DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Angel 04/30/03 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/289402-angel-04-30-03-a.html)

Wizdar 05-02-03 06:46 PM

Originally posted by Draven
It was worse. They all had the same INITIALS...
Well, that screws up my "Joss loves Superman" theory.

Draven 05-02-03 07:04 PM

Originally posted by CaptainMarvel

I don't remember that plotline. What was it about?

There was a "throwaway" shot towards the end of last season where a mail room guy calls his house or something, and the voicemail answers with something like this:

"Press 1 for Terry, Press 2 for Bill and Press 3 for Draknar the Dark Lord"

Anyway, it was something like that. The implication was that the mail room guy was up to no good. Nothing ever came of that though.

Dr. DVD 05-03-03 04:16 PM

Just got through watching the episode as I had to tape it Wednesday. I thought it was a good episode that wrapped up what is essentially a two season story arc, and from what I saw of next week, will be a three season arc with the third part being a brand apart altogether.

The way I see it, here is how Angel can be broken down:

Season 1: Introduce the series baddies, aka Wolfram & Hart

Season 2: Nurture the baddies and find out how they operate

Seasons 3 and 4: do a storyline in which they are not always involved directly, but apparently have a major stake in everything (no pun intended).

POSSIBLE SPOILER

Season 5: Angel and co. join the baddies and eventually bring about its downfall from within.

zero 05-05-03 10:57 AM

I was at the monthly comic book & sci-fi convention in Los Angeles yesterday and during the Q & A David Boreanaz had said seaon 5 is still up in the air but he is hopeful. He made it sound like the show's renewal was still in discussion. They even showed us a seven minute video that was made for the WB execs as a way to keep the show on the air. Got to meet the guy, shake his hand and got an autograph, he is a friendly guy...and as soon as I can I'll get Jack to post this damn_funny pic he took of him :lol:

CCGoldRush 05-05-03 11:29 AM

FYI, today's Variety has a huge two page ad pushing the show--so AICN probably was a little off in its report that the show was already renewed. But that ad cost a LOT of money for Fox and Mutant Enemy, so they're pushing the WB with all they got.

ChrisHicks 05-05-03 12:16 PM

I hate to say it but I just don't have alot of faith that The WB will give this show another season. I'm sure they are looking into another spin-off show for Gilmore or something.

MrN 05-05-03 01:50 PM

Is that ad specifically geared to WB renewing the show? Or a pre-emptive attempt to try to get the attention of other networks in case WB doesn't renew?

CCGoldRush 05-05-03 02:13 PM

Originally posted by MrN
Is that ad specifically geared to WB renewing the show? Or a pre-emptive attempt to try to get the attention of other networks in case WB doesn't renew?
Probably both ways--there certainly is no outright "please WB" on the ad--it has a few quotes:

"Angel deserves a fifth season" - Amy Amatangelo, Boston Herald

"Angel is sensational" - Matt Roush, TV Guide

"**** ... To say this show has come out of Buffy's shadow this year is hardly praise enough - it has come into its own as one of TV's most entertaining hours." - Robert Bianco, USA Today

It also lists some statistics, i.e. the WB's #2 rated show in men 18-49...

Dr. DVD 05-05-03 08:13 PM

Well, today's USA Today listed Angel as the #1 Save It show rated by their readers. The way I look at it, the WB will piss off more people than they think if they give it the boot and might want to think twice.

Of course since when can a band of "geeks" uniting accomplish anything in the eyes of suits?

Wizdar 05-05-03 09:56 PM

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
Of course since when can a band of "geeks" uniting accomplish anything in the eyes of suits?
Did I hear you say "Farscape"?

Chew 05-06-03 07:14 AM

We have one week to wait to hear about Angel's renewal. WBs fall schedule will be released on Tuesday May 13th.

So everybody bring a friend (or ten) to the finale on Wednesday!

Wizdar 05-06-03 10:13 AM

I wonder how much effect the end of Buffy has on their decision to renew/not renew*? Ya think the suits believe the two are Siamese twins, that Angel can’t survive without Buffy?

*Hell, now I've got a picture of Michael York stuck in my head. "There is no Santuary..."

ChrisHicks 05-06-03 12:12 PM

does anyone else think that The WB is waiting to see how tomorrows ep. does in the ratings before they make a decision, since it is being classified as a sort of pilot for the next season? I wonder if the ratings will improve?