Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Buffy 4/15/03 the Return of (most) our favorite character

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Buffy 4/15/03 the Return of (most) our favorite character

Old 04-15-03, 11:03 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think 2 potentials died, Caleb snapped one girl's neck and stabbed the other one.

That was one of the best Buffy's ever!!!!!!! This show can't go away!!!!

Faith and Spike are great toghether, much better than Spike and Buffy.

Andrew was awesome...again.

Poor Xander, I had to look away when that happened.
Old 04-15-03, 11:07 PM
Zee

UPN 38 broadcast Buffy at 11 PM, after the game and other scheduled programs were over. There were a couple notices about it during the game (go Shea!).

Damn fine episode, by the way.
Old 04-15-03, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I may be alone here (I'm pretty sure I am), but get over it Joss, Firefly was canned, no need to try and migrate over the entire casts to the two shows you did right.....though, Jewel Staite as a regular on Angel would be damn spiffy.
Old 04-15-03, 11:14 PM
Banned

Location: John "57 Varieties" Kerry represents me in the US Senate.
Ah! Just got done watching it at 11 PM. So it would appear that my entire night was not totally ruined. Shea Hillenbrand is God! GO SOX!
Old 04-15-03, 11:17 PM

The moral of the story: If you cancel a Joss Whedon show, the cast comes back evil and pissed. I kind of like Caleb. He's done more in one episode than the First really did with most of the season. Of course, I liked the First in its first real episode this season, and that didn't turn out too well.

I liked this episode way more than I've liked most of the season, but it still suffered from the sloppy writing that's been a problem. See: Buffy admitting she should be at work, and then having Dawn call down to her from the top of the stairs. Also, the stupidity that is having the Scoobies assume Faith would be safe at prison. So stupid. So, so stupid.

Poor Xander. When he had a scene that was actually about him early in the episode, I knew it was going to end badly. The eyeball-gouge broke my heart. Xander is the only one of the original characters who had avoided letting the state of things completely ruin his life (He's had a couple of good speeches this season that seem to mean he hasn't completely given up hope.) and it kills me to see him suffer for it. At least Buffy actually cared that he was injured this time. Nice change.

The Giles/Buffy relationship is dead, and I miss it already. I really didn't need to see Faith and Spike flirt--I was kind of hoping Faith would resist Spike's inexplicable charms. Bah.

Not a bad episode overall. Would have like it more earlier in the season, or coming off a stronger arc.
Old 04-15-03, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by Jlbkwrm
Also, the stupidity that is having the Scoobies assume Faith would be safe at prison. So stupid. So, so stupid.

Poor Xander. When he had a scene that was actually about him early in the episode, I knew it was going to end badly. The eyeball-gouge broke my heart. Xander is the only one of the original characters who had avoided letting the state of things completely ruin his life (He's had a couple of good speeches this season that seem to mean he hasn't completely given up hope.) and it kills me to see him suffer for it.

The Giles/Buffy relationship is dead, and I miss it already. I really didn't need to see Faith and Spike flirt--I was kind of hoping Faith would resist Spike's inexplicable charms. Bah.

Not a bad episode overall. Would have like it more earlier in the season, or coming off a stronger arc.
Actually, didn't they mention that Faith would be safer in prison at the beginning of the season? It makes sense to me. Since Faith is a slayer, she possesses more strength than a common inmate and the chances of something supernatural flowing in is imp--...oh, wait...that inmate attacked her with a funky knife...nevermind..

I agree about the Giles/Buffy thing. My first real exposure to the PRE-UPN Buffy is Season 3 [Which I just got done watching..] And it's much, much lighter in tone while being "dark" -- if that makes any kind of sense..

And I think this episode is going to kick off a stronger arc...oh, wait...next week's another friggin' repeat..nevermind..
Originally posted by Flay
Pretty darn good episode. Faith lookes like she has put on a couple pounds. You can see it in the chin.

Caleb is one crazy mofo. He makes a great villian.
That's A-OK with me. More to squeeze into those leather pants..

And I agree about Caleb.
Originally posted by Rypro PG-13
upn never repeats shows
Not true in the tri-state area..when Smackdown is pre-empted on Thursdays, it's usually shown on Saturday or Sunday..

Also...that hispanic slayerette
Old 04-15-03, 11:39 PM
Needs to provide a working email

Originally posted by Merin
And for those of us without broadband? Anybody know when UPN repeats these (Seattle/Tacoma region)?
Deleted
Old 04-15-03, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
While I don't think it merits a series, I wouldn't mind a few episodes of Angel having Faith and Spike working together again. Of course if Angel gets canned...
Old 04-15-03, 11:46 PM

Originally posted by Rogue588
And I think this episode is going to kick off a stronger arc...oh, wait...next week's another friggin' repeat..nevermind..
Ugh, I was almost positive that was that was the last break for Buffy. For those interested there are 4 episodes of Angel left with no more reruns, starting today and going through May 7. After next weeks rerun of Buffy the following 4 episodes are up.
Old 04-16-03, 12:50 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Someone said they wanted to know, so...

