Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Tivo vs ReplayTV (questions from new convert)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-03, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used ReplayTv for a few years and I just switched from digital cable to DirecTV and bought a DirecTivo unit.

I got it up and running yesterday and so far I really like it-- especially the dual tuner and the integrated channel-changing capabilities (no missed channels! Yay!)

I figured out how to program the remote to do the 30-second skip, which I knew I wanted from my ReplayTV use.

However, there are a few things that I don't like about the software. I could just be missing an easy way to do something, so if you have any pointers, I'd love to hear them.

1. Is there not a STOP button? When you are watching a recorded show, is there an easy way to just stop it and delete it if you don't want the show? So far this seems kind of clunky and complicated to select it from the list again to delete it.

2. I don't like how you can't look at the Channel Guide or Now Playing without stopping the show you are watching. With ReplayTV, I'd be wartching a taped show and checking my screens to look at upcoming things all the while still able to hear the audio from the show I am watching.

3. Season Pass vs. Wish Lists --

First, I don't like how there is not an easy to add a Wish List show without spelling it out as a title keyword. I like how you can "Look for Shows" by title (and all shows show up on the list) but you can only add that show as a season pass, not a Wish List. I'd like to reserve Season Pass for shows that are must-see shows. Wish Lists for shows that are not-guaranteed "tape them if they are on" type shows (Like Trading Spaces.) I wish I could see a show name in the Channel Guide and easily create a Wish List for it. Or select it in teh Find Shows by Title as a Wish List.

And I don't know why Season Passes aren't automatically given preference over Wish Lists. When you add one, it goes right to the bottom of the Manager. Shouldn't Wish Lists always come after Seaosn Passes? I jknowyou can change their priority, but I shouldn't have to tell it that my Season Pass for Survivor should take precedence over the umpteenth rerun of While You Were Out.

And why does it take so long to update your Season Pass Manager? I understand it needs to re-index your To-Do list, but it even takes several minutes when I change a show's priority that doesn't even have any upcoming episodes. That seems really odd.

I do like the To-Do List concept and being able to cancel shows that I know I don't want. I also like how it doesn't record the same episodes over and over liek Replay does.

4. Suggestions

Is there a way to tell it to NOT record a suggestion without hitting the Thumbs Down. For instance, I love Buffy but don't want it to tape all the episodes I have seen& own. But I don't want to tell it I do not like Buffy.

Also, how come suggestions don't show up in the To-Do list? That would be a great way to tell it not to record something you know you won't watch.

Any good tips on how best to approach the suggestions? I am still not sure if I want to record them or not yet.

5. Elapsed time

Is there a button to push that shows how much time is left in a show? I know the FF bar has minutes, etc, but is there a quick way to check the time without FF the show?

I'm sure I have some other questions, but any TiVo experts have any advice on these?
Old 03-14-03, 11:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you will probably get a better response from
http://www.tivocommunity.com
Old 03-14-03, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Let's see if I can answer some of these for you.

1) Look for the little arrow w/ the line after it. Hit that once and it'll skip you all the way to the end of the program. Once you do that, you can delete it. Not sure if it's the same on the DirectTivo as it is on the regular stand alone models.

2) There's not a way to check the channel guide when watching a recorded show.

4) Suggestions don't show up in the To-Do list b/c they will only be recorded if there is room. If your To-Do list is packed, Tivo will never record a suggestion over one of the To-Do shows. The only way to record the ones you want would be to go into the pick programs to record menu and look at all the descriptions of the upcoming Buffy episodes. Then you can manually chose to record that, or delete it if Tivo was going to record it.

5) Push the play button. The little bar on the bottom will pop up, similarly if you were to push the FF button. Just push play again and it will disappear, or don't do anything and it will disappear after about 5 seconds.

I am far from a Tivo expert, even though I've had one for 3 years now. The best help would be over at www.tivocommunity.com
Old 03-14-03, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A few other suggestions/comments:

---Hitting the fast foward button, followed by the "skip to end" button will advance the show to the next tic mark, usually 15 minutes.

---When you go into the channel guide, you can also add Season Passes there. Just select a show and it brings up a few options.

---The DirecTiVo is horribly slow compared to the standalone unit for updating Season Pass order (amongst other things).

---I turn off automatic record of the suggestions. Most aren't that interesting to me and if I see something show up there I want to see, I set up the record myself.

---hitting the "exit" button will return you easily to the program you were watching prior to checking out "to do" or "Season Pass Manager" etc.

