Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Six Feet Under - 4/20

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-03, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Six Feet Under - 4/20

Second best episode this season. Maybe the best. The writing was excellent. So was the acting. It went from moving (Vanessa AND Lisa) to typical "SFU" bizarre (Ruth kissing Arthur not once, but twice). I expected more on the Lisa "going after" Brenda storyline. At least that's the way the preview last week made it seem to me (they're good at baiting you, aren't they? ) The paintball game was funny. Keith and David's threeway was a little disturbing. And so is Claire's art teacher. Getting creepier each week that is. I can only imagine where THAT storyline is going. Brenda's part this season is like the shrink on "The Soprano's" last year. Very very small. Let's hope it heats up. Next week looks good!
Old 04-20-03, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Oh damn, seeing Ruth put the moves on Arthur was just hilarious.

The dialog from the paintball sequence was also funny as hell.

I had thought Brenda knew what Lisa looked like.
Old 04-20-03, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the funniest thing was when Arthur was downstairs moping and Ruth came in to talk to him...the look on his face while she was talking was f'ing hilarious!

Spoiler:
What was up with the end though? Why were they nosing each other? She just going to be a mother figure to him? That's dumb, I wanted freaky widow-on-intern action!
Old 04-21-03, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Decent episode. The Brenda/Lisa exchange was pretty interesting, and the paintball war was hilarious. Next week looks excellent.

Kinda weird question but...

Toward the end, what did Ruth say about head lice?
Old 04-21-03, 02:22 AM

She was saying that Daddy's "Family" lived by what they preached. They wouldn't kill any living creature, so they've been living with lice for years. She said they (the Fishers) will have to boil everything in the house to get rid of it. That's why they focused on Frederico when she said that, because he had been blaming his wife for his son getting the lice.
Old 04-21-03, 02:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Keith: "Jeanne... (*thunk*) Tripplehorn. (*thunk*)"

Federico: "I'm not staying down there alone in a room full of sharp things with a Manson chick."

Both
Old 04-21-03, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
My quote of the night has to go to Ruth after kissing Arthur the second time.

"Help yourself, I'm out of control."
Old 04-21-03, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally posted by outcastja
My quote of the night has to go to Ruth after kissing Arthur the second time.

"Help yourself, I'm out of control."
Agree! That was a classic.
Old 04-21-03, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,077 Likes on 652 Posts
A+ episode. My wife and i laughed all the way thru it.

The bad B-movie adventure music during the paintball scene was killing me. Slow-mo and the dialog just added to it.

This is the only show that I look forward to every week.
Old 04-21-03, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My GOD will something HAPPEN?!?! I enjoyed the episode, but this is just like season 4 of The Sopranos. None of the storylines are moving at more than a snail's pace!

Again, most of the tenser scenarios were achingly uncomfortable to sit through -- the end of the "breakfast nook" scene with Keith, David and "Sarge" was HILARIOUS!

Something MUST happen SOON!
Old 04-21-03, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought the episode was good. I did miss the lice correlation, although it did help get Vanessa realize things. Sarge was funny. I wonder whats going to happen with him? And then the whole art teacher/boyfriend thing. When are we going to find out what really happened?
Old 04-21-03, 09:08 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Great episode - the funniest one of the season, IMO.

Plenty of great scenes:

Ruth and Arthur's scenes
Paintball
The morning breakfast after the threesome
Old 04-21-03, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

OMG! What a great episode!

I loved everything in this one.

Ruth and Arthur
The Paintball then threeway
Claire, Oliver, and her boyfriend
Lisa and Brenda (I thought that scene was great)
Frederico was great this episode
and the Daddy death ( )

I also liked when Claire came back from Azusa and yelled at Oliver.

But what did Oliver say to her before she said: (i know he was dining somewhere but what was the actual line? and her actual line? Anybody?)

Well me and my boyfriend are dining at Taco Bell.

Ruth is going crazy. She is obsessed with not being lonely.
Old 04-21-03, 11:07 AM
Banned

Great episode. Can I have some cheese?
Old 04-21-03, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts
OK beating a dead horse time:
[dead horse]
Did anyone else make something of the Daddys only gone here, not over here line from the little girl? It really makes me wonder if they are not still working the Nate's dead angle. At this point I won't be too shocked if the last episode of the season is Nate Fisher 1957-2003 and he becomes a ghost like his dad.

I realize the writers for the show are toying with us by adding little bits here and there to keep this kind of theory alive, but they have me wondering again with all these subtle hints. Anyone else notice that line?

[/dead horse]
Old 04-21-03, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by conscience

But what did Oliver say to her before she said: (i know he was dining somewhere but what was the actual line? and her actual line? Anybody?)

Well me and my boyfriend are dining at Taco Bell.

