DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Buffy Question? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/284456-buffy-question.html)

costanza187 04-07-03 09:32 PM

Buffy Question?

What is Anya's deal with bunnies? Was there some event that caused this phobia, or is it something that she just has?
I've seen every episode at least 2X but I cannot remember what caused this, if there was some event or what causes this...Was it the halloween thing or something?

Jlbkwrm 04-07-03 09:53 PM

Re: Buffy Question?

Originally posted by costanza187
What is Anya's deal with bunnies? Was there some event that caused this phobia, or is it something that she just has?
I've seen every episode at least 2X but I cannot remember what caused this, if there was some event or what causes this...Was it the halloween thing or something?

It's never outright stated, but in the season 7 episode "Selfless", we get flashbacks to Anya's pre-demon life. Her name was Aud, she loved Olaf, she raised bunnies. Lots and lots of bunnies. Everywhere, bunnies.

Olaf wound up cheating on her, she turned him into a troll, then she was offered the chance to be a vengence demon.

So, it stands to reason that Anya's bunny-phobia is because they're tied to the part of her life when things went very, very wrong.

Though, since they've never flat-out said that's why, they could always make up a different reason later.

Josh-da-man 04-07-03 11:02 PM

I always sort of took it for a running gag, myself.

You know, since she's a demon/monster, she's aftraid of something "cute" like a little bunny, instead of the usual suspects like spiders and snakes.

Presidentpez 04-07-03 11:16 PM

It started out as a great running joke. But in Selfless they do explain it, a little cryptically. I think Jlbkwrm could be right, but i have my own little theory. I think Anya/Aud was unable to have children. Bunnies with their constant reproduction represented what she couldn't do. Especially with Olaf cheating on her with a "load bearing barmaid". I don't know if that's what they meant, but i would make sense as to why she's afraid of them. Another theory could be a fear of having children. i don't know...i'm tired.

Rogue588 04-07-03 11:52 PM

MORE Buffy questions..

Smack in the middle of watching season three..

Buffy mentions "when I died..". So that means that she's died twice..? [which, I suppose, would explain Faith?]

RolloTomasi 04-07-03 11:57 PM

Buffy died at the end of the first season when she fought the Master. She was then "resurrected" by CPR, but since it counted as a death, it called the next slayer, Kendra, who was Faith's predecessor.

dolphinboy 04-08-03 12:08 AM

Re: Buffy Question?

Originally posted by costanza187

I love Anya and I'm gonna miss her and her crazy bunny phobia. :)

http://www.mybunnies.com/images/big_...nies_names.jpg

costanza187 04-08-03 06:25 AM

Re: MORE Buffy questions..

Originally posted by Rogue588
Smack in the middle of watching season three..

Buffy mentions "when I died..". So that means that she's died twice..? [which, I suppose, would explain Faith?]

In the musical, the song "ive got a theory", buffy has a line "hey i died twice" anybody else notice that?

movieking 04-08-03 07:28 AM

Yes she died twice.

Spoiler:
Once at the end of Season One while fighting the Master (Xander revived her after she drown), and once at the end of Season Five, when she sacrificed herself to save Dawn (and the world). Willow and the others brought her back at the start of Season Six.

themovieguru 04-08-03 08:27 AM

How many seasons are there? My wife and I discovered Buffy this past October when we were in Florida. Her aunt had some box set so we began to watch it. Since then we have been avid watchers. Unfortunately we can only watch it on FX, we can't get WUPN so we have to wait for either the box set or FX to play the reruns. We have recently only been able to see upto the episode where Willow goes bersek and tries to destroy the world. After Xander saves her they started right back at season one. What season was that?

costanza187 04-08-03 10:01 AM

There's a total of 7 seasons... the whole thing comes to end this May :(

The "Evil Willow" thing was the end of Season 6