The MAJOR plus for TiVo over ReplayTV has always been the Season Pass with First Run Record. I never had to worry about missing a new episode and don't have constant repeats being recorded.
Old 03-14-03, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

To add some things

1) If you're near the end of the show (if not use the end-arrow like Deftones said to get there), just hit List and then Clear.

2) You can use the guide if your recorded show is still in the live buffer. So, if you've set it to record Sex Kittens in Paradise IV, but you're also watching it "live" delayed by about 10 minutes, you can hit the Guide button.

3) I don't understand what you want here. Wish Lists are more suited for recording things on wildcards, e.g. all programs starring "Nikki Cox" or all shows with the word "Baseball" in the title. I guess I don't understand how you expect TiVo to know WHEN you want to record Trading Spaces and when you don't, unless you just want First Run eps, in which case you should use Season Pass, or if you want it to only store 4 eps at a time, and again, you should use Season Pass. As for Wish List priority over Season Pass, I guess it depends on personal preference. Neither way is particularly better than the other, which is why you have the sort list.

4) Just turn off suggestions from the menus if they're a problem. The feature is very well done IMO, but I've had it turned off for years.

5) Play, like he said. You can also get the current time by hitting Display while the recording is playing.

Also, if you don't know, TiVo-2 will take you straight to the To-Do list. I must hit that combination about 30 times a day.

das
Old 03-14-03, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I think because you're already so used to the Replay software you're thinking of several things differently than the TiVo software does...

It sounds like you're trying to use Wish Lists for everything except your highest priority Season Passes... This will significantly slow down your TiVo's indexing functions.

Wish Lists are best for capturing shows that occur across several channels, or for the kind of wildcards that das mentions above, where you want to record everything on subject X or with actor X, etc...

If you're trying to capture a given show on a given station, it generally belongs as a Season Pass whether you consider it "unmissable" or not... In addition to adjusting its priority in the SPM, you tell it how long to save each ep, and how many to keep around...

For example, you can have it record the next 3 and then no more until you watch one... Or have it record 'em all the time (low priority) but only keep the most recent 3...

On the standalone at least, hitting the Play button again while something's already playing will display the green slider bar, total and elapsed time...

If you're watching a recorded show and want to delete it immediately, just push the LEFT navigation arrow... That'll take you directly back to the episode's info screen, which has the delete option.

(In TiVo menus generally, LEFT = Back Up /Escape and RIGHT = Forward, Select, Enter, etc...)

Last edited by adamblast; 03-14-03 at 01:17 PM.
Old 03-14-03, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,650 Likes on 1,031 Posts
I'm using the Wish List and Season Pass like this:

Buffy is a Season Pass, First run only (just an example, I have like 20 Season Passes)

"Tenacious D" is one of my Wish Lists. If a show has Tenacious D in the description, no matter what channel, it tapes.

I too am confused as to what you want Wish Lists to do that they aren't doing.
Old 03-14-03, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have a couple questions myself as I have DirecTV (have had it for a few years) but am thinking about picking up a DirecTivo unit so I can record programs (heard great things about it here).

1) DirecTivo is a recording unit AND and DTV reviever as well, correct? If so, is it easy to hook up myself, or will I need to call a DirecTV guy to come and hook this new unit up for me? I'm just wondering if it's a situation where I get it home, plug it up quick and just call cusotmer service to activate my new access card and I'm good to go, or if it's much more complicated and I need a guy to come to the house.

2) Can I record sports games using DirecTivo? If I have NFL Sunday Ticket, and I want to record the Cleveland Browns versus the Chicago Bears game, am I able to do this?

3) Do I HAVE to get DirectTivo to be able to record shows from DirecTV, or could I just get "regular" Tivo? Is there a significant difference between the two?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-14-03, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by PacMan2006
I have a couple questions myself as I have DirecTV (have had it for a few years) but am thinking about picking up a DirecTivo unit so I can record programs (heard great things about it here).

1) DirecTivo is a recording unit AND and DTV reviever as well, correct? If so, is it easy to hook up myself, or will I need to call a DirecTV guy to come and hook this new unit up for me? I'm just wondering if it's a situation where I get it home, plug it up quick and just call cusotmer service to activate my new access card and I'm good to go, or if it's much more complicated and I need a guy to come to the house.

2) Can I record sports games using DirecTivo? If I have NFL Sunday Ticket, and I want to record the Cleveland Browns versus the Chicago Bears game, am I able to do this?

