Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Looks like season 5 of the Soprano's may not happen afterall.......

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Looks like season 5 of the Soprano's may not happen afterall.......

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-03, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
HBO is now countersuing

http://www.msnbc.com/news/883695.asp?0cv=CB20

HBO whacks back at ‘Sopranos’ star
Countersuit against Gandolfini expected in costly showdown

HOLLYWOOD, March 11 — Round two of “The Sopranos” wars opens Tuesday when HBO is expected to sue James Gandolfini, claiming he would cost the network $100 million by failing to show up for the fifth season of the popular and highly profitable mob drama. “We are exposing the frivolous nature of [Gandolfini’s] claims in our answer and cross-complaint,” said attorney Bert Fields, who represents the premium cable channel.

Gandolfini sued HBO last week claiming that under his contract, he does not need to perform unless he is notified of an additional season 10 days after it is ordered by HBO.

“IF HE DOESN’T show up by March 24, he’s going to owe a huge amount of money,” added Fields, who said there are no plans to continue the show without Gandolfini, who stars as conflicted mob boss Tony Soprano.

Gandolfini’s attorney, Marty Singer, said, “We haven’t said he’s not going to show up. We’re waiting for information about the viability of our claim that he didn’t get proper notice. I would think HBO would want to give us that information rather than bring a lawsuit.”

Gandolfini sued HBO last week claiming that under his contract, he does not need to perform unless he is notified of an additional season 10 days after it is ordered by HBO. The claim that Gandolfini was not notified in a timely fashion that there would be a fifth season is based on a report in the Wall Street Journal on July 17, 2001, that HBO had ordered a fifth season and had agreed to pay series creator David Chase $20 million.

The actor’s complaint also alleges that Gandolfini’s contract violates California law limiting personal service contracts to seven years.

Fields said that California’s labor statute isn’t applicable.
“Gandolfini’s a resident of New York, HBO is in New York, and the contract is governed by New York law,” Fields said. As for the notice provision, Fields said Gandolfini got timely notice under the contract and that an article in the Wall Street Journal isn’t what sets the time clock running. “It looks like we’re heading for a train wreck here,” Fields said.
Old 03-11-03, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gah, lets just end the darn thing. When has negative crap like this ever resulted in good season or ending for series? Never. X-files had actors that wanted out and or more money and it lost focus as well. Half of sopranos fans are already mad at the less violent direction show has be going for and I think their in for a shock if they really think its going to change that much to appease them. We have long delays, unhappy fans and critics calling the show has been already even before add this ammo of fighting to mix. LOL only reason to keep it going is so internet geeks have something to look forward to that they can act all shocked about when it does not live up to their expectations and complain about it till end of time like that so true caricacure comic guy on simpsons, "worse season ever"!

Last edited by madara; 03-11-03 at 12:43 PM.
Old 03-11-03, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wtg, HBO.

Gandolfini agreed to a long-term contract in good faith, and now he wants more money because it's successful, and he's using a cheap end-around to bully them into giving it to him. His lawyers have indicated multiple times that this lawsuit is just to squeeze more money out of HBO, and he has no intention of leaving the show. That's the definition of frivolous.

Is Gandolfini the heart of the show? Yes. Does he deserve a big fat wad of cash every episode? Yes. Does he get to weasel out of his contract and blackmail HBO into paying him more than he agreed? I don't think so. After taxes, his demands won't even net him $2.5 million.

das
Old 03-11-03, 03:36 PM
Suspended

Let's face it no Tony No Sopranos. I can't blame Gandolofini he's a fantastic actor not getting what he's worth if you compare it to friends or Frasier, but then again those shows have much more viability in syndication than the Sopranos. But Sopranos is single handedly saving HBO
Old 03-11-03, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Dave Scarpa
I can't blame Gandolofini he's a fantastic actor not getting what he's worth if you compare it to friends or Frasier
I personally think those comparisons are meaningless... were not talking about a contract that Kelsey Grammer or David Schwimmer signed. We're talking about James Gandolfini's contract that he accepted and agreed to. Now, he wants out of it. I say tough...

What if it had gone the other way? Say HBO signed him to a contract for $1 million per episode and then the ratings tanked. If HBO went back to him and said, "Gee, we think we're overpaying you. We're going to back out of the contract and pay you less." Do you think that would fly?

Underpaid or not, he agreed to it and felt it was fair. He should honor it.
Old 03-11-03, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
I blame the lawyers. I bet they're the ones who put it to J.G. to use this tactic for more $.

I swear, every thing that is somehow messed up and reeks of greed, can be traced back to a lawyer.
Old 03-11-03, 05:06 PM

Originally posted by brizz
“It looks like we’re heading for a train wreck here,” Fields said.

Instead of everybody getting greedy, they should have done the 4th season as planned and ended it at that. Instead HBO got greedy and tried to stretch it out. Now the loyal fans may never get to see the ending of what is like an extremely long movie. And now James Gondolfini(sp) is being greedy.
Old 03-11-03, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by slop101
I blame the lawyers. I bet they're the ones who put it to J.G. to use this tactic for more $.

I swear, every thing that is somehow messed up and reeks of greed, can be traced back to a lawyer.
Oh yeah, it must be a lawyer. I'm sure J.G. had nothing to do with it. Give me a break. He's been making resentful comments in the media about the Sopranos for years. He's made it clear that he feels like he's being typecast as a thug.
Old 03-11-03, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If I were the attorney for HBO negotiating this deal, then sure, I'd give in to Mr. Gandolfini's salary demand . . .

