Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

All Right, Admit It -- Star Trek TOS Sucked

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-03, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally posted by CanadianKnight
(Did you know that after Alexander Courage wrote the theme to ST, that Roddenbery created never-heard (and TERRIBLE) lyrics for the song, supposedly just so he could get a cut of the royalties from the music? Courage was reportedly FURIOUS with this!)
Tenacious D does this song live with the lyrics and everything. It is freaking hilarious.
Old 05-02-03, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
• Quoth slop101 •<HR SIZE=1>Tenacious D does this song live with the lyrics and everything. It is freaking hilarious. <HR SIZE=1>

And like the uber-dork that I am, I sang along when I heard them in concert.

Beeeeeyond ... the rim of the star light ...
Myyyyy love IIIIIIIIS wandering in star flight ...

das <---- dork
Old 05-02-03, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by das Monkey
CanadianKnight,

It's all good. I meant only light-hearted fun with my comments.
I know das... hence my rofl-ing.

In any case, Solow and Justman's Inside Star Trek (which I believe is the primary source for your criticism) is essential reading for anyone who claims to be a Trek fan and is absolutely fascinating on many levels, particularly the ins and outs of actually producing the show (set design, budget management, etc).
One source... I have others. But yah... essential reading, and a darned entertaining look at the actual production, no question.

For laughs, one should also read Ellison's entertaining perspective in his foreward to the published teleplay of The City on the Edge of Forever.
Also a great read. Very interesting how different his teleplay was to the filmed episode.

Originally posted by slop 101

Tenacious D does this song live with the lyrics and everything. It is freaking hilarious.
That is just frightening.

CK <---- Semi-uber-dork
Old 05-02-03, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I for one love the original Star Trek series. I never really dug any of the later shows, they kind of bored me, but the old cast I was always quite fond of. But seriously, was the show good? Well, some of the stories were somewhat interesting and looked at unique ideas in a science fiction setting, but nonetheless the show is very much camp. But that is the reason I enjoy it so much...it's campy fun. Hell I love the old Batman television show with Adam West for the same reason (though that show is dumber...a lot dumber). They're both really quite silly to see now, and the look is very fake and campy. But damn if it ain't entertaining. That's my opinion at least.
Old 05-03-03, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I like TOS for its earnest crappiness. The lousy acting, the cheap effects, the sledgehammer morality, campy music, etc. make this show a lot of fun. It's bad, but in a good way.
I have no comment on the other Star Trek shows because I've never seen a single episode of any of them.
Old 05-03-03, 05:31 PM

Next you guys will be saying the original Land of the Lost sucked. I'll put the LOTL Dino's against Jurasick's parks anyday. They were so realistic looking.

I will say one thing, there was no character in TOS as bad as WESLEY CRUSHER. I look at TOS as more of a comedy then sci fi.
Old 05-03-03, 06:17 PM
Banned

No, the series did not suck. Star Trek begins and ends with TOS.
Old 05-03-03, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would rather watch one of the worst of the original Star Trek episodes than one tepidly "decent" episode (if such a thing exists) of Enterprise or Voyager. At least I would be entertained and charmed by the kitsch factor.

People who don't like TOS usually refuse to see under the dated-ness of the show to the stories and characters which are miles better than anything the Berman-ites have come up with in the last 5+ years.
Old 05-04-03, 07:20 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
Admit it: Star Trek TOS sucks

Nope. No no no no no no no no no no no nope no no no no nope no way no no no no uh-uh no no no no negatory no no no no no nonono no no no no no no no no no no no.

No.

Uh-uh.

Nope.

[thinks for a minute]

No.
Old 05-05-03, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 513 Likes on 353 Posts
Negative.

TOS is dated, to be sure. That is part of its enduring charm. Do I hold all of the eps up as golden icons of the television art? Certainly not, but watching a few will teach you all you ever need to know about writing a screenplay for a hour-long TV drama.
Old 05-05-03, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you've looked at any of TNG shows lately; you'll see they aren't exactly holding up all that well either.

I'm not the biggest fan of any of these series; but it is obvious the writing was the best in the original.

