DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   What Seinfeld Curse? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/287823-what-seinfeld-curse.html)

Venusian 04-22-03 05:07 PM

What Seinfeld Curse?

with the return of Watching Ellie, alot of articles have been talking about the seinfeld curse. they mention Michael Richards' show and Jason Alexander and some even mention the live version of the tick. but they all ignore Curb your enthusiasm which is the closest of all of those shows to actual seinfeld type humor. its doing fine. whats the deal with that?

das Monkey 04-22-03 05:15 PM

It's something Michael Richards and Jason Alexander created one night after a few too many drinks to justify why their shows sucked.

das

RichC2 04-22-03 05:32 PM

with the return of Watching Ellie, alot of articles have been talking about the seinfeld curse. they mention Michael Richards' show and Jason Alexander and some even mention the live version of the tick. but they all ignore Curb your enthusiasm which is the closest of all of those shows to actual seinfeld type humor. its doing fine. whats the deal with that?
I think they're talking about the actors. Because they have had pretty bad luck with 'em. Curb Your Enthusiasm is different, and the reason why it succeeds is obvious - it's done by the co-creator of Seinfeld (as you know, Larry David) instead of starring the cast members. That and it's different (not many fully improved Sitcoms on TV that blur the line between real life and tv.)

Gizmo 04-22-03 05:42 PM

The Tick? The character of Putty wasn't really major, so I find it hard to beleive to include him. However, out of the 3 main actors that have had shows after, 2 were canceled, and the other revamped...

Creek Rat 04-22-03 06:10 PM

Duckman!

Although it ran concurrently with Seinfeld it's still must-see-TV!

the aftermath 04-23-03 01:03 AM

What curse? Jason Alexander has been extremely successful with his Popcorn chicken ads for KFC ;)

outcastja 04-23-03 01:08 AM

Both Jason and Julia were pretty funny on Curb your Enthusiasm, I hope Jerry and Michael can make a cameo in the future episodes.

Red Dog 04-23-03 08:19 AM

Originally posted by the aftermath
What curse? Jason Alexander has been extremely successful with his Popcorn chicken ads for KFC ;)

Yeah - he has come a long way. He now has the priviledge of acting with Joe Millionaire. :lol:

nightwing82 04-23-03 09:21 AM

Seems just like something the media cooked up. Michael and Jason's shows were so horrible that they would have tanked without a Seinfeld curse. Watching Ellie is the only good one.

I wouldn't count Curb Your Enthusiasm as Larry wasn't an actor/regular on the show.

hgar78 04-23-03 10:08 AM

kinda off topic but we saw jerry's act when he came to DC last year. he took questions at the end and someone, of course, asked if there would be a reunion show. jerry said that they would do one once everyone else had a series that bombed. this was just before watching ellie started and right after jason's series got canceled and he said "2 down 2 to go" or something like that! :D

tha_dvd_man 04-23-03 10:18 AM

Originally posted by the aftermath
Hey! :mad: Who else is going to save the world from the evils of mystery meat?

CM04 06-29-05 11:41 PM

Whatever they all did after Seinfeld was bound to be compared and come up short. Is it a curse? Maybe not, but an inevitability at least. Maybe they'll find comfort in being part of history? Probably not.

sdcrym 06-30-05 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by outcastja
Both Jason and Julia were pretty funny on Curb your Enthusiasm, I hope Jerry and Michael can make a cameo in the future episodes.

Jerry did make a brief cameo in last season's finale.
Spoiler:
He was in the audience at the Producers premier grimacing when Larry forgot his lines

Morf 06-30-05 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by CM04
Whatever they all did after Seinfeld was bound to be compared and come up short. Is it a curse? Maybe not, but an inevitability at least. Maybe they'll find comfort in being part of history? Probably not.

:lol:

Way to bring up the 2-year old thread. Since that time, Jason Alexander has had another sitcom death: Listen Up.

Achtung 06-30-05 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Morf

Way to bring up the 2-year old thread. Since that time, Jason Alexander has had another sitcom death: Listen Up.

Although I think that show lasted longer than their other shows combined...

rfduncan 06-30-05 11:39 AM

Well and Julia Louis-Dreyfus had a two season run with Watching Ellie (canned IMO because they dropped the real-time clock from the concept after season 1) and a successful stint on Arrested Development. Also I think she has a show in production for next season called Old Christine.

j123vt_99 06-30-05 12:58 PM

Not sure it is really a death though... Didn't it get picked up for a second season?

majorjoe23 06-30-05 01:06 PM

The J. Pederman guy has the #1 show in the country right now!

rfduncan 06-30-05 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
The J. Pederman guy has the #1 show in the country right now!

Well if you're going to go THERE, Jerry Stiller (Frank Costanza) has been on King of Queens for SEVEN years now.

j123vt_99 06-30-05 01:47 PM

Terri Hatcher was on Seinfeld and now is the on the #1 rated Desperate Housewives... the curse has ended!!!!

Morf 06-30-05 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by j123vt_99
Not sure it is really a death though... Didn't it get picked up for a second season?

Nope, it was axed back in May. http://www.tv.com/tracking/viewer.ht...2&ref_type=101

RocShemp 06-30-05 10:21 PM

Really? That sucks. After a rocky start, Listen Up really grew on me. :(

REL77 07-01-05 07:59 AM

Listen Up wasnt that bad, i actually liked it and always tivo'd it

Morf 07-01-05 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by RocShemp
After a rocky start, Listen Up really grew on me. :(

Same here. Actually, I've enjoyed just about all of the "cursed" shows: Watching Ellie, Michael Richards Show, Listen Up ...

Charlie Goose 07-01-05 03:39 PM

I watched Listen Up a couple of times, it wasn't too bad.

I think The Seinfeld Curse is getting carpal tunnel from counting all of their money. Someone should curse my ass like that.