Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Official Babylon 5 Season 2 thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-03, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmmm. Sounds like a Wizdar comment about Enterprise? Perhaps the station’s scans of the ship at a distance would miss what a closer scan in the docking bay might reveal. [You better watch yourself. You’ll end up hypercritical like ole Wizdar.

I’m not sure I buy the idea of multiple Koshes, interchangeable without “our” notice. I mean, the concept is fine, and I’ve got no real problem with that. But something will happen later that, in a way, denies the it. (Of course, there’s a way to explain that, I suppose.) Does the same physical Kosh return? I tend to think so. He can “talk” to his buddies if he wants, but I’m not buying the hive mind where all speak as one.

I’m thinking the “noise” could be like radio traffic. Why would he want to go home? So that he could have a F2F? Maybe so that he could have a little with Mrs. Kosh and spend some time with the little Koshettes?

Think of Trek’s Q. If it was a different Kosh, we would know it, wouldn't we?

Interesting seeing "Bull" Shannon with hair, huh?

Last edited by Wizdar; 05-20-03 at 08:33 AM.
Old 05-21-03, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Today's Episode: There All the Honor Lies

Summary: Sheridan is assaulted by the Minbari Lovell, and is forced to kill him in self-defense. But a Minbari who witnessed the incident says Sheridan assaulted Lovell - and everybody knows Minbari do not lie.

Possible Ranger sighting: When Vir and Londo are talking in the Zocalo, a man in what looks like a Ranger uniform walks by twice.

So after I'd read Peter's script, and decided to go with it, he (JMS) asked about Ivanova's line, "This isn't some kind of Deep Space franchise, this place is ABOUT something."

"Are you really going to use that?" he asked.

"Absolutely," I said. "It's fall-down funny."

Long pause. "You people really ARE dangerous over there, aren't you?"
Link

The second dig at Trek.

Londo holding up his doll, along with his line to Sheridan always cracks me up.
Old 05-21-03, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
Okay, I need some season 2 advice here.

I have to do some research on a TV show for a class this summer and I need help choosing an episode. I wish I could do War Without End but the S3 box set won't be out in time. Any suggestions on which episode might be best? It could be a S1 episode as well but since this thread it devoted to S2, I figured I'd start there.
Old 05-21-03, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think Coming of Shadows or The Long, Twilight Struggle would be two of the ones I would pick from Season 2.
Old 05-22-03, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Today's Episode: And Now for a Word

Summary: We see life on Babylon 5 through the eyes of ISN, supplemented by interviews, statistics and even a few commercials.

NOTE: At the end of the PSI Corp commercial a "subliminal" message flashes over the screen for just long enough to be legal. Though in France the laws were stricter, and the segment had to be cut.

The fact that the Narn cruiser destroyed a similarly-sized Centauri ship in a one-on-one battle suggests that the two are fairly evenly matched technologically. If the Centauri are indeed crushing the Narn military, as denied by G'Kar, they must have far superior numbers, or frequent help from the Shadows.

One reason for keeping Babylon 5 around was conspicuously absent from Senator Quantrell's list: the planet below the station is one of the most strategically valuable places in the known galaxy, considering what lies beneath its surface (cf. "A Voice in the Wilderness.") Given that the planet's contents were entrusted to the Babylon 5 Advisory Council, it's in everyone's best interest to keep the station up and running.

"Subliminal" text during the Psi Corps ad: "The Psi Corps is your friend. Trust the Corps."
I loved this episode. A complete departure from standard story telling and yet, still continues the overall plot.
Old 05-22-03, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
This is a good episode. This one and A View From The Gallery really shows you can tell a story in a multitude of ways and still get your point across. I never catch the subliminal message, I'm going to have to rewatch the DVD.
Old 05-22-03, 07:26 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
One thing I love about this show is that every single episode contains some information that furthers the overall plot developments. There really are no "extraneous" episodes. Sure, there are some that contain momentous plot developments and are more important than others, but I haven't seen one completely useless episode.

Re: "And Now For A Word", I find it fascinating watching Delenn's emotional change since metamorphizing. Talk about character development. Between her and Londo
Spoiler:
and little bit later Talia (I just finished watching "Divided Loyalties" - wow!)
there's a lot going on with the characters.
Old 05-22-03, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Bandoman
One thing I love about this show is that every single episode contains some information that furthers the overall plot developments. There really are no "extraneous" episodes. Sure, there are some that contain momentous plot developments and are more important than others, but I haven't seen one completely useless episode.

Re: "And Now For A Word", I find it fascinating watching Delenn's emotional change since metamorphizing. Talk about character development. Between her and Londo
Spoiler:
and little bit later Talia (I just finished watching "Divided Loyalties" - wow!)
there's a lot going on with the characters.
Bandoman - re characters changing over time...

heh heh heh --- the fun has only just begun.
Old 05-22-03, 08:15 AM
Enormous Genitals

Okay, stop with the "heh heh heh"!
Old 05-22-03, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You'll do it to others once YOU finish, I assure you.
Old 05-22-03, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Bando, would you prefer “hee hee hee”?
Originally posted by Chew
NOTE: At the end of the PSI Corp commercial a "subliminal" message flashes over the screen for just long enough to be legal. Though in France the laws were stricter, and the segment had to be cut.
Really? I’ll have to have another look. IIRC, it was there long enough to obviously not be a subliminal, but to look like it was. Perhaps to include the audience (us) as if we were part of what’s going on.

