Enterprise 05/07/03

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Enterprise 05/07/03

Old 05-08-03, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 612 Likes on 492 Posts
Originally posted by CharlesC

I have a general trek question:
They obviously can tell when they have intruders on the ship. They can use the transporter without the trasporter pad. Why didn't they transport the borg off of enterprise and into space or off of the borg transport and into space?

My guess is that they only have beaming onto and off the pads in the ship to and from outside the ship. I think I remember an episode of TOS (Day of the Dove?) where intraship beaming was supposedly very dangerous.
Old 05-08-03, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by CharlesC I have a general trek question:
They obviously can tell when they have intruders on the ship. They can use the transporter without the trasporter pad. Why didn't they transport the borg off of enterprise and into space or off of the borg transport and into space?
They can use the transporter without the transporter pad in Next Gen time. I don't recall them doing any non-pad transporting in TOS. I do remember that intra-ship beaming wasn't real recommended in Kirk's time.
Old 05-08-03, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Crap, everybody keeps beating me to the answers!
Old 05-08-03, 10:12 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
Originally posted by CharlesC

I have a general trek question:

There are three types of transporter transfers:

(1) Pad to Pad - the easiest to do, it takes up the least energy.

(2) Pad to site/site to Pad - takes more energy.

(3) Site to site - most difficult, and requires more energy. While this is done all the time on TNG, they don't appear to have enough experience or expertise with the transporter to do that on Enterprise.
Old 05-08-03, 10:13 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
Hey! Two of you beat me to the answer! Damn fast-typing Trekkie nerds!
Old 05-08-03, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by grunter
Did you notice that the usual "borg" psyche-out transmission started midway through the usual schpiel? Instead of "We are the Borg. Resistance is futile. Your biological and technological uniqueness will be assimilated and added to our own. (or somesuch)," we merely got: "resistance is futile . . . blah, blah, blah."

The word "borg" was never uttered over the course of the entire episode. Is this TPTB's idea of a "work-around?" Does the episode not violate continuity because the nano-tech aliens were never properly identified?

Wouldn't Hoshi have heard the entire message on her comlink? Wouldn't Phlox have "understood" who and what he was?
A poster on the TrekBBS actually corrected pointed out that the Borg never called themselves the Borg when they first appeared. It was Guinan who had to tell Picard their name.
Old 05-08-03, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Possible reasons that TNG didn't recognize the borg.

1. Enterprise didn't know about Borg cubes so no records could be made of Borg specific ships.

2. Except for scans/images/maybe a nanobug Flox saved, there is no physical evidence left of the borg. There are probably other techno races so without the definate connection, they wouldn't realize the race is the same at first.

3. This entire event with the Borg will probably be classified as top secret. They don't want anyone outside the operation to know that there is a species that takes over people/ships. Everyone on Enterprise probably had to be sworn to secrecy. Records encrypted to need-to-know basis.

It is well over 200 years before Picard meets the borg. With so much time passing and the info being kept from all except very top offices, nobody on the Enterprise - D had heard about it before. It wasn't a big incident that everyone would know about.

-------------------
I wish more Enterprise episodes were like this. I liked how it ties in with the Borg attack in TNG. The message is sent now and it takes until TNG's time for cubes to get here from the Delta Quadrent.
Old 05-08-03, 12:29 PM

Questions about the borg:

The frozen borg at the beginning were from the future. Does that mean that, due to the actual technology on their bodies, these borg have the "knowledge" and "capabilities/technology" of a 24th century borg?

Or, since they're now in a different timezone, can their "hive minds" only communicate with the current 22nd century borg, who has assimilated less technology/knowledge than their 24th century counterparts?

Depending on the answers to these, i'd assume you can come up with numerous alternate explanations..
Old 05-08-03, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Darq
Or, since they're now in a different timezone, can their "hive minds" only communicate with the current 22nd century borg...
I would expect that to be correct.

Although they'll have to pay extra to get east coast stations on the west coast.
Old 05-08-03, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by resinrats

3. This entire event with the Borg will probably be classified as top secret. They don't want anyone outside the operation to know that there is a species that takes over people/ships. Everyone on Enterprise probably had to be sworn to secrecy. Records encrypted to need-to-know basis.

It is well over 200 years before Picard meets the borg. With so much time passing and the info being kept from all except very top offices, nobody on the Enterprise - D had heard about it before. It wasn't a big incident that everyone would know about.

Yeah, maybe there are people in Starfleet that know about the Borg in the 24th Century (section31 perhaps), but to let everyone know that a powerful, malevolent, almost unstoppable enemy is on it's way would cause panic and paranoia.
Old 05-08-03, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Even among top-ranking Starfleet officers?
Old 05-08-03, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought they wiped out panic and paranoia along with poverty, war and disease?
Old 05-08-03, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Wizdar
Even among top-ranking Starfleet officers?
There weren't 'top level' officers on Enterprise-D that would know the info. Even though Picard was the captain of the flagship, he wasn't Starfleet's top officer. Think high level vice admirals or admirals. None were with Enterprise D for that mission.

