Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Die FOX die!! Spoiler demons back to hell!

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-03, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, most of us are acquainted with FOXs policy of ruining episodes of 24 by showing spoiler details for episodes a week in advance, but it must be a company-wide policy.

Last night I was watching the X2 special and about 10 minutes in they showed how Magneto escaped from his plastic cell!!

WTF?!?

I don't know what else they ruined, as I changed channels in disgust afterwards.

What is going on in their collective minds over there?

And yes, to answer those that will speak up and defend the practice, I did know that Magento escapes (he is shown in the trailer talking with/about Pyro). But I think the escape - since they had built up this elaborate cage to hold him - would have been kind of a money shot. I don't understand giving it away for free.
Old 04-21-03, 09:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Die FOX die!! Spoiler demons back to hell!

Originally posted by Fanboy

Last night I was watching the X2 special and about 10 minutes in they showed how Magneto escaped from his plastic cell!!

And yes, to answer those that will speak up and defend the practice, I did know that Magento escapes (
so why are u being angry if you already know that Magneto will escape?? everybody who watched the trailer knows this.
Old 04-21-03, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Why would you watch a X2 special if you were afraid of seeing sneak peeks of the movie?
Old 04-21-03, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

How do they spoil 24 every week?
Old 04-21-03, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Also the bastards at fox also showed in the prievew a big key spoiler for 24!
Spoiler:
that Lynne the presidential advisor with the big mole on her lip, gets accidently pushed off the balcony durring a fight, and falls 3 storys and dies instantly
Old 04-21-03, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Red Dog
Why would you watch a X2 special if you were afraid of seeing sneak peeks of the movie?
This would be my question as well.
Old 04-21-03, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Rypro 525
Spoiler:
that Lynne the presidential advisor with the big mole on her lip, gets accidently pushed off the balcony durring a fight, and falls 3 storys and dies instantly
We don't necessarily know that for sure.
Old 04-21-03, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally posted by Rypro 525
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
You have absolutely no idea if she dies or not. That's just your guess. Logic would dictate that at a fall that height, you'd probably die. This is TV, though; not real life.
Old 04-21-03, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

In German, "Die FOX die!!" translates to "The FOX the!!" in English.

Besides, I'm with Red Dog on this one.
Old 04-21-03, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Iron Chef
Old 04-21-03, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Originally posted by Iron Chef

Nobody who speaks German can be bad.
Old 04-22-03, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, you guys are right. Obviously the problem rests with me.

I'll just never watch TV again. Or trailers in the theatre. Or listen to the radio. Or read the blurbs on books. Or ads on busses. Or movie-themed T-shirts. Or those little flappy things they trail behind airplanes at the baseball game.

Perhaps then I will remain spoiler-free.

The thrust of my argument, since it seemed to escape so many, was that by giving away salient plot points, FOX (and this does seem to be a FOX-only affliction) does it's products a disservice.

At what point does it become unneccessary to watch a FOX production because they have already told you everything that was going to happen? I guess some people will pay just to watch pieces fall into place.

And more specifically:

Red dog - Can you not think of a way to promote your new movie without showing spoiler info? Hmmm, how about: cast interviews, director interviews, special effects "how-we-did-it"s. That is after about 5 seconds of thinking. Surely if this was my job I could crank out a couple of more to flush out a half-hour show.
Old 04-22-03, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A pretty dramatic change has occured at the boxoffice in the last few years: in order to distinguish yourself from the competition, you need to show "the good stuff".

Would Deep Impact have made any money if they hadn't shown the huge tidal wave shot?

How about ID4 and the White House explosion?

I think there's countless comedies that bring all the best jokes out in the trailers.

The list goes on. You need to ruin stuff in order to bring in the audience. IMO: Interviews and FX 'How-to's' only appeal to the audience that intends to go no matter what.

Or you can just do what I do now: as soon as anything related to a movie I really want to see comes up, change the channel.

Or get a TiVo and record the special to be watched after you see the movie. That way, you can skip all those nasty spoiler commercials all together.
Old 04-22-03, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Dude thanks for ruining the movie for me! I came into this thread innocently and got spoiled by XMEn. You even put it in Bold. I want my money back, and I wll never visit this forum again.
Old 04-22-03, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yeah, you guys are right. Obviously the problem rests with me.
I'm glad you finally realize that.

Can you not think of a way to promote your new movie without showing spoiler info? Hmmm, how about: cast interviews, director interviews, special effects "how-we-did-it"s.
Cast interviews about what? Hugh Jackman saying "Yeah, I thought I'd do another X-Men movie. But that's all I can say so I don't spoil the movie. I might play Wolverine in this movie too, but maybe not." Special effect "how-we-did-it"s of what? How they made the new X-Men logo? Obviously you don't want to see anything to do with the plot or the storyline of the movie.

You either need to lighten up and live with it, or go live under a rock so you can avoid all advertising/television/human contact and see a movie truly unspoiled.
Old 04-22-03, 01:57 PM

Here's a thought: Would a better solution be to show a scene in a trailer or commercial that isn't even in the final cut of the film?

The one that I can think of off the top of my head is The Transporter. I remember seeing the commercial where he deflected a grenade/missile with a serving tray, but in the movie (unless I missed it when I blinked or something), I don't remember seeing that scene at all. I figured it must have been included in with the deleted scenes, but it wasn't there either.

I'm interested in hearing people's thoughts on the matter: Would such a practice be a better solution to this problem? I'm guessing probably not.

Also, if anyone can shed some light on my Transporter dilemma let me know - I'm still scratching my head over that one. I could have sworn I saw that scene in the clip.
Old 04-22-03, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
You should realize if you watch an X2 special. spoilers will be all over it. deal with it.
Old 04-22-03, 03:21 PM
Suspended

Due to 911, MPAA is demanding movie studios cut out all scenes w/ missiles, guns, and men of arabic origin on american airlines, and replace them w/ easter eggs and the easter bunny.