Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

American Idol - 3/4/03 - The Wildcards

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-03, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would guess they'll take the audience vote, and then pick three of their own.

Btw, I think Kimberly should change her name to Kymmb'rllye to fit in with everyone else in this competition.

das
Old 03-05-03, 06:54 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I agree that Clay gave the best performance of the night. Indeed, it was the best performance so far on the show this season. The song was a great match, and he went out and nailed it. He went the extra mile to get it right, when in reality he could have "phoned it in" and still made it to the top 12 just from all the exposure alone.
Old 03-05-03, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth Groucho •<HR SIZE=1>I agree that Clay gave the best performance of the night. Indeed, it was the best performance so far on the show this season. The song was a great match, and he went out and nailed it. He went the extra mile to get it right, when in reality he could have "phoned it in" and still made it to the top 12 just from all the exposure alone. <HR SIZE=1>

Clay could have shown up in Huck Finn jeans rolled up above the ankles, a big straw hat, chewing on a stalk of wheat, and broken out with, "if it hadn't been for Cotton Eye Joe, I'd a been married long time ago ... where did you come from, where did you go, where did you come from, Cotton Eye Joe?" and then danced a short jig ... and he still would probably have won from tonight's group.

das
Old 03-05-03, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You have to admit that the previous contestants from the 4 groups had a big advantage in terms of experience over the true wildcards that were "passed" over initially.

As a group, the younger contestants (around 17 years old) just don't have the maturity and composure that the older 22+ year olds have to handle their nerves and perform under the spotlight in this competition.

I do think the judges were a little harsh on Kimberly. But it was like a "wink wink nudge nudge" from them when they said they liked her other performances and would factor that into their decision, while opening the show saying how everyone was starting with a clean slate. Talk about talking out of both sides of their mouths.
Old 03-05-03, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho
I agree that Clay gave the best performance of the night. Indeed, it was the best performance so far on the show this season. The song was a great match, and he went out and nailed it. He went the extra mile to get it right, when in reality he could have "phoned it in" and still made it to the top 12 just from all the exposure alone.
Clay was clearly the best, but SHAME on the producer for that video display behind him while he was singing! DID ANYONE NOTICE THAT? Right before Clay sang, they ran a video clip where he said something about looking like an American Idol and saying "I'll always have these" referring to his oversized ears. When he started singing the video behind him had these huge black cones rotating around like they were coming out of or pointing TO his ears. It was hilarious and horribly distracting. I couldn't believe it!

In any case, the karaoke tracks made this rather lame. On the whole, most of the performances were a waste of time... and FOUR of them will be going on. Ick.
Old 03-05-03, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Clay was the only one that stuck out last night, but I have my doubts about his chance to win the whole thing. Anyone who thinks the karaoke background music wasn't fair to the other contestants has to remember the wildcard contestants already went through that once, so I'm glad they changed it, but there shouldn't be backup vocals in the background music.

Was Clay the first one to use an Elton John song? Through all these competitions it was driving me nuts that nobody was choosing to do any Elton John or even Billy Joel songs. Something everyone is familiar with and goes with piano accompaniment.
Old 03-05-03, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clay was really good, though he looks like a dweeb with the big ears, he has a great voice and confidence. Maybe he can get a singing contract with Disney do perform songs for their animated movies.
Old 03-05-03, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 190 Likes on 163 Posts
How old is Clay? For some reason, he just looks really old to me.
Old 03-05-03, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by ~~ PAL ~~
How old is Clay? For some reason, he just looks really old to me.
I believe he is 24 which is probably the oldest you can be to audition for the show.
Old 03-05-03, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I think his ears are much older than 24.
Old 03-05-03, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Clay #1, Trenyce #2, black guy who sang MJ #3. Can't really think who is deserving of #4.

