DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Alias 4/27 "Countdown" finally a new episode (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/288830-alias-4-27-countdown-finally-new-episode.html)

Rypro 525 04-27-03 04:31 PM

Alias 4/27 "Countdown" finally a new episode

tvguide.com
Spoiler:

The countdown to doomsday is on, after the CIA links a ghastly murder to Rambaldi's prophecy of an apocalypse.
With just 48 hours to prevent the catastrophe, Sydney and Dixon (Carl Lumbly) mount a frenzied search for Sloane, who holds the key. But with revenge-crazed Dixon blinded by his wife's murder, Vaughn is pressed into a betrayal to keep the hunt on target. Later, an enigmatic monk (David Carradine) horrifies Sloane with the news that Emily's death---and the impending end of the world---may have been triggered by a sin he committed 30 years ago. On a much lighter note, a new Special Ops agent (Amanda Foreman) sets her sights on Marshall.

Ranger 04-27-03 08:57 PM

Great episode! :up:

B.A. 04-27-03 09:05 PM

Dixon brought out the ultra-violence tonight! He must have gone to a milk bar or something. Great ep tonight. I am hoping that they take down Robo-Francie soon, possibly in next week's two-hour finale - which looks excellent, too.

Nice little cameo by Danny Trejo.

kantonburg 04-27-03 09:22 PM

I caught bits and pieces of this episode and just what little I caught it was awsome. Wished I had seen more. I'm waiting on you guys to fill me in :)

Tscott 04-27-03 10:20 PM

Good episode. It took me a while to recognize Amanda Foreman, she's very different here than her Felicity character was (she actually smiles and acts like she cares). I wonder what'll happen when her and Sean... whoops, I mean Agt. Weiss... meet face to face? :)

movieking 04-27-03 10:31 PM

Not a great episode, IMO, but pretty good. Can't wait for the two hour season finale next week!

MrX 04-27-03 10:51 PM

Was anyone else praying that Sydney and Vaughn were going to split at the end? I'm glad they put Syd and Dixon back together for this ep and left Vaughn out of it for the most part. This show is so much better the less Syd and Vaughn are on screen together.

I liked how they gave Dixon a little more edge this ep.

And the best part of all was no evil Francie.

Static Cling 04-27-03 10:57 PM

I was waiting for Carradine to call Sloane "grasshopper." Man, I was really hoping he wouldn't play a role resembling his "Kung Fu" days. Should've known. I wish we had SOME inkling as to what ol' Kwai Chang had let Sloane in on. He had a crapload of Rambaldi pages, it looked like... very surprised that Sloane didn't just off him and take the pages. Unfortunately, since he didn't, that means that Carradine may guest star again. Ugh.

And Danny Freakin' Trejo! Yeah! I thought I recognized him when he killed the guy in the opening, and I about flipped out. The only reason I would've liked to see Carradine play a Kwai Chang role again is for Danny Trejo to kick his butt in a fight.

Looks like the new Alias gimmick to replace the cliffhanger is the "misleading tease and rewind"... they show us a little bit of what happens near the end of the show, make us think one thing is going to happen, go back to the chronological start, play 'til the end, and twist the tease a little. They did it for the episode in which Emily dies, too. Not a big fan of the gimmick, but it's better than cliffhangers.

The TV Guide spoiler is kinda off in some places.

Kal-El 04-27-03 11:05 PM

It's Meghan!!!!!!!!
Man, she looks great.
Will edit post later to add more thoughts.

Rogue588 04-27-03 11:16 PM

good ep..

then again, any ep with extra Dixon & Marshall plot is good..

i agree with Static about that whole "MTAR" thing..annoying.

danny trejo :up:

Marshall's gonna get some! ;)

huzefa 04-27-03 11:18 PM

WTF happened to the apocalyptic event? I mean if every single one of this Rambaldi guy's prophecies has come true, why was there no apocalyptic event right now? It stands to reason that no matter with the CIA does, it would still have happened.

RolloTomasi 04-27-03 11:42 PM

The apocalyptic event was Sloane receiving the magic scroll from Kwai Chang Caine... I would think the thunder right after would be a clue :)

huzefa 04-27-03 11:48 PM

Originally posted by RolloTomasi
The apocalyptic event was Sloane receiving the magic scroll from Kwai Chang Caine... I would think the thunder right after would be a clue :)
In what world does that qualify as an apocalyptic event? That's just a guy reading a scroll. And it certainly doesn't live up to the other apocalytpic events mentioned (Napoleon's fall in Russia, atomic bomb in 1945, etc.).

