Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Babylon 5 episode: "The Coming of Shadows" - possibly the best TV ever?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 05-10-03, 10:38 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just watched the episode entitled "The Coming of Shadows" from season 2. This has to be one of the best episodes of television I have ever seen. Superbly written, superbly acted, character- and plot-driven, this is simply great stuff!

Wow. So much information, so much plot and character development. I can see why so many people love this show.

I just want to kick Molari in the head. He knows he is heading down the path of death and destruction, but he goes forward because he sees this as his only path to power. He could be bringing complete destruction to his people, but somehow he cannot stop the tide. Forces greater than he are calling the shots.

I feel bad for the Narn, but somehow I think they will not, cannot, play the central role in what is to come. They have the will, but not the power or wisdom.

If you're a sci-fi fan and haven't watched B5, GO BUY THE SEASON BOX SETS NOW!!!

I thought ST:TNG had great story arcs and political intrigue. B5 is nothing short of amazing. Why I didn't watch this in its first run is beyond me.

Just thought I'd share.
Old 05-10-03, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heh heh heh ...

You are beginning to understand why I laugh at the ignorant fools (nothing personal if one of you is reading this ) who refuse to give this show a chance.

You also might understand why I predicted a little over 2 years ago that in a decade Babylon 5 would be as big, if not bigger, than Star Trek (in terms of fandom, not studio support). This is evident at every convention where B5 guests draw the bigger crowds now.

Word of mouth. The show is so freakin' good, only a fool could deny it after having actually watched it. It's just a case of getting people to sit down and watch.

I'm sure you knew I'd say this, but I'll say it anyway ...

... you're not even at the best episodes yet.

das
Old 05-10-03, 11:15 PM
Enormous Genitals

Originally posted by das Monkey
... you're not even at the best episodes yet.

das
I believe it, yet I can't believe it! And I can't wait! I want to watch the entire series in one sitting. It's like a really good drug with no side effects (except sleep deprivation, because I watch it mostly late at night ).

I believe you when you say it gets better and better, but I really can't...you know...believe it until I see it.

Spoiler:
Sheridan is still playing an important role. Very, very cool. I really didn't expect to see him again this season. The Rangers seem to follow JMS' homage to Tolkien - Z'ha'dum, etc. I still can'twait to see how Sinclair and the whole B4 time travel incident fits into this. I thought he and Delenn would hook up, but now it seems that Delenn and Sheridan will be partners.
Old 05-10-03, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ah, but there is a side effect. Watching Babylon 5 is like taking the Red Pill. Once your eyes are opened, you can never close them again.

das
Old 05-11-03, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Babylon 5 pulled off some incredible stuff despite having only half the budget of a Star Trek: Deep Space Nine episode. It's story telling technique probably influenced other shows like Buffy and Angel.

Sometimes, I want to stick the current Star Trek writers in front of the original Twilight Zone episodes and Babylon 5 and show them that this is how good science fiction is written.
Old 05-11-03, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Not a chance

...but, if you had asked this question before I watched episode 2.16, "In the Shadow of Z'ha'dum", this afternoon I might've agreed with you.
Why I didn't watch this in its first run is beyond me.
I've been asking myself this same question lately.
Old 05-11-03, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
...Then you haven't seen "Point of No Return" and "Severed Dreams" from season three.
Old 05-11-03, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

War Without End (from season 3) is by far my favorite episode of the series. The rest of these discs can't possibly come out fast enough.

Next up would have to be the series finale.

Last edited by edclem; 05-11-03 at 11:59 PM.
Old 05-12-03, 12:19 AM

I really love this series when you start watching this show never lets you go from the aliens and their costumes ans CGI to the political intrigue amongst the humans and aliens as well as the space battles this show has it all my favorite episodes are "War without end" parts 1&2 and the coming of shadows.
Old 05-12-03, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If you thought Coming of Shadows was good, then Severed Dreams will rip you to peices.

D
Old 05-12-03, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Coming of Shadows - Winner of 1996 Hugo Award for best Dramatic Presentation

And it gets BETTER after that...
Old 05-12-03, 07:02 AM
Banned

Yes, overall one of the best written sci-fi shows ever.