. . . so long as he acceded to my mandatory nude scene per episode clause.

Lick! Woof! Lick!

Old 03-11-03, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know....I think I have to side with Gandolfini on this one....if they can give David Chase $20 MILLION to do an *extra* season, then why doesn't the star also deserve a raise? Seems to me that they agreed initially to do 4 seasons, but HBO pushed and pushed and pushed to get a fifth season....the cast wasn't thrilled with that from what I remember, so I think he has a perfectly reasonable gripe. HBO demanded one more season...they should pay for it.
Old 03-11-03, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I find it funny that everyone damning him is a stickler for what's written in the contract, yet if his claim is correct, HBO violated the contract, and he's excercizing the rights given to him in that same apparently sacrosanct contract. That's based on several assumptions, but if it's all true...then that's true also.

Last edited by Buck Turgidson; 03-12-03 at 04:54 AM.
Old 03-11-03, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 353 Likes on 229 Posts
None of us has read his contract, so we're all full of ****. And I mean that in the nicest way possible.

tasha
Old 03-12-03, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
While I despise these types of tactics, I truly hope the 5th season goes on as planned. $400,000 PER EPISODE is truly an amazing amount of money, but there's little doubt the show would be a WASH without him. So get him back, make the final season one to remember, and go out in a blaze of glory.
Old 03-12-03, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: The Quad-city area of Melonville, Meckling, the Boro of Melon, and Party Town
It's been reported by various media outlets that HBO at some point offered JG 800K per ep, but he still hasn't withdrawn the suit. From Yahoo entertainment news:

"Gandolfini's lawyer didn't return calls, but has said HBO, which has sold $75 million in Sopranos DVDs, is short-changing the star. He made about $4 million last season and was offered more than $8 million to return, although no raise was due."
Old 03-13-03, 10:21 AM

Originally posted by madara
LOL only reason to keep it going is so internet geeks have something to look forward to that they can act all shocked about when it does not live up to their expectations and complain about it till end of time like that so true caricacure comic guy on simpsons, "worse season ever"!
Hey, I resemble that remark!
Old 03-13-03, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
HBO had to shut down the production for the Season 5 episodes because Gandolfini was a no show.
Old 03-13-03, 10:52 AM

http://www.nbc4.tv/sh/entertainment/...103132003&ts=H

HBO Suspends 'Sopranos' Filming After Gandolfini Dispute

POSTED: 7:30 a.m. EST March 13, 2003

NEW YORK -- Filming of the HBO drama "The Sopranos" has reportedly been suspended, because of a contract dispute with the show's star, James Gandolfini.

According to the New York Post and the Daily News, network executives have told cast members that work on the fifth season of the show has been postponed indefinitely.

Work had been scheduled to begin on March 24.

Gandolfini -- who earns about $400,000 per episode -- is reportedly seeking close to $1 million an episode. HBO has offered $800,000.

An HBO lawyer told the Daily News that Gandolfini has been offered a "huge raise" -- even though HBO isn't required to give him one.

But a spokesman for Gandolfini said the actor is asking for what he deserves -- and that the show has made HBO an "inordinate amount of money."

Chris
Old 03-13-03, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Gandolfini is now officially on my **** List. He's right that he should get paid a lot of money, but he signed the contract, and he should abide by it. The fact that they offered to double his salary in good faith before this lawsuit even came about makes his case (not legally, but in the public eye) even weaker.

Dear David Caruso,

What do I do now?

Yours,
James Gandolfini
das
Old 03-13-03, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I think Gandolfini believes he's really Tony Soprano giving HBO the shake-down.

They need a well-needed sit-down to clear the terms.

Last edited by Patman; 03-13-03 at 11:55 AM.
Old 03-13-03, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear David Caruso,

What do I do now?

Yours,
James Gandolfini
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That's EXACTLY what I was thinking. As much as I love The Sopranos, Gandolfini is really blowing it. He is making a boatload of money, but because he wants more, he's tarnishing his reputation and losing a lot of fan goodwill.
Sure, he knows it's the last season and he wants to cash in, but it seems like it's all gone to his head and is spiraling out of control.
Caruso thought he was all that because he was on a good show, spent the next 10 years doing a few dreadful movies, and is just now back doing a decent TV show again. I hope Gandolfini gets off that path soon. Plus I want the !@)(#* 5th season!
Old 03-13-03, 11:47 AM
Suspended

Well it was mentioned that a conflict like this is never good even if the series does return. But maybe for a show like the Sopranos where especially where they were heading with Tony in the 5th seson, maybe it'll be good and add realism if they cast resents him.
Old 03-13-03, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i'm curious what the cast feels. they aren't getting close to same same salary, they have to delay work b/c of one greedy member, etc. what good are contracts anymore when you can weasel your way out of any of them!?!

i have a feeling this will blow up in his face!
Old 03-13-03, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I will kill if I don't get Sopranos season 5.......
Old 03-13-03, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They'd better work this out, and quick, or it will go down as one of the biggest scandals in TV history.
Old 03-13-03, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by slop101

Yeah. You're right...lawyers are the only greedy people in the world. It must be the lawyers' fault.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.