Will the networks burst your 'bubble' show? [USA Today]

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 04-08-03, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.usatoday.com/life/televis...ur-shows_x.htm

Will the networks burst your 'bubble' show?
By Gary Levin, USA TODAY

Networks may have been quicker to renew promising series for next fall, but that's small comfort for the 19 series that remain "on the bubble" between renewal and cancellation.

Now it's time for fans to vote on which should be shoo-ins for renewal — and which should be consigned to the cancellation heap. (Related item: Vote to save your favorite shows.)

USA TODAY's annual Save Our Shows poll lured a record 48,000 votes last spring, when hovering holdouts Third Watch, Providence and Touched by an Angel won reprieves while other series, including Spin City and Ally McBeal, were canned.

This fall, Third Watch is all but assured of another season; so are 10 freshman series, including CSI: Miami, American Dreams, Without a Trace, Bernie Mac and 8 Simple Rules for Dating My Teenage Daughter. ABC alone renewed seven series in February, including some whose ratings didn't justify that early vote of confidence, such as sitcom Life With Bonnie. One reason: All six of ABC's new dramas have failed.

"We made a decision early to support a number of our shows that we believed in creatively and think we can build their audiences next year," ABC Entertainment president Susan Lyne says. It's this type of thinking that is needed to save this network. -dM

"The ratings level of shows that are on the bubble is probably lower than in the past," says Fox Television Entertainment Group chairman Sandy Grushow. Though overall viewership for Fox's Friday dramas Fastlane and John Doe is anemic, both shows win their time slots among Fox's core audience of men ages 18 to 34.

"If you believe in a show's creative potential, even if you're not seeing ratings where you'd like them to be, you're more likely to be patient," he says.

ABC's Dragnet, which was introduced in February, hasn't yet made the cut. Neither has CBS' fizzling My Big Fat Greek Life or NBC's Kingpin and Boomtown, both critical favorites that haven't found big audiences.

But there are fewer long-in-the-tooth shows on the fence this year: NBC's Providence already is axed, CBS' Touched wraps up April 27, and WB's Dawson's Creek graduates May 14.

One notable exception: ABC's law drama The Practice. It's the show's first year on the bubble, though it's in its seventh season. The show has seen a steady ratings slide this year, and it is ABC's most expensive series at $6.5 million an episode. The show's future depends partly on whether ABC can negotiate a new (and probably cheaper) contract with producer David E. Kelley and 20th Century Fox Television.
das
Old 04-08-03, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know if these types of campaigns help, but I voted for Angel and Boomtown.
Old 04-08-03, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I voted for Dragnet and Boomtown.

In the comments section, I slammed Bonnie Hammer for the hell of it.

Last edited by Iron Chef; 04-08-03 at 07:50 AM.
Old 04-08-03, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth Chew •<HR SIZE=1>I don't know if these types of campaigns help<HR SIZE=1>

Doubtful, but it gives us something to do before 8pm. Probably the best that could be expected from a newspaper poll is that they pick up the interest in a particular show and decide to run a feature story on a campaign to save it or something.

das
Old 04-08-03, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You know it's bad when you "don't care" about shows you watch. I watch John Doe and American Dreams but I probably wouldn't be heart-broken if they were cancelled.
Old 04-08-03, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
USA Today didn't have Ed listed on their list of bubble shows but hopefully that doesn't mean its fate has been sealed already. I voted for Boomtown and Angel (though I don't watch the latter). It really sucks when quality shows get yanked and crap stays on the air forever. I really wonder what networks are going to do once the reality phase is over and they haven't cultivated any other programming.
Old 04-08-03, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I voted for Angel, Dragnet, and Wanda At Large.
Old 04-08-03, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Boy, I don't watch any of the shows listed. Oh well, as long as they keep Jeopardy, The Shield, and the news I'll be happy.
Old 04-08-03, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Iron Chef
In the comments section, I slammed Bonnie Hammer for the hell of it.

I resisted the urge to slam her specifically, but I did mention that I'd like to see "more intelligent science fiction programming, like Farscape." (I try to work the word 'Farscape' into any media-related communications I send. )

As for the shows you could vote for, there wasn't much there that I cared about. I voted to drop The Practice and keep Angel. The others? blah...
Old 04-08-03, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Voted for:

Dragnet
The Agency
Boomtown
Fastlane

I hope they're right about American Dreams being assured of renewal.
Old 04-08-03, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In the comments box I told them I didn't want to see any more idiotic reality shows, such as "Who Wants To Marry A Glutton Bowl Champion?" . So does anyone think I could sue when this comes out in the summer?

Last edited by ChrisHicks; 04-08-03 at 02:42 PM.
Old 04-08-03, 10:56 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I voted to keep Oliver Beene. More shows should be this fresh and original...not to mention funny.
Old 04-08-03, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally posted by BJacks
Boy, I don't watch any of the shows listed. Oh well, as long as they keep Jeopardy, The Shield, and the news I'll be happy.
Sorry, the news has been cancelled. It will be replaced by reruns of "According to Jim."
Old 04-08-03, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts
"This fall, Third Watch is all but assured of another season; so are 10 freshman series, including CSI: Miami, American Dreams, Without a Trace, Bernie Mac and 8 Simple Rules for Dating My Teenage Daughter. ABC alone renewed seven series in February, including some whose ratings didn't justify that early vote of confidence, such a sitcom Life With Bonnie. One reason: All six of ABC's new dramas have failed. "

Umm... ABC has already renewed 8 Simple Rules. Bernie Mac is not a freshman series.
American Dreams is NOT all but assured renewal. It is on the bubble. Does this guy watch any tv?
Old 04-08-03, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
I voted for:

Dragnet
John Doe
Oliver Beene
Wanda At Large
Angel
Grounded For Life
Old 04-08-03, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho
I voted to keep Oliver Beene. More shows should be this fresh and original...not to mention funny.
Ugh - they should move this show to 9pm so it and The Pitts can be confined to one stinky hour of TV. Then I can atleast watch Malcolm and switch to HBO.