5x5 is radio slang for a good transmission. The first number is for strength of signal, and the second is for clarity. Basically, it's like saying "10-4" or "I read you loud and clear," but it's not as trite.

(I had to look it up.)
Old 04-16-03, 01:10 AM

Originally posted by joelgee
Y'know. Just wondering if Caleb is Joss Whedon's homage to Robert Mitchum's character in Night of the Hunter.
Just wondering.
J
I was thinking exactly the same thing. I still think "Conversations With Dead People" is the season's best but this is close enough to almost make me forgive all the weeks of filler. I see Nathan Fillon and I really miss Firefly. Instead of enduring the going-through-the-motions of most of the season, "Dirty Girls" saw the return of the funny/creepy style of storytelling Buffy has produced for so long. Caleb can certainly take his place at the head of The Big Bad list. It was great to see Xander being the focal point of something funny with the dream sequence and his speech was well earned given his history as the one non-powered member of the Scoobs. I knew it was coming but him losing his eye was still a shock and a good clue that the show really is ending and all bets are off. Great seeing Faith and the scene with Spike was great. I like the new souled Spike and am glad the whining he has done a lot of the season is gone. The only thing that bothers me is the current Buffy/Giles situation. It is so good to be feeling this good about Buffy again. Several weeks ago I didn't think it was going to happen but Team Whedon really has me dreading the end of the show.
Old 04-16-03, 02:56 AM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Good:
Xander's fantasy
Faith vs. the Vulcanist?
Faith/Spike, the second scene
The devastating battle

The bad:
Xander's injury
Two speeches (though they salvaged one with Andrew's tear)
Next week is a rerun! - WTF??!!

The best part:
The stakes have been raised (heh) and now I'm starting to think anything can happen. Hopefully this will top the rollercoaster ending of Season 5.
Old 04-16-03, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,875 Posts
Originally posted by clemente
I may be alone here (I'm pretty sure I am), but get over it Joss, Firefly was canned, no need to try and migrate over the entire casts to the two shows you did right...
Just be glad Caleb wasn't played by Sisqo.
Old 04-16-03, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
Really good episode. I for one am glad that Buffy got knocked down a peg or two - she's been acting a little too high and mighty lately. Maybe now she'll realize she does have a few more things to learn from Giles. Though I do wish it could have been done without Xander losing an eye (sniff sniff). Caleb deserves the creepy villian award for the season but now I really miss Firefly (bring on the DVD release please).

I did get confused when Caleb told Xander "you must be the one that sees things." At first I thought maybe he has Xander confused with Willow (maybe he thinks witches can see things other people can't) but I don't know that that makes sense either.

My other happy moment was when principal Wood fired Buffy. I just sat there at the begining of the conversation yelling "She threatened to kill you the least you can do is can her butt" and he did.

As much as I love Xander, no one else on this show should be allowed to make another speech! Ever...
Old 04-16-03, 07:34 AM

No doubt a pretty good ep last night. It was refreshing to get a little action finally, BUT... I just can NOT get over my discouragement about the way this show has been handled for two years now. The pacing of this season, a season that has held extraordinary possibility, has simply ruined it. The anticipation is just gone because by the time the next episode rolls around I've forgotten what happened last. They feed us something like last night and STILL throw a rerun our way the very next week. They spent several weeks obviously killing time waiting for events on Angel to develop instead of writing some classic stand-alone's like they have always been known for.

I guess I am just angry because, try as you might, you can just feel when Joss is not behind the wheel, and he hasn't been for some time now. I hate that I loath the Buffy character, because I use to LOOOOOVE her. I hate that Giles has become an after thought. I hate that Xander is a shadow of himself and that no one remembers how to write him. I hate how disjointed and unemotional and forced it has all become.

All that being said, I am still WAY on board. It's like yelling at your kid for being bad, you still love them. I will most likely weep like Andrew during the last couple of episodes. I am sure the big surprises are going to be worth the wait. I just wish the show, in general, was living up to itself and, sadly, it is not.

Just had to get that off my chest. There's heaps more, but that will suffice. Thanks for your order. Please drive around.
Old 04-16-03, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I wasn't that impressed with the episode. To me, the Caleb thing came out of nowhere. It seems as the whole storyline was rushed, as if they had built up to the big bad, had to wait until the end, and threw this in to waste some time. I am not saying that the show didn't have its moments, but i just didn't think that it was as great as everyone else though...
Old 04-16-03, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm glad I didn't know about Xander getting his eye poked out because I was pretty shocked by it when it happened. That said, seeing Xander with an eyepatch for the last few episode is going to be bittersweet.

The Caleb character was clumsily brought into the story (sprinkling bits about he being the one who organized the council's demise and the Bringers uprising) does little in explaining the things he can do. Oh well, only so many episodes left.

