DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The Audio 'bleeping' on MTV is out of control! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/287241-audio-bleeping-mtv-out-control.html)

Giles 04-19-03 09:51 PM

The Audio 'bleeping' on MTV is out of control!

I am sitting here on the computer listening to my roommate watch MTV 'Fraternity' show and all the bleeps removing all the naughty words is grating and has gotten downright annoying. Sure MTV can't presented this show unaltered but comeon, just once I'd like to not here that annoying... bleep... bleep... bleep, bleep.... bleep......... ARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHH!!!!!

freedexter 04-19-03 10:28 PM

You can't say anything violent: not even "gun" is ok.

Thongs and half-naked people are fine, though.

Groucho 04-19-03 10:46 PM

Uh, I'm pretty sure they don't bleep "gun" on MTV.

freedexter 04-19-03 10:54 PM

Originally posted by Groucho
Uh, I'm pretty sure they don't bleep "gun" on MTV.
They do. Any violent lyrics are not allowed.

I picked gun as an example because I distinctly remember watching a Missy Elliot video and she said "Shook like you got a gun", and "gun" was edited out.

SuperJim88 04-20-03 01:01 AM

Re: The Audio 'bleeping' on MTV is out of control!

Originally posted by Giles
....just once I'd like to not here that annoying... bleep... bleep... bleep, bleep.... bleep......... ARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHH!!!!!
In your ....bleeping bleep bleep..... dream!!

These kind of bleeping bleep..... will only be.....bleeping bleeping..... more. No Bleep.

Josh-da-man 04-20-03 01:16 AM

MTV seems kind of inconsistent with their censoring of "gun"-related lyrics.

They took out part of the lyrics out of The Butthole Surfers' "Pepper," but left in references to gun violence in Metallica's cover of "Whiskey in the Jar." Maybe it's okay since it took place in the nineteenth century or earlier?

MrPeanut 04-20-03 02:08 AM

Why does the beep have to be significantly louder than the rest of the audio though? There is a point where if you'er in another room the beeping is all you hear further driving me insane.

GeoffK 04-20-03 01:23 PM

This is why I TOTALLY skipped The Osbornes Season 2. Watching season 1 'unbleeped' on DVD was much much much better. So I'm going to just wait for season 2 when I can see it and hear it without all the annoying bleeps.

Rypro 525 04-20-03 04:06 PM

Ozzy- I don't know what the bleep those bleep ing kids are doing, and the dogs are bleeping on the bleeping floor. (I know, its annoying.)

kantonburg 04-20-03 08:55 PM

Yea but is the alarm clock bleep worse than the MTV bleep? :D

BJacks 04-20-03 10:45 PM

They bleep drug references too. I remember a lot of stupid editing on the video for Everlast's "What It's Like." But of course, showing the Real Worlders screw everyone in Las Vegas is a-ok.

FuzzyBallz 04-20-03 11:04 PM

Man, I'm just waiting for MTV to come out w/ Real World: Las Vegas uncut. Brynn + Irulan + Trishelle + Naked = Yum.

The alarm clock bleep has nothing on me 'cause I'll shut it off before it starts.