Paramount needs to give the whole TREK thing a long rest.
Old 05-06-03, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
Originally posted by Steve Phillips
If you've looked at any of TNG shows lately; you'll see they aren't exactly holding up all that well either.
That is so true, especially the first season of TNG - it's just painful. There are a rare few shows that don't seem dated after a few decades. I think one of the enduring charms of Star Trek is that despite the dated aspect, some of the stories still speak to us. That's all that really matters which is why I can forgive cheesy dialogue and hammy performances (not limited to TOS).
Old 05-06-03, 12:07 PM
Cool New Member

I love TNG, I love VOY, I like DS9 and Enterprise.
I tolerate TOS Movies
I can't stand watching TOS episodes. They insult me.
Old 05-06-03, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth hokejka •<HR SIZE=1>I can't stand watching TOS episodes. They insult me. <HR SIZE=1>

If you don't like TOS, perhaps you deserve it.

das

Old 05-06-03, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Maybe it's a Canadian thing?

Aside from Shatner, I don't remember anything in TOS that was insulting to Canadians.
Old 05-06-03, 01:00 PM

Compared to some modern scifi shows, yes it sucks. Compared to other modern scifi shows, it was freakin brilliant.

Just for the record; William Shatner was an acting genius. People make fun of his dialog now, but the reality is the slower he spoke his lines the more screen time he got. On an ensemble show getting as much of your own character shown as possible is key for an actor.
Old 05-06-03, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Nope
Old 05-06-03, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by C Roberts
Just for the record; William Shatner was an acting genius. People make fun of his dialog now, but the reality is the slower he spoke his lines the more screen time he got. On an ensemble show getting as much of your own character shown as possible is key for an actor.

Really? You seriously believe this? Honestly?

No... wait... this is sarcasm, right? No, no, not sarcasm... what's that thing called where you say something absoutely riddiculous and then everybody just stares at you for a minute, and... oh, the word is right on the tip of my tongue...
Old 05-06-03, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, “just for the record,” with the exception of the genius part, I agree.

Of all the things from TOS, you have to agree that the stumbling, halting delivery Shatner had for Kirk will forever stand out in your mind, good, bad, or otherwise. Granted, it was 90% Shatner and only 10% acting, but still…

Of all the Trek captains, who would you want on your side in a time of great need? A posturing Picard, a laid back don’t bother me I’m busy Sisco, a talk to me after I’ve had my coffee Janeway, a shucks howdy wanna be friends Archer, or a kick ‘em in da nuts Kirk?

Shatner set the standard for that time. It may seem out of place and camp now, but I bet he could kick the crap outta Ben Cartwright.
Old 05-06-03, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
No doubt - Kirk. In fact, if you run down the posts, TOS is definitely the series you would mostly draft from.

First officer - Spock or Riker? Spock w/o a doubt.

Chief Engineer - Scotty or Geordi? Scotty - he is the miracle worker.

Helmsman - Data or Sulu? I guess Data wins this one since he can do pretty much anything, but Sulu still kicks ass.

Doctor - Bones or Crusher? Crusher is nice to look at but Bones has got to be your choice simply because you already have Kirk and Spock.
Old 05-06-03, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Until Data rips off his shirt and swashbuckles his way through the Enterprise, Sulu wins.

das
Old 05-06-03, 03:02 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
Originally posted by das Monkey
Until Data rips off his shirt and swashbuckles his way through the Enterprise, Sulu wins.

das
Data did have sex with Tasha. I'd pick him over Sulu, but only because he can open doors that are fused shut, calculate anything I want whenever I want, remember all my phone numbers and addresses and other sh*t like that.
Old 05-06-03, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...and Data did have sex with Tasha.
Old 05-06-03, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth Bandoman •<HR SIZE=1>Data did have sex with Tasha. I'd pick him over Sulu, but only because he can open doors that are fused shut, calculate anything I want whenever I want, remember all my phone numbers and addresses and other sh*t like that. <HR SIZE=1>

Hello ... he had a sword!!!

das

P.S. Don't call me Tiny.
Old 05-06-03, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Originally posted by Bandoman
Data did have sex with Tasha. I'd pick him over Sulu, but only because he can open doors that are fused shut, calculate anything I want whenever I want, remember all my phone numbers and addresses and other sh*t like that.

Although couldn't you just have Sulu carry around a calculator and Palm Pilot. Plus I think Sulu would be more than up to the challenge of banging Yar when she begs for it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.