I kept:
John Doe
Wanda at Large
Angel
Grounded for Life

I dropped:
The Practice
Good Morning, Miami
Oliver Beene

I guess Boston Public has been picked up again. Might thrive next season if Kelley only has one series to concentrate on.
Old 04-08-03, 01:49 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 254 Likes on 192 Posts
All six of ABC's new dramas have failed.

That's what happens when pick up bad ideas(Dinotopia) and treat good shows(Miracles) poorly. I'm not saying Miracles would have been a hit but it was never given a chance.
Old 04-08-03, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I voted for Angel and Dragnet since they are the only shows on that list that i actually watch.

I'm glad Third Watch is coming back at least.
Old 04-08-03, 03:27 PM

Ed isn't on the list because USA Today declared it 'Canceled or near dead', so it's not eligible for the 'Save Our Show' thing. You can see the full list of ineligible shows here.

Stupid USA Today.

At least they let me vote for Angel.

Last edited by Jlbkwrm; 04-08-03 at 03:30 PM.
Old 04-08-03, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Groucho
I hope you're joking. This show is a direct rip-off of the Wonder Years. It is not so fresh and original.
Old 04-08-03, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, most of those I just don't care about, but I did vote to drop Greek Wedding, just so I don't have to suffer thru any more commercials for that show. Looks like sheer crap!

I voted to keep What I Like About You, Grounded for Life, Oliver Beene (not original, but still funny!), and Angel. And the Kennedy Experiment show, for the helluva it. Didn't really care one way or another about the rest.

Anybody know the results of the poll so far?
Old 04-08-03, 04:53 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Practice has to be the most insane show on TV. $6.5 million an episode?!? I've always thought it was absolutely hilarious when I'd see a cast member from The Practice on a talk show. It seems like everytime this happened they would say how it's amazing how they can film an episode in under 2 weeks. The Practice is probably the most formulaic show on TV. Every episode has the same rhythm and even many of the exact same camera shots. They always use the same sets too. They should be able to make an episode every 2 days.

I don't see how a show like Buffy can make an episode in the same amount of time, with a lower budget, have a couple action sequences, deal with more characters, have more sets, much more elaborate make-up, and still make a far better show than The Practice.
Old 04-08-03, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally posted by nny
The Practice has to be the most insane show on TV. $6.5 million an episode?!? I've always thought it was absolutely hilarious when I'd see a cast member from The Practice on a talk show. It seems like everytime this happened they would say how it's amazing how they can film an episode in under 2 weeks. The Practice is probably the most formulaic show on TV. Every episode has the same rhythm and even many of the exact same camera shots. They always use the same sets too. They should be able to make an episode every 2 days.

I don't see how a show like Buffy can make an episode in the same amount of time, with a lower budget, have a couple action sequences, deal with more characters, have more sets, much more elaborate make-up, and still make a far better show than The Practice.
I don't think they are talking about production costs as you point out, the costs are built into the show already and there are just the costs of the actors, etc.
I think they are talking about the licensing cost that ABC pays 20 Century Fox or TimeWarner AOL or whomever owns the rights to the show for the "privilege" of showing a show about defense attorneys who cannot lose and a District Attorney who cannot win but still has her job and is friends with the very people that beat her day in and day out.
Old 04-08-03, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I voted fora few shows, but the main one I'm most concerned about, of course, is ANGEL...

I think even if you don't watch it, do me a favour, and if you take the survey, say you want them to KEEP ANGEL...thanks,

MATT
Old 04-08-03, 09:44 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Most of you went too easy on those shows:

DROP

Dragnet (pisspoor compared to old show)
Lost at Home (ubercrap)
The Practice (David E. Kelley = Crapmaster General)
The Agency (Poor man's Alias, which isn't saying much)
Becker (Go back to Cheers)
Hack (Dirty cop fights for good, How original)
My Big Fat Greek Life (never should have been made)
Boomtown (Really boring)
Good Morning, Miami (Good Night, Miami)
Kingpin (Wasn't this called Traffic?)
Cedric the Entertainer Presents (Low Brow Humor that's not funny)
Fastlane (Kelly Kapowski is hotter than ever, but the writing is horrid)
Oliver Beene (Malcolm in the Middle knockoff)
Wanda at Large (Wanda is funny, The rest of the show is not)
Angel (This show has gone downhill in a major way. Put it out of its misery!)
Grounded for Life (Jumping networks only makes it worse)
What I Like About You (Is that you hate this show)

KEEP

John Doe (Average writing with great premise)
Jamie Kennedy Experiment (His pranks are the best, just schedule it against something else. CSI will always win.)

Last edited by Flay; 04-08-03 at 09:47 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.