DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   ABC Primetime Thursday - the Who Wants to be a Millioniare (U.K.) Scandal/Cheaters (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/291078-abc-primetime-thursday-who-wants-millioniare-u-k-scandal-cheaters.html)

Red Dog 05-08-03 09:04 AM

ABC Primetime Thursday - the Who Wants to be a Millioniare (U.K.) Scandal/Cheaters

On Thursday, May 8, at 9:00 p.m.: a special two-hour Primetime.
• Diane Sawyer has exclusive interviews with three would-be cheaters who came close to winning the big prize on the British version Who Wants to Be a Millionaire. Their secret: well-timed coughs.

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/prime...ire030507.html

Red Dog 05-09-03 08:00 AM

This was a really interesting story, although Primetime itself was so annoying - so many commercial breaks and they kept repeating things over and over.

Patman 05-09-03 08:04 AM

I have no idea why it took 2 hours to "cover" that story. Loved the reasons given for why the wife had 4 pagers, and over 70 pages in one day. Yeah, that's not suspicious...

*cough*bullsh!+*cough*

Red Dog 05-09-03 08:08 AM

You gotta love the British press too. I couldn't stop laughing everytime I saw that one shot of them getting into the car and that one cameraman getting knocked on his ass during the press stampede.

funstan 05-09-03 09:17 AM

These three are major cheats, I have sat in the hot seat and it is a nerve wracking experience. There is no way you can guess 5 in a row, especially those questions. The thing that got me the angriest was the disrespect shone the other contestants. It dawns on you while you are waiting that you are on the biggest game show in TV history. If you have money and do not know the answer you leave with your money. Not only did this guy pass himself off as a legitimate brain, he denied the other people a chance to win an amount of money that could have a positive impact on their life even if it is not $1000000.

Red Dog 05-09-03 09:24 AM

Originally posted by funstan
These three are major cheats, I have sat in the hot seat and it is a nerve wracking experience. There is no way you can guess 5 in a row, especially those questions. The thing that got me the angriest was the disrespect shone the other contestants. It dawns on you while you are waiting that you are on the biggest game show in TV history. If you have money and do not know the answer you leave with your money. Not only did this guy pass himself off as a legitimate brain, he denied the other people a chance to win an amount of money that could have a positive impact on their life even if it is not $1000000.

Yeah - I would have been majorly pissed if I was waiting to get on. Then the 3rd co-conspirator is the one who got on afterwards which adds insult to injury.

I did find it interesting that the 1 Million question was easier than than the ones leading up to it - that always seemed to be the case in the US edition as well.

movieking 05-09-03 12:57 PM

Talk about a cold fish! The wife was unbelievably unemotional. The excuses were flimsy at best, and it was an obvious setup. It is no wonder the wife was pissed off at the husband for taking their charade too far. It ultimately cost them everything.

Why don't they just admit it? Everyone knows they did it. They have been found guilty, and have nothing else to lose.

Red Dog 05-09-03 01:03 PM

Originally posted by movieking
Talk about a cold fish! The wife was unbelievably unemotional. The excuses were flimsy at best, and it was an obvious setup. It is no wonder the wife was pissed off at the husband for taking their charade too far. It ultimately cost them everything.

Yeah if he had stopped at 125K or 250K, the producers might have let it go.

atari2600 05-09-03 11:57 PM

Originally posted by Red Dog
This was a really interesting story, although Primetime itself was so annoying - so many commercial breaks and they kept repeating things over and over.
yeah wtf?! i taped it and more than once i thought my vcr taped over itself...they were repeating parts exactly over again and the way they were saying it didnt look like 'a recap for those just tuning in'

it was like showing the show all over again.

very very dumb.

but i was really into this. those 3 (especially the lady) are FULL OF ****!

who are they fooling? it was waaaaaaaay too obvious. im glad they got busted and their lives are ruined.

and the guy...comeon..."uh, i think its A, and ive never heard of D"

30 seconds later "well i think its D now for no reason at all!"

they coulda pulled this off if they werent idiots.

1. dont jump into an answer right away

2. dont dismiss other answers then go back to them

3. use a different code for A,B,C, and D. dont list them but have key secret words. like "hmmmm" or "lemme think" and then use the coughs.

atari2600 05-09-03 11:58 PM

Originally posted by Patman
I have no idea why it took 2 hours to "cover" that story. Loved the reasons given for why the wife had 4 pagers, and over 70 pages in one day. Yeah, that's not suspicious...

*cough*bullsh!+*cough*

i didnt get this part. why 4 pagers?? what was going on here?

atari2600 05-10-03 12:00 AM

Originally posted by funstan
not only did he 'guess' but he wasnt making educated guesses and he was guessing words he admitted never hearing before, answers he dismissed already and going against answers he already chose! he totally screwed up his part!

Originally posted by movieking

Why don't they just admit it? Everyone knows they did it. They have been found guilty, and have nothing else to lose.

agreed! i hated that lady so much too. friggin liars.

resinrats 05-10-03 01:52 AM

If I was the guy that noticed the coughing strategy, I would have coughed as well...for the wrong answer. Let the guy playing choose a wrong answer because he heard my cough.

movieking 05-10-03 06:28 AM

But the person who was coughing for the right answer was only ten feet away from him, and he could tell them from other people's coughs.

resinrats 05-10-03 12:22 PM

Immitation is the key. Enough to confuse the guy into the wrong answer. - - - - Evil laugh "mwa hahahaha!!! - - -