Use of background music wasn't explained. Odd. Not that it really mattered since you can still tell if they can sing. This lastest batch of singers of AI2 just don't put emotion for the most part. They may as well be singing in their sleep.
Old 03-05-03, 11:56 AM

Originally posted by Roto
Anyone who thinks the karaoke background music wasn't fair to the other contestants has to remember the wildcard contestants already went through that once, so I'm glad they changed it, but there shouldn't be backup vocals in the background music.
What do you mean? Several of the wild cards had not performed in any of the previous shows. Having that background music is probably going to improve your performance at least a little and also help to hide any mistakes. No one else has had that advantage. On another note, I did enjoy it though.

Tonight's episode is a whole hour. Thank god for Tivo.
Old 03-05-03, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I didn't know some of them weren't in the final 32 or however many they had. But regardless, it doesn't matter because they weren't competing with groups from the previous nights.

I think it's funny how Simon keeps saying he thinks this season is going to be better than last season, but it keeps going downhill. Nobody went out and really laid an egg in the wildcard group, but they all pretty much put me to sleep.
Old 03-05-03, 01:06 PM

I didn't even bother voting this time because I figured my top 2 were going to make it (Clay and Treynece) and I couldn't think of anyone I really felt like voting into the other two positions, mostly everybody bored me.
Old 03-05-03, 01:15 PM

Originally posted by Roto
II think it's funny how Simon keeps saying he thinks this season is going to be better than last season, but it keeps going downhill. Nobody went out and really laid an egg in the wildcard group, but they all pretty much put me to sleep.
Depending on who gets in tonight, this season's top 12 are probably better then last seasons top 10.

At least we wont have any contestants named AJ, BJ, CJ, DJ, EJ, ..., RJ, ..., or ZJ.
Old 03-05-03, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
I don't think it matters that they weren't directly competing with groups form the previous nights. In the minds of most people that are watching you do try to compare tem all together. Trenyce for example might get a litte further then she should because some people will think back to last nights performance and think that she's better then she really is.

Not that this will happen I just think they should've kept the whole round on level ground.
Old 03-05-03, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

How would last season's second-tiered group (RJ, Jim, Ryan, Christina, AJ, heck even Nikki) do against my second-tier this season (Charles, "Herculesx3", Corey, Vanessa)? It's pretty much a mosh pit of mediocrity.
Old 03-05-03, 02:17 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Originally posted by Patman
How would last season's second-tiered group (RJ, Jim, Ryan, Christina, AJ, heck even Nikki) do against my second-tier this season (Charles, "Herculesx3", Corey, Vanessa)? It's pretty much a mosh pit of mediocrity.
Last years guys wouldn't have even made the show this year, in particular Jim and AJ who were just horrible. Last years girls would get farther then this years.
Old 03-05-03, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Did Paula Abdul say that Aliceyn had performed the exact same song every time?
Old 03-05-03, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yes, Aliceyn has only sung "Angel" for them.
Old 03-05-03, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Actually, I think it's called "Ehyngelle"

das
Old 03-05-03, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Jadzia
Go Clay!!!!!!!
Ho Ho! I knew it would finally happen! Jadzia and I on the same team! Go Clay!

(And El Scorcho agreed with me on a point about Kobe Bryant....it's a banner day!)
Old 03-05-03, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Adrian
Yeah, Go Clay! I agree, by far, his performance last night is the best of the season. I hope he wins AI 2. I think he will, since a woman won AI 1. But anyway, Ruben Studdard "huge" singing talent is no match to Clay's. It's now a matter of who is the most versatile with pleasing personality and with great singing & staying power.
Wait a minute, weren't Clay and Ruben in the same group the last time? And Clay wasn't in the top two. So what has changed about Clay since then? I agree he will go into the final 12 but I think that one of the original 8 will be the winner.
Old 03-05-03, 04:21 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by WWE Jedi
Wait a minute, weren't Clay and Ruben in the same group the last time? And Clay wasn't in the top two. So what has changed about Clay since then?
I thought Clay improved dramatically between his initial Top 32 performance and the Wildcard show.
Old 03-05-03, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Clay was up against Rueben and Kimberly Locke.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.