DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Enterprise 05/07/03 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/290823-enterprise-05-07-03-a.html)

Chew 05-07-03 04:51 AM

Enterprise 05/07/03

Episode Title: 'Regeneration'

Spoiler:
An arctic research team on Earth discovers debris from an alien vessel, nearly a century old, buried in a glacier along with the bodies of two cybernetically enhanced humanoids. Once those beings are thawed for investigation, they come to life and abduct the scientists and their transport vessel. Enterprise is called to intercept, but Captain Archer and his crew find these cyborgs to be an intractable, insidious enemy.

Written By: Mike Sussman & Phyllis Strong
Directed By: David Livingston

Wizdar 05-07-03 08:03 AM

Sorry, I thought the episode title was Regurgitation.

;)

Chew 05-07-03 08:37 AM

Originally posted by Wizdar
Sorry, I thought the episode title was Regurgitation.

;)

:lol:

I even thought I should spoiler-ize the title, but expected everybody knows by now. Notice how the description doesn't even name them? I wonder if the episode will go the same route (ala the Ferengi).

Rascal 05-07-03 09:40 AM

I wonder if Tripp will get involved and educate the
Spoiler:
cyBorg
? Missed opportunity? :) I might catch the last 10 minutes of this episode too.

lisadoris 05-07-03 09:54 AM

I can't wait to see how they explain the fact that

Spoiler:
the federation hadn't encountered the Borg before TNG and according to Guinan the federation was still ahead of schedule. Just forgetting to mention their name won't cut it since there would have been a record of a cybernetic race when Picard et al encountered them later.

There really aren't any original ideas left are there?

Red Dog 05-07-03 10:01 AM

Spoiler:
Maybe before the Borg leave, they erase the crew's memory (and memory banks) and make them believe they saw Bjorn Borg and not The Borg.
;)

Wizdar 05-07-03 10:06 AM

Oh, Borg. I misread and thought this had a Muppet tie-in. :)

B&B have a shorter attention span, and less memory-retention capacity than the Wizdar monster. As impossible as it may seem, that appears to be true.

One would think that one would have the time to, in fact be inclined to, do the research necessary for writing anything for episodic TV. Granted, the names listed for writing and directing this one do not include Dumb & Dumber, but they’re still the big guns.

Chew 05-07-03 10:11 AM

While I agree with the posts about the history here, one thing to keep in mind:

Spoiler:
these Borg are due to the events in First Contact. Future Borg were left behind when the escape pod exploded. Since they came back in time to Cochrane's time, it messes with the entire timeline. Which answers the question about Guinan, the past has been changed. You can then argue both ways, the timeline would of been changed by the time Q introduced 1701D to them, or a totally new timeline has been created.

Either way, it's an annoying time-travel headache and just an excuse to bring the Borg into the series ;)

MvRojo 05-07-03 11:42 AM

One would think that one would have the time to, in fact be inclined to, do the research necessary for writing anything for episodic TV. Granted, the names listed for writing and directing this one do not include Dumb & Dumber, but they’re still the big guns.

Actually the writing team who did this episode are two of the best writers on the show, so I'm looking forward to it.

AICN gave it a good review.

Wizdar 05-07-03 11:50 AM

Well, based on your recommendation, I’ll do my best to keep an open mind.

No, really! I can do that. Honest!

Why are you all looking at me like that?

MvRojo 05-07-03 11:52 AM

Well, based on your recommendation, I’ll do my best to keep an open mind.

No, really! I can do that. Honest!

Why are you all looking at me like that?

Hehe.

I'm actually looking forward to next week where we might get a chance to see what Earth is like more, plus we get to see Tellarites.

Chew 05-07-03 12:02 PM

Originally posted by MvRojo
Hehe.

I'm actually looking forward to next week where we might get a chance to see what Earth is like more, plus we get to see Tellarites.

And finally a follow-up on the
Spoiler:
Klingon storyline.

Bandoman 05-07-03 12:07 PM

How many more episodes left in the season? Maybe I should start watching again to see how they deal with this Borg issue.

Red Dog 05-07-03 12:13 PM

Originally posted by Bandoman
How many more episodes left in the season? Maybe I should start watching again to see how they deal with this Borg issue.

3 including tonight's.

Chew 05-07-03 12:24 PM

Originally posted by Red Dog
3 including tonight's.
Actually, I believe it's four episodes including tonights. Next week they're playing two.

