Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Angel -- "Release" -- 03.12.2003

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-03, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
• Quoth Jadzia •<HR SIZE=1>I was really bored during this episode. Episode One bored.<HR SIZE=1>

Ditto

• Quoth Jadzia •<HR SIZE=1>It just seemed like nothing really happened except the same fight scene over & over. I thought I was watching Birds of Prey for a while.<HR SIZE=1>

Ditto

• Quoth Jadzia •<HR SIZE=1>Last week was so much better. <HR SIZE=1>

zzzzzzzzz ... oh yeah, Ditto.

das
Old 03-13-03, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts
I thought it was a pretty good episode, but I'm in the camp who's only been watching since the Faith episodes started.

What's with the fighting on Angel? It seems that both Faith and Angel have gained the ability to fly. I haven't seen fighting like that on Buffy before.

I've just been finishing up Buffy season 3 and I hadn't even made the connection between Wesley Wyndam Price and Wes. He doesn't even look like the same person anymore. Cordelia just has a different haircut and Faith pretty much looks exactly the same as she did.

It's been interesting, though. I can't wait for all the DVDs to come out, so I can catch up.

I wish the networks were showing the crossover episode in the correct order.
Old 03-13-03, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,656 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Originally posted by GoVegan
What's with the fighting on Angel? It seems that both Faith and Angel have gained the ability to fly. I haven't seen fighting like that on Buffy before.
I actually blame the "Buffy" crew for that.

Vampires are supposed to have superhuman strength and the ability to jump really high. Angel has done it several times on "Buffy" and a lot more on "Angel." Slayers are supposed to be comparable in strength and agility.

Buffy USED to be like that (look at the first episode of the series, she jumped over a 10 foot tall fence.) Now they seem to forget she has powers at all.
Old 03-13-03, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I wish the networks were showing the crossover episode in the correct order.
But, aren't they?? I don't have the plotlines of the rest of the season memorized, but the next episode:

Spoiler:
ends with Willow taking Faith back to Sunnydale

followed by

Spoiler:
the next new episode of Buffy shows Willow returning to Sunnydale with Faith.

Or where you referring to something else down the road?
Old 03-13-03, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts
Oh, I'd heard that the order was reversed.

I thought that the next episode of Buffy would show
Spoiler:
the gang deciding that Willow should go to L.A.
, but that the Angel episode in which that actually happens would be shown the previous week. It just seems strange that
Spoiler:
they wouldn't show Willow's departure on Buffy first, instead of just having her appear on Angel.
Old 03-13-03, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Spoiler:
they wouldn't show Willow's departure on Buffy first, instead of just having her appear on Angel.
That's just so you watch both shows!
Old 03-13-03, 10:58 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by lwhy?
I think DB is really great when he plays evil Angelus he just lets go and gets on with his bad self IMHO. Faith just seems very very very weak. Let's kill Connor and Cordy and move on.
I will have to disagree with you on this one. I think DB does not play Angelus as well as Angel. Everything seems so forced when he is plaing Angelus. Just my opinion.

--
ehanson
Old 03-13-03, 11:20 AM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

After the really high bench-mark set by last week's episode, this one looks bad. And on top of it, they make Faith out to be a Season-5 Buffy.

That last fight really dragged on, what with all the pauses for dialogue. But I wasn't really bored because I was waiting for something to happen. Too bad that was at the very end.
Old 03-13-03, 11:38 AM
Banned

Angel, the show, has been in top form this season and better than Buffy in my opinion but... the shows weakness, especially this season is in its lame setups of the lovey relationships. You got the Angel/Cordie flirting that didnt work and the Cordie/Connor thing that didnt work and no chemisty between fred and Gunn.
The two people that had chemistry, they didnt pair off and that was Fred and Wesley. Without these, I think it could be an even stronger show.
About last nights episode, it just wasnt that great to me. The writing was off and it didnt hold my attention.
The Angeleus scenes where he is in the bar were lame and just no menacing enough. Every scene Faith got her ass wipped. I dont know, maybe it was because she was weak from last weeks battles but it didnt seem consitant with Buffy fighting Angelus and the strength levels.
I also didnt like the verbal plot updates from Wesley about Faith. It just seemed like the dialougue was there just for that purpose.
I had never seen the writers names before and hopefully we wont see them more in the future.