3) Do I HAVE to get DirectTivo to be able to record shows from DirecTV, or could I just get "regular" Tivo? Is there a significant difference between the two?

Thanks in advance.
1) Yes, it is a combo unit. The installation shouldn't be too difficult if you already have DirecTV. The only thing is, DTivos have two tuners and you would need to either install or have installed a second cable from the dish.

2) It should be any different then any other show. But I'm new to DirecTV. With the two tuners, you could actually record 4 games per Sunday afternoon!

3) You can hook up a standalone TiVo too, but then you miss out on digital video, digital audio (5.1 Sopranos for example), two tuners, and more storage capacity compared to the standalone (DTivos record digitally and don't have a encoder like the TiVo and ReplayTV, so it always records at best possible quality). Plus, getting a DTiVo is much cheaper--$200 for a 35 hour unit vs. $249 for a standalone plus the $300 lifetime subscription cost.

Just go get a DirecTivo. You won't regret it!!

Last edited by Chew; 03-14-03 at 01:34 PM.
Old 03-14-03, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for your help, guys.

I guess I am thinking more of how the ReplayTV software works-- where you set up a "show based" guaranteed recording vs. a non-guranteed theme channel. So that way your can't miss shows get taped and the other shows only tape if there's no conflict.

So what you guys are saying is that I should Season Pass most/all shows that I like, but just make sure they are low priority and have less episodes to keep.

I guess I was worried that if I had too many season passes it would make it even slower or cause too many conflicts. Or if a show like "Changing Rooms" is on a bunch of times during the day that it would think it had to record all episodes or something.

The thing I hate about those types of cable shows is they are never marked Repeat so you can't really set them to only pick up the new episodes.
Old 03-14-03, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Jadzia

The thing I hate about those types of cable shows is they are never marked Repeat so you can't really set them to only pick up the new episodes.
TiVo knows the original airdate of most (95%) of all shows, so when you choose to record only new, rest reasonably assured that you'll get them.
Old 03-14-03, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

...and TiVo wins!
Old 03-14-03, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
Man, I just bought my DirecTivo receiver and am having it installed next week. I can't wait.
Old 03-14-03, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In answer to #5, concerning the "elapsed time" -

While playing a recording, hit "select-play-select-9-select". This will enable an on-screen display with the current time and elapsed time of the program in the bottom-right corner. When watching live TV, only the time is shown.

The display is very unobtrusive and stays on until the unit is reset or the code is entered again. I like it, so I leave it on.
Old 03-14-03, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally posted by NC-36
In answer to #5, concerning the "elapsed time" -

While playing a recording, hit "select-play-select-9-select". This will enable an on-screen display with the current time and elapsed time of the program in the bottom-right corner. When watching live TV, only the time is shown.

The display is very unobtrusive and stays on until the unit is reset or the code is entered again. I like it, so I leave it on.
wholly crap, that is an awesome feature. I never knew that. Thanks! Mine is only showing the time, though.
Old 03-14-03, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Jadzia
Thanks for your help, guys.

I guess I am thinking more of how the ReplayTV software works-- where you set up a "show based" guaranteed recording vs. a non-guranteed theme channel. So that way your can't miss shows get taped and the other shows only tape if there's no conflict.

So what you guys are saying is that I should Season Pass most/all shows that I like, but just make sure they are low priority and have less episodes to keep.

I guess I was worried that if I had too many season passes it would make it even slower or cause too many conflicts. Or if a show like "Changing Rooms" is on a bunch of times during the day that it would think it had to record all episodes or something.

I doubt you will have too many season passes and wishlists, I currently have 180 on one Tivo and 100 on another. Wishlists wil always slow any reorgazing you do down because it does a compete search for the item instead of just looking at a specific channel. For example I have a wishlist for Da Ali G show which runs on like 4 different Showtimes, instead of a season pass for each one on each channel. The order of your season pass manager tells the priority, so I usually sit down and go through my to do list and my season pass manager and reorganize based on what shows I really want and which ones I don't worry about.

Any shows not marked with guide data are the fault of the TV channel not supplying the guide data to Tribune. For those shows I put them at the very bottom or at least below shows that run during the multiple air times.
Old 03-14-03, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Deftones
wholly crap, that is an awesome feature. I never knew that. Thanks! Mine is only showing the time, though.
You have to be watching a recording for the elapsed time display to appear. Watching live TV only displays the current time.