MvRojo 05-07-03 12:27 PM

Originally posted by Bandoman
Well, the Borg are only a minor issue in the series. The other three episodes are more interesting. "First Flight" deals with the first test flight of the Warp 5 engine, "Bounty" picks up the Klingon/Rura Penthe storyline by having Tellarite bounty hunters after Archer, and "The Expanse" deals with the Klingons, Suliban, Vulcans, and the Temporal Cold War all with the attack on Earth.

CanadianKnight 05-07-03 03:31 PM

Regarding the established history/Borg timeline... Chew beat me to it. :) The events of First Contact have altered things to some degree.

Although with the Borg, this was a minor incident. Knowing how buraucracies function, I can see records of this event being hard-to-find after a couple of centuries.... ;)

I thought it was a good ep myself. :)

hokejka 05-07-03 04:14 PM

it was pretty good episode, IMHO one of the best in Enterprise brief history. why ? they finally stopped fu***ng around and did what they had to do. It kind of reminded me the good ol' days of Babylon 5 blast 'em all times

Lara Means 05-07-03 07:15 PM

The Borg? ugh. Does B&B have anything original left in their bodies? Enterprise has officially become Voyager. What a waste. Whats next? Q guest starring?

mikehunt 05-07-03 07:47 PM

posting this without reading first so I don't risk spoiling the last 10 minutes for myself
Reed: we might as well have been shooting holographic bullets
he wishes, then he would have been like picard and killed the borg
I realize First Contact did kind of set this up, but it was a bad idea to bring the borg into enterprise

next week
Spoiler:
didn't even take 2 full seasons to get a pon far episode :rolleyes: -rolleyes-

TK-421 05-07-03 08:25 PM

Hmm... both liked and disliked this episode... first of all, those phase pistols shouldn't have worked at all. And even if they did work once, they should've never worked again.

Also, is it really believable that phlox would be able to figure out a way to reverse the process with 22nd medical technology, when in the 24th century it was almost impossible to change someone back?

Still, if you remove the contiunity nits, it was interesting. A nice tie in to First Contact, and of course the setup for the encounter in TNG..

I can't wait to hear Wizdar's rant if he has one..

MvRojo 05-07-03 08:51 PM

Originally posted by mikehunt

next week
Spoiler:
didn't even take 2 full seasons to get a pon far episode :rolleyes: -rolleyes-

This is just the B-story thankfully.

Chew 05-07-03 09:24 PM

Originally posted by TK-421
Hmm... both liked and disliked this episode... first of all, those phase pistols shouldn't have worked at all. And even if they did work once, they should've never worked again.
Agree wholeheartly with that one.

Also, is it really believable that phlox would be able to figure out a way to reverse the process with 22nd medical technology, when in the 24th century it was almost impossible to change someone back?
This one I'm a little torn on. The 22nd century tech he was using was to determine how to cure himself, a race that seems to be fairly resistant (at least, initially) to assimilation. I would expect his treatment would of had no effect on a human, for example.

Still, if you remove the contiunity nits, it was interesting. A nice tie in to First Contact, and of course the setup for the encounter in TNG..
Although I would of rather not have the Borg on Enterprise at all, I still think they smoothed the continuity just enough that I'm not overly annoyed. Weren't the Borg heading our way when Q pushed the Enterprise along anyway?

All-in-all a pretty good effort. It was watchable, which is better than most attempts. ;)

I can't wait to hear Wizdar's rant if he has one..
Let's all pray to the Trek gods it's not overly harsh. :lol:

Bandoman 05-07-03 09:42 PM

This episode actually held my interest, which is more than this show has done lately.

Sure, the continuity inconsistencies are gaping (do you really think they wouldn't make a special note that a really badass enemy would be coming back in about 200 years?) but it was okay. To bad they have no new ideas, but they played this one fairly well.

I agree with TK-421. There's no wayPhlox could have "cured" himself. We'll see if he has residual problems from this.

mikehunt 05-07-03 10:02 PM

not sure in the original TNG history, but after voyager they definitely were, as they had assimilated the Raven (the ship 7's parents took to study the borg) before the date that Q showed up
more borg trivia, guinan's people must have stayed quiet after the Enterprise B picked them up, as they were running form the borg yet picard and crew hadn't heard of them, of course then later we find out that 7's parents had heard of them

Originally posted by Chew
Weren't the Borg heading our way when Q pushed the Enterprise along anyway?