As for people thinking Faith is vamped, do you really think
Spoiler:
that would happen before she goes to Sunnydale with Willow?
No.

I think Faith did shoot up with the drugs she found and Angelus bit her so...
Old 03-13-03, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,656 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Originally posted by cooper2000
As for people thinking Faith is vamped, do you really think
Spoiler:
that would happen before she goes to Sunnydale with Willow?
No.
Nice spoiler. I'm sure everyone appreciated that.

I think what they are trying to get across is that Faith may have lost her "lust for the kill" that made her a good Slayer. She didn't have a lot of Buffy's "gifts" and she made up for it by just kicking ass.

In prison, she was shown having to restrain herself, even when she could have mopped the floor with everyone and escaped at any time. Wesley was trying to get her "back in the game." Plus, I am sure some part of her doesn't want to hurt Angel, and she is still recovering from the beating she got from the Beast. It was only a day or so after she was almost beaten to death.

So I was okay with her getting whipped. Buffy does too, whenever she's despairing about something.
Old 03-13-03, 12:34 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Originally posted by Draven
I think what they are trying to get across is that Faith may have lost her "lust for the kill" that made her a good Slayer. She didn't have a lot of Buffy's "gifts" and she made up for it by just kicking ass.

In prison, she was shown having to restrain herself, even when she could have mopped the floor with everyone and escaped at any time. Wesley was trying to get her "back in the game." Plus, I am sure some part of her doesn't want to hurt Angel, and she is still recovering from the beating she got from the Beast. It was only a day or so after she was almost beaten to death.

So I was okay with her getting whipped. Buffy does too, whenever she's despairing about something.
I agree. Right at the very end you could tell she wasn't holding back anymore and that's when she beat Angelus to the ground. She had the look on her face from season 3 of Buffy in the ep where Buffy and her get jumped and Buffy almost gets bitten because Faith is on top of the vamp beating it instead of just killing it. Wes spent the entire episode trying to bring that Faith out.
Old 03-13-03, 12:34 PM
Banned

Spoiler?
Is ther eanyone that doesnt know
Spoiler:
Faith is going to be on Buffy????!!!
Old 03-13-03, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Following on the baby theories that some of you have mentioned, here's some theorizing on my own.

Let's say The First from Buffy is the Beast Master and as we know The First is non-corporeal. Maybe The First gained control of Cordy in the other plane before she was brought back with the goal of manipulating her to get with Conner (who we should all remember is fairly unique as the only known son of vampires, and now definitely a demon in some ways) to create a child that could be a vessel for The First to be corporeal and really reek some havoc. Remember the Baby is developing rapidly, like any day now it looks like it will be born. Who's to say it won't reach adulthood just as quickly. Then we'll have the progeny of a demon/superbeing (Cordy) & a demon/impossible offspring of Vampires (Conner) and whatever The First powers bring to the party. This would probably be a pretty big bad.

Just a thought.
Old 03-13-03, 12:54 PM

I still happen to think that the REAL Cordelia is still a "higher being" and the one we are seeing every week is an imposter. Has she had a vision this year without her eyes going all white? I don't remember if she had. There still was no real explanation about how or why she came back either. It makes sense if you think about it. She's been playing everybody all season.
Old 03-13-03, 12:58 PM

Spoiler?
Is ther eanyone that doesnt know
Spoiler:
Faith is going to be on Buffy????!!!
Yes, goddammit. How many times do you have to post spoilers without the use of spoiler tags in the Angel and Buffy threads before you get it!? I'll be pointing a moderator your way.

