Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Can I skip season 1 of Babylon 5 and jump right into season 2?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Can I skip season 1 of Babylon 5 and jump right into season 2?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-03, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts
Originally posted by Bandoman
Question: I don't remember all the details from each episode of season 1 (sometimes it's better to watch a shop as it is slowly doled out to you - seeing it all at once can make it harder to remember it all. It's better to digest an episode for a week before moving on.) How much infor should I have stored in my head when watching season 2? I know what generally went on, but from people's comments it seems like what appear to be off-hand comments in many episodes become very important later on.
A lot of them are just little things that you don't need to worry about. You'll probably pick them up when you run through the entire series again in a couple of years.

But there a some real doozies in there that you can't pick up on until things begin to unfold.

The really important ones are sometimes referenced in the episodes in question. Just as an example, there's something that happens in Season Three that was discretely foreshadowed in Season One. It will flashback to the scenes in Season One when necessary.

In order to prepare for season two, it would probably be a good idea to watch "Signs and Portents" and "Chrysalis" again. Much of the foundation of the second year is laid in those two episodes. But, since "Signs and Portents" is the name of the entire season and "Chrysalis" is the season closer, it's kind of obvious, so I'm not giving away much.
Old 05-01-03, 07:39 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
Holy crap! I watched the first two episodes of season 2 last night. A whole ton of info/plot development is dropped on you. If the rest of the season is like this, this will be amazing.

Spoiler:
So some Mimbari souls are being reincarnated as humans? And Sinclair was the first?

Some of you may recall that I stumbled onto a B5 website some months ago, where I saw (before I realized I was being spoilered and left) a blurb stating that Sinclair is famous for traveling 1000 years into the past to save the Mimbari in the first war against the Shadows. Now I think I understand, or can guess at some of what might have occurred. In the second episode of season 2 G'Kar mentions that it had been 1000 years since they last saw this feared enemy (the shadows). I'm guessing that Sinclair is the reincarnation of a Mimbari warrior/hero who won the war against the shadows then. I wonder if somehow Sinclair works with the Mimbari in the "present" to get information to his former self through time which allows them to win the war.

There are many levels to this show, and the plot must be complex indeed if they can give out so much info in just two episodes. I wish I didn't need any sleep - I wanted to stay up all night watching.

When does season three come out?
Old 05-01-03, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like it when people are surprised at how much this show kicks ass. What ... did you think we were lying about it all these years?

das
Old 05-01-03, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spoiler:
I'm guessing that Sinclair is the reincarnation of a Mimbari warrior/hero who won the war against the shadows then. I wonder if somehow Sinclair works with the Mimbari in the "present" to get information to his former self through time which allows them to win the war.
Heh heh heh.

HEY! MR. MAILMAN?!?
Old 05-01-03, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Wizdar
HEY! MR. MAILMAN?!?
Ditto here too. Mines coming from Amazon.ca, which I recently found out ships near Toronto.

Ummmm, should I wear gloves and a mask when I open everything?
Old 05-01-03, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Chew
Ummmm, should I wear gloves and a mask when I open everything?

Thanks for a wonderful line. I work with a couple of imports (Canadians), one of whom is a Trek geek and is aware of my B5 fetish. IF I ever get the set (I'll get it at work, and they're coming from Canada), I think I'll ask him to open it for me.
Old 05-01-03, 11:35 AM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think scifi just started showing season 2 and I think they're showing the Babylon 5 movies this weekend. I caught some episodes from season 1 when scifi started airing them a month ago, but I missed too many episodes. I guess I'll wait for them to cycle back to the beginning since I'm too cheap to buy the dvds. I haven't seen any of the movies and I've only seen some of season 1, so should I watch the Gathering this weekend and that's it?
Old 05-01-03, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yep. That sounds like a good plan.

But do try to save up some $$ and buy the set. If you're at all interested in SF, it'll be the best investment you can make.
Old 05-01-03, 01:11 PM

Holy crap! I watched the first two episodes of season 2 last night. A whole ton of info/plot development is dropped on you. If the rest of the season is like this, this will be amazing.
Right there with you. I sort of drug my toes through season 1, and was left with mixed feelings. Watched the first two episodes of season two last night, and had an: "Oh. This is what everyone's talking about!" moment.

I'm really glad that they
Spoiler:
replaced Sinclair with Sheridan. Sinclair just seemed the obvious, stern, perfect captain, yanked straight from a Star Trek series that never was. I was having a hard time taking him seriously.

Very peeved at the opening credits, though. Kind of took all of the surprise out of Delenn's transformation.

Michaeldvd.com.au has a rumored season 3 date of October 1st. Since Australia usually gets their Babylon 5 after the US, I'm guessing some time in September (Which would also keep things with roughly 5 months between volumes.)

JMS also said in a recent interview that the season 3 DVDs were almost ready, so a September date would fit there, as well.
Old 05-01-03, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They're heeeeeere.

Unfortunately, I've taken a few sick days in the last coupla weeks, so I'm gonna have to wait it out.