The Faith moments were fine. The Buffy moments were strained, it does seem the burden is simply too much given the weight of the apocalypse on one person/slayer.

The "attack" on the winery was damn dumb. Really. I thought we'd be past the "haste makes waste" lessons. I guess not.
Old 04-16-03, 07:56 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
was definitely the most violent Buffy episode i can remember, i just love it!

Caleb rocks !! is he a totally new villian ? or has he appeared before ?

seeing Faith, Spike and Buffy fight side by side was almost orgasmic. Imagine throwing in Angel and Wesley !

overall kick ar*se episode
Old 04-16-03, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Great episode because it had:
funny Andrew stuff
eye-gouging of primary character
formidable new bad guy

and most importantly-

the return of Faith

I know better than to question logic in the Buffy-verse, but (just for cheap laughs):

- Who pays the hospital bills for the injured? It's not like any of them have jobs, let alone insurance?
- How did they get the "It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" all thematically connected patients in the same hospital room arrangement?
Old 04-16-03, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by 12thmonkey
Who pays the hospital bills for the injured? It's not like any of them have jobs, let alone insurance?
Willow just conjures up piles of money when needed.
Old 04-16-03, 08:20 AM

Originally posted by clemente
I may be alone here (I'm pretty sure I am), but get over it Joss, Firefly was canned, no need to try and migrate over the entire casts to the two shows you did right....
No, you're not the only one. I was just trying to get used to Zoe (Gina Torres) showing up as the Big Bad on Angel. Then, out of the blue, Mal (Nathan Fillion) turns up on Buffy. Nothing against the actors, but I find this casting really distracting.

Excellent episode otherwise. In addition to some of the great stuff mentioned by others, I loved the chemistry between Faith & Spike. The best Slayer/Vamp combo since Buffy & Angel.
Old 04-16-03, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
They knew they were going to get into a major fight - you know, the whole "hornet's nest". Now why didn't they just take a couple of guns with them - it's gotta be easier getting a gun than a freaking crossbow and swords. A 12-gauge shotgun blast to the face would've very likely taken out Caleb and any bringers. Do they ever mention why they never use guns? Sure, it doesn't work on vampires, but they knew they were taking on bringers.
Old 04-16-03, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Brian_92gsr
Ugh, I was almost positive that was that was the last break for Buffy. For those interested there are 4 episodes of Angel left with no more reruns, starting today and going through May 7. After next weeks rerun of Buffy the following 4 episodes are up.

The last episode of "Buffy" is on May 20 right?
Any word of it being a two hr finale?
Also is that the same night of the "NYPD Blue"/"24" finales?
Any chance of FX re-airing say the last four or five episodes in a mini-run (or perhaps the whole season) before the final episode of the series airs? (Sorta similar to what TBS is doing with "Dawsons Creek".)

LB...

Last edited by LaxBandit; 04-16-03 at 10:07 AM.
Old 04-16-03, 10:20 AM
Banned

Here is something I thought of last night:

Could Principal Wood be getting revenge on Buffy for her siding with Spike? It was his idea to send the potentials into battle. It seems strange that Buffy listened to him and not Giles or the rest of the group.
Old 04-16-03, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I really do not get it, how many of the DVDTalkers are "loving" this episode. It wasnt as bad as Riley's or the Nerd Trio, but Whedon's creation has taken a healthy dump in recent weeks (both shows).

Those who have read ahead know that
Spoiler:
Xander gets some sort of "power" prior to the showing end
, but this served no purpose. Who in their right mind is going to go into a house with the Bringers, when they could simply level it and be done with them. Lets think about that one for a sec. Too easy of a solution, but come on they are confined in one area and you are going to walk into their "home turf"?

I was talking about "Buffy" with a friend of mine and I have come to agree with her, Whedon hates women. Think about it Buffy has become something that 19 to 21 year old males can JO to. Lets see opening pillow fight, Faith stretching in a very awkward position while removing jacket, and so on. Its like Jerry Bruckheimer has finally taken over all television, the more T & A and special effects the better.

Yes, I will be trashed/flamed for these comments, but come one face reality not three (3) weeks ago (actual "new" episodes) Buffy gave the potentials their first lesson by killing the "uber" vampire. Now we have Buffy not knowing what to do next and wandering the streets after her "army" got their asses handed to them by a former Soap actor and a couple of Bringers. Anyone else see a lack of imagination here?

Last week's Angel and last nights Buffy are both very poor episodes compared to what has been done in the past by both shows. Both shows "tanked" once Whedon stepped away and attempted to do something else, and now since that failed, he feels obliged to give the leads roles in his "established" shows. Buffy is gone in a matter of weeks and if this continues I really do not see Angel being picked up for another season. Hell, Whedon has already said that Angel is getting a huge overhaul next season (ala new story arch). Nothing like starting from ground zero after your creation has completely vanished.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.