DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Futurama Continuity (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/287298-futurama-continuity.html)

Venusian 04-20-03 01:02 PM

Futurama Continuity

I saw someone mention that nibbler showed up in an episode a few months back when there was a flashback to the pilot and then they explained it in the last episode they aired. I was watching the dvds and noticed his shadow is in the actual pilot. wow, they must have had that story line planned out a long time in advance. pretty good continuity

mikehunt 04-20-03 04:46 PM

when they first found him he pooped out dark matter, then they never mentioned it again, but then a few weeks ago they had him poop out a dark matter ball again so they didn't forget. a little more continuity

Lateralus 04-20-03 06:36 PM

Now if they would continue to make episodes that would be great!

Morf 04-21-03 10:46 AM

Re: Futurama Continuity

Originally posted by Venusian
I saw someone mention that nibbler showed up in an episode a few months back when there was a flashback to the pilot and then they explained it in the last episode they aired. I was watching the dvds and noticed his shadow is in the actual pilot. wow, they must have had that story line planned out a long time in advance. pretty good continuity
I noticed that same thing when watching the Season 1 DVDs. Amazing.

JohnPhoenix 04-21-03 11:56 AM

I thought that was very interseting myself. The one thing that does bother me with Futurama's continuity is that in the first episode it appears that Dr. Farnsworth doesnt know who Bender is but in later episodes it was revealed that he built him. I guess we could blame his "senility" for that one?

Chew 04-21-03 12:03 PM

Re: Re: Futurama Continuity

Originally posted by Morf
I noticed that same thing when watching the Season 1 DVDs. Amazing.
Or maybe they just added that extra frame or two into the DVD to make it look like they planned it all along? hmmmmm

Chew 04-21-03 12:04 PM

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix
I guess we could blame his "senility" for that one?
I think that's a pretty good guess.

resinrats 04-21-03 12:44 PM

I didn't see the episode last night. However, I know nibbler was introduced not long after the series started. They could have had him all designed when the started animating the pilot and just put him in.

Brian_92gsr 04-21-03 01:30 PM

Re: Re: Re: Futurama Continuity

Originally posted by Chew
Or maybe they just added that extra frame or two into the DVD to make it look like they planned it all along? hmmmmm
I just watched my copy of the original airing of the pilot and the shadow was there.

Jay G. 04-21-03 04:05 PM

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix
I thought that was very interseting myself. The one thing that does bother me with Futurama's continuity is that in the first episode it appears that Dr. Farnsworth doesnt know who Bender is but in later episodes it was revealed that he built him. I guess we could blame his "senility" for that one?
In what episode did they say Dr. Farnsworth built him? As far as I know, Bender was built in Mexico (See "Amazon Women in the Mood"). His full name is Bender Bending Rodriguez.

Bender is a robot, and thus built after a prototype. There are other robots that looks just like him, such as Flexo. Farnsworth may have designed the prototype for Bender, but I don't think he actually built Bender. In fact, on Mother's Day, Bender got a card from his mom, a robotic assembling arm.

JohnPhoenix 04-21-03 11:51 PM

Jay G. I think you are right. I watched Bendless love and he was indeed built on an assembly line in Mexico. I thought a saw an episode last season where Farnsworth built him but you're probably right about it being just a prototype.

edit: the episode I saw was "Crimes of the Hot" and it was indeed a prototype! I have been out matched! :)

mijang 04-22-03 12:11 AM

Does anyone know of a website where I could download that Futurama flashback episode than aired recently? I missed it when it originally aired, and i've been trying for about 3 or 4 days to download it from Kazaa with no luck.

Jackskeleton 04-22-03 12:57 AM

no links to priated copies of the show please. ;) we don't want this to be closed. ;)

RichC2 04-22-03 01:13 AM

Futurama has no continuity - because it's never on.

Anyone else noticed the previously planned episodes got pulled off the schedule? And for what?

-Two King of the Hills back-to-back
-Making of X-men and two episodes of The Pitts
-Two King of the Hills back-to-back

:(

Here's to hoping there's secret talks to bring the show back.

*ahh the fantasy of that.*

That said, yeah I thought it was badass that they have actual timelines running through the series, even as screwy as they can get. It's really quite entertaining and fun.

UAIOE 04-22-03 02:00 AM

I gave up on those bitches at FOX months ago.

I going to buy the season sets on DVD and never watch thier damn dirty ape network ever again.

Jay G. 04-22-03 07:34 AM

FOX has been airing the episodes out of order a lot as well, so if there are some continuity issues, they're probably from that.

Red Dog 04-22-03 09:29 AM

FYI - I believe that the remaining episodes will be aired starting in June.

Chew 04-22-03 01:48 PM

Originally posted by Red Dog
FYI - I believe that the remaining episodes will be aired starting in June.
And what Fox giveth, it taketh away:

To make room for its summer series, FOX will forgo airing repeats of "Boston Public," "24," "Fastlane" and "John Doe" during the period. Still to be determined however are the fates of the unaired installments of "Futurama" (8 episodes) and "Cedric the Entertainer Presents" (6 episodes) both of which had previously been scheduled to run new episodes beginning in June.
Link

Grrrrr

Wallet Boy 04-23-03 12:30 PM

Yeah the last episode Fox ran tied up a LOT of stuff. It touched on:

- Why Nibbler's shadow is seen in the pilot
- Why Nibbler was on Vergon 6 when the crew went there to save the animals before the planet exploded
- The episode where Fry sleeps with his Grandma and is his own Grandpa
- The earlier Nibblonian/Brain war episode
- The episode that flashes back to the pilot where Nibblers eye-stem thingy is in the trash can

Very cool

TK-421 04-23-03 12:57 PM

Originally posted by Wallet Boy
- Why Nibbler was on Vergon 6 when the crew went there to save the animals before the planet exploded

I missed this.. why was he there?

mikehunt 04-23-03 04:05 PM

I missed the Vergon 6 thing and the grandma thing

Jackskeleton 04-23-03 04:53 PM

Grandma thing was in the roswell episode.

Wallet Boy 04-23-03 08:08 PM

Originally posted by mikehunt
I missed the Vergon 6 thing and the grandma thing
When Fry from the future travels back to 1999 and catches Nibbler trying to push his past self into the cryogenic tube, Nibbler says that he is stationed on Vergon 6. 1000 years later, the Planet Express crew goes to Vergon 6 to rescue the animals before the planet explodes, and they take Nibbler as well, who Leela finds at the last minute there.

As far as the grandma thing goes, the crew went back in time to 1947 Roswell, New Mexico and Fry slept with his own grandmother. That's why he lacks the Delta brainwave and is able to defeat the Brains.

Lara Means 04-23-03 08:48 PM

Futurama is a terrific show. Is it really canceled for good?

Jay G. 04-23-03 08:56 PM

I'm not sure if it's ever been officially 'cancelled,' but in January 2002, when the time came to order new episodes, FOX decided not to. The staff writers and artists have all moved on now, since they need jobs. FOX could still theoretically order more episodes, mean Greoning would have to whip up a whole new crew. However, considering the way FOX is treating the leftover episodes they had, that prospect seems highly unlikely.