Also, there's a curious rattle in the box that sounds like a loose disc or two (just like the last set).

But w00t!
Old 05-01-03, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts
I just want to say if you were impressed with the first two episodes of season two, you ain't seen nothing yet.
Old 05-01-03, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Spoiler:
So some Mimbari souls are being reincarnated as humans? And Sinclair was the first?

Some of you may recall that I stumbled onto a B5 website some months ago, where I saw (before I realized I was being spoilered and left) a blurb stating that Sinclair is famous for traveling 1000 years into the past to save the Mimbari in the first war against the Shadows. Now I think I understand, or can guess at some of what might have occurred. In the second episode of season 2 G'Kar mentions that it had been 1000 years since they last saw this feared enemy (the shadows). I'm guessing that Sinclair is the reincarnation of a Mimbari warrior/hero who won the war against the shadows then. I wonder if somehow Sinclair works with the Mimbari in the "present" to get information to his former self through time which allows them to win the war.

There are many levels to this show, and the plot must be complex indeed if they can give out so much info in just two episodes. I wish I didn't need any sleep - I wanted to stay up all night watching.

And yes, Bando, as you saw in my previous message (bottom of page 1) season 2 is boring compared to season 3.

And season 4 is when it really kicks in....

(I have the tapes on vhs if you really can't wait... call me). Maybe I'll even fly to PA to watch it with you again.
Old 05-05-03, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Big-time spoiler warning!: DO NOT watch the Season 2 introduction featurette on DVD Disc 1! It ruins plenty of Season 2 storylines! Wait until you finish the entire season.
Old 05-05-03, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
I wouldn't watch the honors of babylon featurette either, it spoils a lot of stuff for later seasons.
Old 05-05-03, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And while we’re at it, the commentary with Bruce, Claudia and Jerry is a lot of fun and fairly pointless, but has spoilers as well. I don’t know but suspect that the JMS commentaries will need to be avoided too.

Hell, even the menu animation has a certain spoiler in it, along with, as someone has already found out, the Season 2 opening credits.

I kinda wonder if my life was somewhat simpler before being introduced to the concept of spoilers. Now that I understand the value of not being “spoiled,” things are a lot more complicated. Is it all worth it?
Old 05-05-03, 09:51 AM
Enormous Genitals

Thanks, I kinda figured that I should avoid the special features for now.

I've seen the first four episodes. It seems to me that
Spoiler:
this whole season is going to be a a chicken little-like "the Shadows are coming! The Shadows are coming!" But that's okay - they're doing it really, really well.

Is it me, or did Captain Maynard seem a little wimpy? I dunno, I just got that vibe from him.
Old 05-05-03, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Since Captain Maynard commanded an explorer ship, rather than a heavy-cruiser, I don't think he was expected to be a Kirk-like cowboy. He likely got his post through years of loyal service.

As to your spoiler: the favorite answer seems to be "heh-heh-heh"
Old 05-05-03, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Y,WCS

Old 05-05-03, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 233 Likes on 137 Posts
Originally posted by Josh-da-man
I just want to say if you were impressed with the first two episodes of season two, you ain't seen nothing yet.
Oh, hell yeah.

"The Coming of Shadows" comes up about halfway through season two, and that's when the show moves from really good into the best damned TV show *ever* for about two full seasons.

I so envy those of you discovering this show for the first time...man, to see "Coming of Shadows," or "In the Shadow of Z'ha'dum", or "The Fall of Night" again for the first time...wow....

And, oh boy, just think, fellow B5 vets, in a few months, when season 3 comes out, the newbies will experience "Severed Dreams" and then "Z'ha'dum" -- and that's when they'll need cardiac resussitation like we all did.

I luvs this show.
Old 05-06-03, 08:06 AM
Enormous Genitals

Is there anywhere I can go to get summaries of each episode which do not contain spoilers for future episodes or events? The reason I ask is that there is so much information to keep straight, it would be helpful if I could quickly go back and refamiliarize myself with events from past episodes. I guess I should have started taking notes long ago.
Old 05-06-03, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Bandowonder,

http://www.midwinter.com/lurk/lurker.html

There are some spoilers in some areas, but overall they make a pretty good effort to approach each episode as it was perceived when it originally aired.

das
Old 05-06-03, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess I should have started taking notes long ago.
I'd hate to see how big that notebook would get
Old 05-06-03, 08:54 AM
Enormous Genitals

Thanks das!

Chew - I think I would have filled a spiral notebook already.
Old 05-06-03, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Bando, baby, do you take notes whilst having sex?

One of the things I enjoy about this series is the OMG value of subsequent viewings, where those little pieces you didn’t notice before fall into place. It’s amazing how many events in 2nd, 3rd, even 4th seasons are linked to something in the first…
Old 05-06-03, 10:23 AM
Enormous Genitals

Originally posted by Wizdar
Bando, baby, do you take notes whilst having sex?

Do videotapes count as "notes"?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.