBC crime dramas have done well in that slot over the years. I am sure Boomtown will continue that tradition.

I think they are using SVU as a club against NYPD Blue and Judging Amy. NBC will sacrifice some viewers to dilute the power of those 2 shows.

calhoun07 05-13-03 08:53 AM

I like how articles about this being the last season for Frasier say that it is "likely" it will be the last season. I take that as reading, if the raise enough millions to keep Kelsey Grammer around longer, it will get an extended season, like Friends.

How long has Kelsey Grammer played Frasier Crane? Close to 20 years now, hasn't he? Wasn't he playing the character in season one of Cheers? This character has been around nearly as long as Dr Who! I think this could be a record for a character in a sit com, because I can't think of any other sit com characters that have existed as long, either in their primary series or in a spin off series.

Red Dog 05-13-03 09:04 AM

Originally posted by calhoun07
I like how articles about this being the last season for Frasier say that it is "likely" it will be the last season. I take that as reading, if the raise enough millions to keep Kelsey Grammer around longer, it will get an extended season, like Friends.

How long has Kelsey Grammer played Frasier Crane? Close to 20 years now, hasn't he? Wasn't he playing the character in season one of Cheers? This character has been around nearly as long as Dr Who! I think this could be a record for a character in a sit com, because I can't think of any other sit com characters that have existed as long, either in their primary series or in a spin off series.

I consider Kelsey Grammar the smartest man in Hollywood. He has milked this character for all its worth. He didn't whine about being typecast. He simply took the millions and kept playing the part.

calhoun07 05-13-03 09:21 AM

Originally posted by Red Dog
I consider Kelsey Grammar the smartest man in Hollywood. He has milked this character for all its worth. He didn't whine about being typecast. He simply took the millions and kept playing the part.
And he isn't being type cast either. He has picked up other roles along the way as well. Of course, everybody will think of him as Frasier. A lot of us grew up with him as Frasier, but I think that even after he leaves this show, he will continue to get roles in other shows/movies.

JasonF 05-13-03 09:26 AM

Frasier didn't appear on Cheers until 1984, meaning that he's been on TV an astounding 19 years at this point. I can't think of any characters on comedies who surpass this, although some characters stretch into the double digits over two shows. Off the top of my head, they include:

Archie Bunker (13 years)
Max Klinger (13 years)
Lou Grant (13 years, including 6 on a drama)
George & Weezie Jefferson (13 years)

What is it about 13 years? Once you leave sit coms, the winners are Ben and Joe Cartwright, who, along with Hop Sing, appeared throughout the 25-year run of Bonanza. Second prize goes to Hoss Cartwright, who missed the last season. Matt Dillon and Doc Adams each put in 21 years on Gunsmoke for third place.

Red Dog 05-13-03 09:27 AM

And he isn't being type cast either. He has picked up other roles along the way as well. Of course, everybody will think of him as Frasier. A lot of us grew up with him as Frasier, but I think that even after he leaves this show, he will continue to get roles in other shows/movies.

True - he is almost as much Sideshow Bob to me as he is Frasier.