DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Mtv Icon:metallica 5/6 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/290868-mtv-icon-metallica-5-6-a.html)

Snapperhead 05-07-03 10:18 AM

Mtv Icon:metallica 5/6

I couldn't help myself. I was once a die hard Metallica fan and although there music has recently been moving in a different direction I still find myself hoping they will re-invent themselves again and move away from power rock/pop.

Anyway, this show was awesome, if only for nastalgia and some interesting performances (good and bad and really bad).

SUM 41 was pretty tight along with Korn.

Limp Bisquit ate a dangh per usual.

What was Snopp thinking????

Avril, sooooooo cute!!!!!!!!!

And i got goose bumps when the MIGHT MET came out and played an montage with old favs.

I think they ended the show with a new song (during the credits) and it sounded pretty good from what i heard.....

tofu 05-07-03 10:28 AM

Nice tribute but why? Why was Sean Penn there introducing Metallica? He sounded like he was hopped up on something.

jeff462v 05-07-03 10:55 AM

Re: Mtv Icon:metallica 5/6

Originally posted by Snapperhead

Limp Bisquit ate a dangh per usual.

I personally thought Limp Bizkit put on the best act of any of the performers there . They just had so much energy kinda like the 3 dolla bill yall days ! Hopefully their new stuff will go back to the old . And let's hope Metallica's new album does the same !

SCSIMan 05-07-03 11:32 AM

They just had so much energy kinda like the 3 dolla bill yall days !
I agree, I thought they and Korn were the best by far. Man is Jon Davis looking big!

I thought Avril did a respectable job, wasn't horrible but wasn't awesome.

What was Snopp thinking????
I couldn't believe it either. Totally worthless, seemed liked he messed up a few lyrics as well.

I was also 'proud' of Jason Newsted when he said that he is excited for the new Metallica CD and will be there front row.

SCSIMan

sho kosugi 05-07-03 11:53 AM

Anyone know more about the specific factors that drove Jason away?

It was kinda funny, this weekend I was digging through my old magazine collection and found a Circus with a Metallica interview when they were touring before And Justice for All was to be released. I wonder what that Metallica would have said after watching this MTV-ICON thing, being how violently anti-MTV they were at the time. I think they would've got drunk, beat the crap out of everyone, and then get more drunk.

By the way is Avril even old enough to drive a car, let alone sing Fuel?

Maybe there is hope for the future, as they did at least pay respect to their speed metal roots with the songs at the end.

db27 05-07-03 07:26 PM

There is a sweet thread over in the music forum that takes on all sorts of Metallica topics, both new and old. Including many thoughts on last nights MTVicon.

check it out.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=282023

AS for Jason leaving. It all came down to being hazed and disrespected over his 14 years in the group, he could no longer handle it. Jason wanted to be able to do his own thing while Metallica wasn't doing anything, but James at the time was a severe control freak and wouldn't allow Jason to release his projects on CD for everyone to hear.

Sadly, now that Newstead is gone. Metallica and James specifically have really "seen the light" James spent a lot of time reflecting on his time with Metallica and specifically towards Jason while in Rehab.

After rehab, the band spent months with there therapist (communication inspiration) Phil learning how to reintroduce themselves to each other. Pulling skeletons from the closet, opening up, showing emotion for each other.

Now comes the exciting rebirth of Metallica, starting fresh, from the roots of what makes them Metallica. Ready to come out and kick everyone's azz.

June 10th will be the best day of the year, you can count on that!

Goat3001 05-07-03 07:49 PM

Here are my thoughts:

Sum 41 was the only band that did a pretty good job covering Metallica.

Korn's cover was also pretty bad as well, but I liked Jonathon Davis' mic stand.

Snoop Dogg was good. Just having him there and singing Sad But True was pretty funny.

Avril Lavigne: bad cover of a bad song. IMO, she picked the wrong song to cover. I think if she did something like "The Unforgiven" or "Fade To Black" it would've been better.

Limp Bizkit: :rolleyes: worst performance period. They completely destroyed one of my favorite Metallica songs.

Jim Breuer was pretty funny, and his impressions were right on.

I'm disappointed that they didn't spend more time talking about Cliff Burton or any of the albums pre-Black album.

Metallica's performance kicked ass. They picked awesome songs to play. Thank You Metallica for not playing anything from Load or Reload. Their new song, I didnt' heard much of it but I must say from what I heard last night, St. Anger won't live up to the hype.

BJacks 05-07-03 08:56 PM

I thought Staind did a pretty good job.

Rogue588 05-07-03 09:48 PM

Haven't watched this yet..i'm sure i'll catch a repeat..

I just find it hard to swallow that Rob Trujillo was there being honoured along with the rest of the band. Granted, Cliff couldn't have been there...but Jason should've. That's 14 years of his life man. I'm glad Metallica worked through their issues [as db27 said], but I don't really think Rob should've been honoured along with them. I guess that's just a pet peeve of mine..

And of course Jonathon's mic stand is gonna rock...it was designed by H.R. Giger.

Jackskeleton 05-08-03 05:07 AM

Avril Lavigne doing metallica.. :lol: does she consider them punk as well? :p

MTV: Icon, another way of saying "We need some free promotion and don't want to shell out for commercial space" :p

cdollaz 05-08-03 09:50 AM

Breuer was pretty funny. Limp Bizkit was horrible. Durst trying to sing is laughable.

GuessWho 05-08-03 09:54 AM

Originally posted by Goat3001
I'm disappointed that they didn't spend more time talking about Cliff Burton or any of the albums pre-Black album.
Why would they?

Nothing from that time made the band icons of MTV.

After all, the show is "MTV Icon" -- Metallica was a video icon from 1988 onward.

Joeboo835 05-08-03 01:02 PM

Do you think the fact that MTV only aired 2 minutes of Frantic is because Metallica told them to? They said they're not releasing a single till the whole album comes out.

Maybe MTV isn't to blame. But i'm still going to blame them anyway.

Lateralus42 05-08-03 02:18 PM

Avril "no talent" Lavigne doing Metallica had to be the worse idea ever. She was horrible. What was even worse was the shots of Lars and James pretending to enjoy that travesty.

gerrythedon 05-08-03 06:04 PM

Originally posted by db27
There is a sweet thread over in the music forum that takes on all sorts of Metallica topics, both new and old. Including many thoughts on last nights MTVicon.

check it out.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=282023

like [db27] said, check out the above...