Ranger 04-28-03 12:15 AM

Originally posted by huzefa
In what world does that qualify as an apocalyptic event? That's just a guy reading a scroll. And it certainly doesn't live up to the other apocalytpic events mentioned (Napoleon's fall in Russia, atomic bomb in 1945, etc.).
Yeah, I agree with you. I guess we only can speculate... maybe Sloane play a major part in some apocalyptic event like he tries to nuke South America or something... Guess we will have to keep watching to find out.

RolloTomasi 04-28-03 12:15 AM

I think it's more like the assassination of Archduke Ferdinand; it starts small, but it will soon grow to encompass the whole world. This is the very beginning of what could turn out to be a great cataclysm.

If I remember, way way back, there was another prophecy that Syd's mom would be responsible for the fall of America, or something like that. I wonder when they're going to tie that back in... probably soon.

Ranger 04-28-03 12:21 AM

Excellent point!

nny 04-28-03 12:34 AM

Pretty good episode, but that beginning was so horrible. There's no reason Dixon would blow everybody up. Even if he is suicidal, he wouldn't take Sydney's life, plus he could never get Sloane. It added absolutely no tension and actually took away from any question of what would happen to Dixon up to that point. So much of the episode dealt with whether Dixon would be able to go on the mission and that beginning made it all pointless.

Another thing they've been doing this season is ending with mediocre music that doesn't go with the mood at all. I'm surprised I liked this episode as much as I did. TV can be so frustrating.

MrX 04-28-03 12:38 AM

Originally posted by RolloTomasi
If I remember, way way back, there was another prophecy that Syd's mom would be responsible for the fall of America, or something like that. I wonder when they're going to tie that back in... probably soon.
I believe this is it

This woman here depicted will possess unseen marks, signs that she will be the one to bring forth my works. Bind them with fury, a burning anger, unless prevented at vulgar cost. This woman will render the greatest power unto utter desolation.

Thrush 04-28-03 12:52 AM

Originally posted by MrX
Was anyone else praying that Sydney and Vaughn were going to split at the end? I'm glad they put Syd and Dixon back together for this ep and left Vaughn out of it for the most part. This show is so much better the less Syd and Vaughn are on screen together.

I liked how they gave Dixon a little more edge this ep.

And the best part of all was no evil Francie.

:thumbsup:

tasha99 04-28-03 01:12 AM

I'm a big fan of Marshall, so I loved it that it looks like he's getting more plot and maybe a girlfriend. :D

tasha

das Monkey 04-28-03 02:00 AM

You mean his watch beeping precisely at midnight <I>and</I> the gratuitous thunder weren't enough to indicate what the apocalyptic catalyst was? Maybe we should have had a little flashing "Apocalyptic Event" indicator on the screen and an arrow pointing at the scroll?

Btw, loved the episode. Misdirection with Dixon was cheesy and not particularly believeable, but everything else was top notch.

das

Patman 04-28-03 05:28 AM

The reason Dixon's bomb stunt was believable was because of what transprired in the days before, and the main team leaders on the CIA team were pretty much on edge, which sold the whole "Damn, this guy is psycho!" dog and pony show that Dixon needed to get the guy to give up the information in very little time at all.

Glad to see Marshall might be getting his groove on (albeit to Joni Mitchell).

The only thing missing after Sloane accepted the scrolls and the lightning and thunder permeating the Nepal air was the maniacal laughter by Sloane. That would have been cool, though over the top. :D

das Monkey 04-28-03 06:15 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE> • Quoth Patman •<HR SIZE=1>The only thing missing after Sloane accepted the scrolls and the lightning and thunder permeating the Nepal air was the maniacal laughter by Sloane. That would have been cool, though over the top. :D <HR SIZE=1></BLOCKQUOTE>

He steps outside of the temple, laughs maniacally, and the camera zooms out in a sweeping helicopter shot as we hear his laughter echo to the heavens. If only DVD Talkers were writing the scripts (apologies to <B>BoatDrinks</B>).

das

lisadoris 04-28-03 07:07 AM

Loved the episode though I can't believe next week is the season finale... :(

No Will in this episode so I was kinda bumbed. I don't think the Dixon thing was chessy. When they showed it at the beginning you have no idea what the hell is going on in his mind. I just figured his wife's death just pushed him over the edge and he's taking everybody with him. Wonder what the CIA will do to Dixon - I'm sure he'll be on desk duty for awhile.

Marshall's got a date - how cool is that!

Patman 04-28-03 07:34 AM

I thought Carrie was very cute as well. I need to check out those Felicity season sets because it's got a good looking cast.