Nobody had seen the Borg carve out cities on planets before so they didn't know it was them during the 1st season finale.

Because of the classication it would have just been the top officer in the division that held the classified info (Section 31 - Starfleets CIA). Considering the events on Archer's Enterprise happened hundreds of years ago, it probably wasn't kept in the forground of knowlegde so even though they had access to the files, nobody there might have known it was there.
Old 05-08-03, 03:52 PM
toq

Originally posted by TK-421
Also, I believe the borg can survive without oxygen, so aren't those Tarkaelean borg still alive?
According to this page, lack of oxygen wouldn't be the only hazard they would have to face. Without knowledge of Tarkalean/Borg physiology, couldn't there be any number of possibilities that happen to them?

Alas, as with the other inconsistencies that were mentioned previously (especially the multiple phaser shots that Archer and Reed were able to get off), they'll obviously never explain it.
Old 05-08-03, 04:43 PM

Hello - Time Travel!!!

Wake up, folks. The time travel thing from First Contact flummoxed up the timeline. There was not previous contact with the Borg in the old TNG world because the Sphere hadn't crashed on Earth yet. Therefore, the happenings we see in Enterprise are after the happenings on First Contact. They were headin' back to the Delta Quadrant to meet up with their Borg ancestors. By the way, others noted this earlier in the thread.

And how do nanoprobes allow you to start generating sheilds with no mass input or metal or anything. I just can't get behind that detail. There are only so many minerals in the human body.
Old 05-08-03, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like a plot to digitally insert the Borg into the original series (w/Kirk+Spock) and repackage it as an "Enterprise Timeline Edition".

[Shutting up now before I give Paramount any ideas...]
Old 05-08-03, 04:51 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

The Tarkalean Borg floating in space are the biggest hole in this episode IMO. Unless they are for another episode where some ship picks them up and gets assimliated which would be lame.

Borg floating in space could still be resourceful and even might combine to create a distress beacon to call some ship to them.

MY THEORY ON PHLOX'S RESISTANCE:
All these borg and the borg nanoprobes came from the 2 humanoids from earth. They apparantly assimilated the entire research team. The borg probabally had to be resourceful and create new nanoprobes out of a less resiliant material than they want to use, because it just isnt available. Like a genius in the 1800's building a plane out of wood and fabric instead of aluminium because there simply isnt any.

Therefore the nanoprobes are less resiliant and are easier for Phlox to resist and destroy.
Old 05-08-03, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
just thought of something. wouldn't the Ent-E have scanned earth for borg tech before leaving in first contact?
there was a lot of wreckage, I think they would have detected it. plus from my memory the quantum torpedoes didn't leave much of the sphere when they blew it up in orbit
Old 05-08-03, 10:32 PM
Admin

Received 465 Likes on 305 Posts
Bottom line, until I get sick of watching Borg episodes, I will get sucked in every time they find a way to write them into the plot. They are an intriging enemy/species. Probably doesn't make all that much sense, but it's probably better writing than the Topal skimpiness we're in for in coming episodes.
Old 05-09-03, 10:42 PM

Originally posted by Save Ferris
They apparantly assimilated the entire research team.
Slight correction:

"They apparantly assimilated the entire heavily armed research team."
Old 05-10-03, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And, can somebody explain how a ship can increase mass while in flight?

Originally posted by MvRojo
It's pretty simply the Borg creating new hardware. We saw that one Borg use his nanoprobes on Enterprise changing the look of the computer and quickly growing new mechanical component.
Technically its possible, since as an object approaches Light speed its mass increases. But the ST universe has always ignored this rule (among others). So from the standpoint that the borg are increasing the ships mass solely by their modifications thats not possible. Unless as someone else suggested they got materials from some outside source.
Old 05-10-03, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
watching it again until SNL comes on
forgot about the Binars reference Phlox made
Old 05-11-03, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Red Dog
That actually wasn't a bad episode.

The only problem is of course, now that these events are a part of Federation history, how come they are clueless about the Borg in the future? They know they have 200 years and considering Starfleet has an uninterrupted existence during this period, you would think Picard and company would know about them and Starfleet would be preparing for an inevitable invasion.
They are too busy preparing for the invasion promised at the end of Conspiracy. You know, the one with aliens that infiltrate Starfleet and convincingly duplicate its officers...

Last edited by dave955; 05-11-03 at 01:47 AM.
Old 05-11-03, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by dave955
They are too busy preparing for the invasion promised at the end of Conspiracy. You know, the one with aliens that infiltrate Starfleet and convincingly duplicate its officers...
Actually, they just latched onto their brain stem and controlled their thoughts and actions. They weren't duplicates.
Old 05-11-03, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Maybe they're setting up Enterprise to head straight into the Mirror, Mirror universe instead of the normal timeline. Yeah, that's its. Yeah, that's it. Then, they don't have to explain away the inconsistancies.

Oh, did I mention how much I hated this episode?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.