The only problem I had with the show was the ending. The resolution of the shadow wars was, in my book, the finale of the show. Everything after was unecessary....
Old 05-12-03, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I did not say anything then, and I am not saying anything now.

Heh heh heh.

Old 05-12-03, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just watched And Now for a Word for the first time in quite a while over the weekend.

I love how JMS is able to take risks with the show and still continue the story. This is a great episode with plenty of important action. B5 just keeps getting better everytime I rewatch it. I pick up a line here, a line there that's very important and I had completely forgot about it.

One question though.

If you haven't seen it yet, don't peek!

Spoiler:
In the Psi-Cop commercial, what's the subliminal message? I'm using a universal remote for my DVD player and don't have a slow button!
Old 05-12-03, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm beginning to think we should just have an Official B5 discussion thread.........
Old 05-12-03, 09:39 AM
Enormous Genitals

Originally posted by Chew
I'm beginning to think we should just have an Official B5 discussion thread.........
That's a good idea. As we newcomers to the show watch, we're bound to have lots of questions and comments.
Old 05-12-03, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Spoiler:
In the Psi-Cop commercial, what's the subliminal message? I'm using a universal remote for my DVD player and don't have a slow button!
Here you go:
Spoiler:
"Trust the Corps." (and, I'm not 100% at the moment, but I believe it also says "The Corps is Mother. The Corps is Father"
Old 05-12-03, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by edclem
Here you go:
Spoiler:
"Trust the Corps." (and, I'm not 100% at the moment, but I believe it also says "The Corps is Mother. The Corps is Father"
Thanks!
Old 05-12-03, 11:33 AM

Just watched And Now for a Word for the first time in quite a while over the weekend.

I love how JMS is able to take risks with the show and still continue the story. This is a great episode with plenty of important action. B5 just keeps getting better everytime I rewatch it. I pick up a line here, a line there that's very important and I had completely forgot about it.

One question though.

If you haven't seen it yet, don't peek!

Spoiler:
From the Lurker's Guide to Babylon 5 :

Spoiler:

"The Psi Corps is your friend. Trust the Corps"

BTW - if you havent had the chance to check out the Lurkers Guide, by all means do so. It's an episode guide that breaks down each episode with plot summary, notes and analysis, hanging and unresolved plot threads and comments from JMS about the episode pulled from newsgroups and other e-mails. It's a hell of a resource for any viewer - and almost required reading.
Old 05-12-03, 02:55 PM

In JMS' book on scriptwriting the script for Coming of Shadows is in the back to show an example of an award-winning script. Really great stuff.
Old 05-12-03, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by MartyMcSuperfly
From the Lurker's Guide to Babylon 5 :

Spoiler:

"The Psi Corps is your friend. Trust the Corps"

that's it. Well, ok. I had part of it.
Old 05-12-03, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have been convinced... I'll pick up the DVD's tomorrow but I do have 1 question...

Does the series actually have an ending or did it end on a cliffhanger waiting word on renewal?

Sam
Old 05-12-03, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by HotThang
I have been convinced... I'll pick up the DVD's tomorrow but I do have 1 question...

Does the series actually have an ending or did it end on a cliffhanger waiting word on renewal?

Sam
Things were switched around in seasons 4 and 5 so the show could have ended at the end of season 4 if necessary, but it was picked up and the story was told in its entirety. Some people believe this weakened the 5th season, but mainly they just shuffled around some of the plot points, so some things don't flow as well as they could have. It's still very strong.

Babylon 5 does indeed have a series finale, and it is brilliantly done. It is one of those few pieces of television that I cannot even think about without getting emotional ... see, now I'm getting veklempt ... talk amongst yourselves ... here, I'll give you a topic: heh heh heh ...

das
Old 05-12-03, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by HotThang

Sam
Edit: well, crap again. People keep beating me to the answers (and do it better, of course )
Old 05-12-03, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just make sure you pick up the pilot disc in addition to Season 1 and 2!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.