But, who can figure out the French anyway?
Old 05-23-03, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts
Originally posted by Seeker
Bandoman - re characters changing over time...
No one here is exactly what he appears.
Old 05-23-03, 06:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Today's Episode: In the Shadow of Z'ha'dum

Summary: Sheridan is shocked to learn that one of the crew of the Icarus, a science ship that exploded with his wife aboard, is alive - namely Mr. Morden. And a representative of the Ministry of Peace comes to the station to recruit personnel to the Nightwatch.

NOTE: What really happened to the Icarus is covered in the novel "The Shadow Within" by Jeanne Cavelos.

Delenn and Kosh tell Sheridan about the Shadows and the Vorlons:

D:
There are beings in the universe billions of years older than either of our races. Once, long ago, they walked among the stars like giants. Vast, timeless... they taught the younger races, explored beyond the Rim, created great empires. But to all things, there is an end. Slowly, over a million years, the First Ones went away. Some passed beyond the stars, never to return. Some simply disappeared.
S:
I'm sure this is all very interesting, but what does any of this have to do with Morden?
D:
Not all of the First Ones have gone away. A few stayed behind. Hidden or asleep, waiting for the day when they may be needed. When the Shadows come again.
S:
Shadows?
D:
We have no other name for them. The Shadows were old when even the ancients were young. They battled one another over and over across a million years. The last Great War against the Shadows was ten thousand years ago. It was the last time the ancients walked openly among us. The Shadows were only defeated, not destroyed. A thousand years ago, the Shadows returned to their places of power, rebuilt them, and began to stretch forth their hand. Before they could strike, they were defeated by an alliance of worlds, including the Minbari and the few remaining First Ones who had not yet passed beyond the veil. When they had finished, the First Ones went away. All but one.
S:
There's still one of them left. Where?
D:
(indicates Kosh, to Sheridan's great surprise) That is why Kosh cannot leave his encounter suit. He would be recognized.
S:
Recognized? By who?
K:
Everyone.

The Earth government has formed a new agency, the Ministry of Peace (nicknamed "Minipax" by its employees,) with the alleged goal of helping reduce internal tensions among the EA's populace. Its first visible action was to establish a program called the Night Watch, paying people 50 credits a week to wear black armbands and report suspicious people to the authorities so that troublemakers can be reformed before they disrupt the peace.

The Night Watch armbands seem more a tool of terror than of peace, reminiscent of the armbands worn by Nazis and other tyrannical regimes, a constant reminder to everyone that they're under observation. The program seems designed to cause people to turn in their neighbors, and it's probably naive to believe that people accused of suspicious behavior (or worse, suspicious "attitudes") will simply be put into therapy and released shortly thereafter. Combined with the Ministry of Public Morale (cf. "And Now For a Word") it suggests the Clark government is more interested in keeping the citizenry under its thumb than anything noble.

Talia was able to detect the Shadows without even trying. It's not clear whether her ability to sense the Shadows was typical for a P5 telepath, or a result of her enhanced abilities (cf. "Mind War.")
Link

A very important episode all around. Pay close attention to the exchange bolded above. Night Watch activities and Talia's detection also play an important role in the future.
Old 05-23-03, 08:23 AM
Enormous Genitals

I finished watching season 2 last night, and all I can say is: bring on season 3! NOW! (August seems so very far away.)
Old 05-23-03, 08:56 AM
Enormous Genitals

I love the Lurker's Guide. I go there to read about each episode after I watch it, and it really helps me pull together my thoughts and questions.

My favrotie JMS quote so far (re: "The Fall of Night"):

Spoiler:
"I'm sorry, but anyone who thinks the use of an angelic (or seemingly angelic character), whose likes have been written about for, oh, about 4,000 years, is ripping off Star Trek, has his head so thoroughly up his ass as to have blipped into an entirely new intestinally-based reality and desperately needs to get a wider frame of reference."

Old 05-23-03, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I finished watching season 2 last night, and all I can say is: bring on season 3! NOW! (August seems so very far away.)
Ok... I won't say it.
Old 05-23-03, 10:40 AM
Enormous Genitals

heh-heh-heh

Right?

Old 05-23-03, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Depending on how desperate you are, you could always start watching Season 3 on Sci-Fi starting Thursday June 5th.
Old 05-23-03, 11:38 AM
Enormous Genitals

I could. But I don't have cable.
Old 05-23-03, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How can you "could" if you can't because you don't? Have. Cable.

Never mind.

I think you can safely get away with watching the blooper reel now. There’s a great one of Londo.

I haven’t listened to the two JMS commentaries yet, but it’s a sure bet they are not spoiler free.
Old 05-23-03, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts
I'm just going to say that if you're that anxious to see season 3, then after you've watched 3, the wait for season 4 will be absolutely excruciating.
Old 05-23-03, 03:35 PM
Enormous Genitals

Originally posted by Wizdar
I think you can safely get away with watching the blooper reel now. There’s a great one of Londo.
I've been avoiding all special features for fear of being spoilerized
Spoiler:
I wouldn't want to learn, for instance, that the Shadows are eventually kicked out of our universe, or anything

What special features can I watch? Which disc has the bloopers? Do both seaons 1 and 2 have bloopers?
Old 05-23-03, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

One answer can be found here. Bloopers are only on Season 2.
Old 05-23-03, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
I've been avoiding all special features for fear of being spoilerized

What special features can I watch? Which disc has the bloopers? Do both seaons 1 and 2 have bloopers?
Only the commentaries have spoilers - all other features are spoiler-free (if you've finished watching that particular season, that is).
Old 05-24-03, 08:00 AM
Enormous Genitals

Originally posted by Wizdar
One answer can be found here. Bloopers are only on Season 2.
Thanks!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.