Last edited by Morf; 03-13-03 at 01:02 PM.
Old 03-13-03, 01:02 PM

Originally posted by HotThang
Am I the only one that thinks that Faith
Spoiler:
may have shot up with that stuff that they found in the vampire crack den
before the fight? I know it is kinda unbelievable but it could explain why they showed it in the first place.

Sam

oops! Dunno what made me thing that b /b made spoiler tags!

Sam
nope. I'm willing to bet that is exactly what she did. Overall another solid episode. So much so that even the Gunn/Fred stuff did not come off as too annoying. I thought they were going to pull an Amber Benson with Andy Hallett. You know, put him up with the regulars and kill him off. Looking forward to next week.
Old 03-13-03, 01:10 PM
Banned

cooper has a problem with spoilers. He has done it many times.

The show itself was great, except for the Gunn and Fred scenes. I wish they would both die a horrible death.

good stuff

-connor is part demon (although not shocking)
-Wes tortures that heroin addict
-Faiths reaction to Wes torturing that girl
-Wes bringin up the fact the Faith tortured him
-Angelus finally killed someone (shopkeeper)
-Faith vs Angelus
-Vampire with a gun
-Awesome cliffhanger
Old 03-13-03, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

problem now solved

das
Old 03-13-03, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Lateralus42
cooper has a problem with spoilers. He has done it many times.
Yup. He/She is one of two or three people I've ever had to put on my ignore list, which is a pity. I like reading what he/she has to add, but it's like he/she doesn't understand the concept of spoilers.

Just because you know something, no matter for how long you've known it, other people may have purposefully been avoiding it until it aired. Because you read a spoiler months ago doesn't make that spoiler common knowledge.
Old 03-13-03, 02:03 PM
Banned

Well, I dont see them as spoilers because its been posted anywhere.
Oh well.
Old 03-13-03, 02:24 PM

The shopkeeper got away, he wasn't killed by angelus. The key to wether Faith is vamped or not is the scene before the fight with the junkie torture
Old 03-13-03, 02:42 PM

Originally posted by drexel
The shopkeeper got away, he wasn't killed by angelus.
Well, one of the shopkeepers got away. The Occult Book dealer escaped, but the guy who made the fake charms was killed.

( Thanks for reminding me about the ignore list ...)
Old 03-13-03, 03:07 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, I dont see them as spoilers because its been posted anywhere.
Oh well.
No, not "oh well." Some people go out of their way to avoid reading spoilers for shows, and I don't want this to be one of the places they have to avoid because some people can't be bothered to put tags on stuff.

Spoiler-tag stuff that hasn't been aired yet as part of the main body of an episode, and this includes stuff you've seen in the "Next week on ______..." preview parts.
Old 03-13-03, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I think that the problem with Angelus now is they are showing too much of him. When they keep his appearances rare, he seems so much more menacing. It's as if DB can't keep up the bad guy act for long. He just becomes less dangerous. And his reaction when Cordy was in his head? It didn't seem like Angelus at all.

Oh and by the way I just rewatched episode one, and I didn't find it that boring. That first season is actually better second time around. On a sidenote, do the writers for this show give the worst commentaries or is it just me? I don't think these guys should even be allowed to write scripts without Joss looking over their shoulders because when they speak I get the impression that they don't "get" what Joss is doing. It's always "I thought this was cool, I thought that was neat so I wrote it." They don't even seem to understand character development or continuity. Maybe they were just uncomfortable recording commentaries, but I find their rationale for doing some things a little annoying.
Old 03-13-03, 03:15 PM

Who thought it would be a good idea to use that cheesey sound effect every time Faith or Angel made a giant leap? It was really distracting.

There's just not a whole lot to say about this episode; not a lot happened, as has been noted.

Next week, however? I fully predict my head will explode. It will be interesting to see
Spoiler:
if Willow will be a better written character on Angel, or if she'll carry some of Buffy's suck over.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.