Ruth is going crazy. She is obsessed with not being lonely.
I believe it was:

"I can't, because I am having dinner with the Provost"

"Well I can't becasue my boyfriend and I are having dinner at Taco Bell"

This may not be the exact quote, I am repeating it from memory.
Old 04-21-03, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally posted by jpcamb
OK beating a dead horse time:
[dead horse]
Did anyone else make something of the Daddys only gone here, not over here line from the little girl? It really makes me wonder if they are not still working the Nate's dead angle. At this point I won't be too shocked if the last episode of the season is Nate Fisher 1957-2003 and he becomes a ghost like his dad.

I realize the writers for the show are toying with us by adding little bits here and there to keep this kind of theory alive, but they have me wondering again with all these subtle hints. Anyone else notice that line?

[/dead horse]
I just think anyone still holding to that theory is reeeeeeaching at straws here. In my mind, they were obviously referring to Daddy's family's religious beliefs about reincarnation, they'd already had one mention earlier that this was "her first life on Earth.," and that's why Daddy's just gone here, he's moved on to the "next life." I just don't see the "Nate's dead" angle at all, I don't even see the writers toying with us as you put it -- I think it's more a case of people trying to interpret something that isn't there. IMHO, anyway....
Old 04-21-03, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hands down, the best episode of the season. I loved everything about it. Can't wait to see what happens with Keith being a pot head now and the Sarge 3-way fallout.
Old 04-21-03, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
How about that little girl hitting on Nate? Only on Six Feet Under...
Old 04-21-03, 07:13 PM

Am I the only one that thinks that 1) Russell is gay (poor Claire) and 2) Oliver and Russell did the do while Claire was gone in Azuma or wherever?

I only had a couple drinks during the show so didn't think it was entirely my imagination

And the little girl hitting on Nate that Patman mentioned was icky to say the least...I hope that mop thing she gave him doesn't mean they're engaged or something lol.
Old 04-21-03, 10:22 PM

Originally posted by kaisha no saru
Am I the only one that thinks that 1) Russell is gay (poor Claire) and 2) Oliver and Russell did the do while Claire was gone in Azuma or wherever?
I think something definitely happened with Russell and Olivier. I think it's been pretty obvious that something like this was going to happen, when all season hints are being dropped (like David thinking Russell's gay.....and what kind of boyfriend helps his girlfriend color her hair?.....and he's 18 and hadn't had sex before Claire). Olivier was putting on his watch when Claire walked in and he had also changed for his dinner with the provost. It seemed awfully fishy to me. Did you notice how Russell couldn't wait to get out of there (and barely looked at Olivier on his way out)? And then he got all nervous when Claire confronted him at the end. His denial wasn't all that convincing to me.

It'll really be too bad if Russell really turns out to be gay and he's using Claire to figure himself out. I really like this character, and he's the best boyfriend Claire has had so far (the paint thing last week was so sweet!). I hope that we can get a little more insight into this Russell character before the story goes where it's inevitably gonna go.

By the way, did anybody else notice that Russell and Claire have been matching their shirts (first they both wore khaki shirts, then maroon)?
Old 04-21-03, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by chandler_smythe
I think something definitely happened with Russell and Olivier. I think it's been pretty obvious that something like this was going to happen, when all season hints are being dropped (like David thinking Russell's gay.....

David never exactly said Russell was gay.

In the earlier episode:

He ask Claire if Russell was the "gay one". And she says heatedly he not gay, but asks why he thinks he would be.

David says something to the like of "Oh I can tell" but he says something sardonic and clever.

And he tells her that she (claire) told him (david) that Russell was gay before the whole conversation started.

SO he didn't exactly call Russell gay.

-----

But I do smell fish. The way Russell kept himself through the two scenes was just....weird.
Old 04-22-03, 07:46 AM

I never caught the actual title of this episode, but it should have been, "What lies between the lines". I am simply in awe of this shows ability to raise the bar each week the way it does. I just caught this on replay last night and it simply took my breath away, in it's beauty and laughter and it's ugliness and sensitivity. There was more said off script in this episode than all the dialogue put together. I think one thing this show does extremely well is meet you where you are in your life and give you something from that perspective, because in talking with different people of different ages in different experiences who watch, each one takes from it a completely seperate idea and lesson. The way my wife and I empathize with the different characters and relationships and inuendo and subtle glance is probably lost on many, while there are issues touched on that I am sure we see as pure comedy when it is straight out of the book of someone elses life.

To the person above who wished something would happen already, I sit in the opposite seat. I am glad I am at the place I am for this show. Timing can be everything.
Old 04-22-03, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
Originally posted by Patman
How about that little girl hitting on Nate? Only on Six Feet Under...
That was just insane. Almost as unreal as the three-way with Keith, David and the other guy and Ruth kissing Arthur not once, but twice. Craziness. What was up with the petting thing Ruth and Arthur were doing at the end of the episode? The writers think that three kisses would have been a bit much or something? They looked like two puppies sniffing each other, it was just odd in a touching sort of way.
Old 04-22-03, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by lisadoris
What was up with the petting thing Ruth and Arthur were doing at the end of the episode? The writers think that three kisses would have been a bit much or something? They looked like two puppies sniffing each other, it was just odd in a touching sort of way.
I am pretty sure it is something that Arthur thinks is necessary. Being the kind of person he is.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.