DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Boston Public 5/5/3 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/290553-boston-public-5-5-3-a.html)

Gasspasser 05-05-03 08:52 PM

Boston Public 5/5/3

Hmmmm. Interesting. Do you think that
Spoiler:
Guber
is gone for good now? Or will they keep him for something else?

MrX 05-05-03 10:11 PM

I hope he's not gone. He's one of the few characters that I can stand.

I thought the singing was bad but I'd take a whole hour of Tamyra singing over the their version of eminem that was on their tonight anyday. That was painful.

The only storyline that is interesting right now is Claire and Danny. I hope they keep her around next year, besides the :drool: part she makes Danny less annoying.

freedexter 05-05-03 10:37 PM

It was so embarassing to see Guber try to "get down" or whatever. The rap thing is just.....eeewww. If I wanted to, I could rent "8 Mile" from Blockbuster, and probably would be much more entertained. And that creepy sweatshop girl rapping was just horrifying. Stop the pain!

I enjoy the irony that the storyline with Aisha is about a contract signing her life away, since that's basically what you do when you sign up for "American Idol".

Patman 05-06-03 07:11 AM

I thought Danny's proposal was heartfelt (though Claire really could do much better).

The Guber subplot was so unsubtle.

jpcamb 05-06-03 08:08 AM

If I never see Guber "Dance" again I'll know I'm not already in hell.

Show is heading down the toilet. Intersting that the memo basically only cited teachers names we know for possible cuts. A subtle sign that the show won't be back ;)

Oh and I'd imagine that a special ed program would get special funding and not be on a cut list. The show is out of wack. I live in MA and my wife grew up in boston only a few miles from the real Doyles. I can assure you no major artists (Save Matt Guitar Murphy of Blues Brothers fame) have ever played even near there and my wife rolls her eyes every time they show that exterior.

Red Dog 05-06-03 08:09 AM

Yeah - I thought I was watching 8 Mile. Of course, they take the cheap way out and kill the kid off.

If Guber is gone, I'm gone.

TK-421 05-06-03 08:13 AM

Does anyone know the name of the song played at the end by the group "Lifehouse"?

Jadzia 05-06-03 09:04 AM

Actually, compared to other recent Boston Public episodes, this was not a bad one. It held my interest at least.

I loved Danny's proposal: "I want you to be the mother of all my sister's children." :lol:

We were wondering if he got the jewelry store to pre-date the receipt. :)

Seeing Guber make a difference in the Dungeon by loosening up was fun. Wasn't that white rapper kid in the movie "Drumline"?

Although it was dumb that they had to kill him off. I swear Winslow High almost has a higher mortality rate than Sunnydale High.

I could have done without the record-label signing plot. Didn't they already do this last season with one of Lauren's students? It's funny that they only showed Tamyra Gray singing and she didn't do any acting scenes even though the plot involved her.

Deftones 05-06-03 09:24 AM

That white rapper crap was terrible. Guber's and Danny's subplots are good. I hope this show sticks around and both are back.

On a note about the show itself, how cool was it that they played the Johnny Cash cover of Hurt at the beginning when the mom was getting arrested. That was so cool.

retihsuhnt 05-06-03 09:25 AM

Are you ready for it... a TV season without any DEK production? After last night's charade the has been cemented in my mind that DEK has thrown the "self destruct" button on both of his "babies" this season.

I was not too enthused with the "rap off" idea, but the second half of the arch and the outcome really did prove a point.

I am sorry to see this show go, it had so much going for it in its 1st and 2nd season but right now someone needs to just take it out behind the barn and end it.

And next week we have the crackhead and an American Idol (that hasnt realized her 15 minutes expired during her stint on AI) concluding the season with a music number. Damn it, I need a Tivo or a mute button to avoid that trash.

MrX 05-06-03 09:34 AM

I'm pretty sure this show is coming back next year. In one of the papers about what would get picked up and what wouldn't it was in the not yet picked up, but looking good category.

Gizmo 05-06-03 01:25 PM

Boston Public still gets really high ratings, so its got a very good, if not certain chance of coming back.

Red Dog 05-06-03 01:36 PM

Originally posted by GizmoDVD
Boston Public still gets really high ratings, so its got a very good, if not certain chance of coming back.

I wouldn't say it gets really high ratings. It has only broken the top-40 once this season and usually finishes somewhere around #50 each week.

Red Dog 05-09-03 01:11 PM

Acc'd to an article in http://www.thefutoncritic.com - look for Boston Public to move to Fridays next fall.

retihsuhnt 05-09-03 01:39 PM

"Over at FOX, David E. Kelly's "Boston Public" may not return to Monday nights as expected with recent buzz now placing the drama on Fridays."

For whom the bell tolls, it tolls for BP. Friday nights on Fox is officially a death sentence for any show (minus X Files). No one is going to follow that program to Friday night.

Gizmo 05-09-03 02:57 PM

Fridays?!? It won't be horriable, but if ED is renewed...I don't know which to tune into.

B.A. 05-09-03 10:50 PM

Originally posted by MrX
The only storyline that is interesting right now is Claire and Danny. I hope they keep her around next year, besides the :drool: part she makes Danny less annoying.
This is the only sub-plot that I have liked recently, too. I was glad to see Danny pull his head out of his ass at the end and seriously ask her to marry him. She is definitely a good edition to the show.

Marilyn Suter (she cut her hair) looked good in the ep, imo.

Guber's sub-plot tonight had its moments, but when they were rapping just like Eminem I wanted to scream, "HELP!". Guber can get on the nerves, but he is definitely one of the better parts of the show. I will be pissed if he leaves. The turnover on this show is getting ridiculous.

Harper is getting annoying. All he can do is glare and yell in one tone. And Ronnie's character has gotten shitty all of a sudden, too. She's likes the power and as a result her character comes off poorly. And both of them have stuck it in Guber's ass, figuratively speaking.

And when are they going to get the memo w/ the official DVDTalk letterhead mentioning that the damn singing must stop? Have they noticed that the more they sing on the show, the worse it gets? Obviously not...stupid bastards.