Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

24 3/4/03 "10pm-11pm"

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

24 3/4/03 "10pm-11pm"

Old 03-05-03, 05:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great episode....finally one episode where I actually liked Kim's character. Cannot believe we have to wait until the end of March for the next episode.
Old 03-05-03, 05:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
• Quoth Patman •<HR SIZE=1>Now this episode lived up the the "Most Compelling Hour on TV" moniker.<HR SIZE=1>

This is the first time that the show has legitimately lived up to the hype, and for the first time since the show came on the air, I can't really complain about anything. The events were pretty predictable (duh, like Mason wasn't going to bail out Jack), but it was executed extremely well. Unlike last season where each week got progressively more stupid, this season seems to have gotten progressively better. I'm sure they'll ruin the momentum they've built when Kim is kidnapped by the 7th Cobra Kai (who is really Susan Gibney), develops amnesia when bitten by his pet cougar, and decides to have his baby, but at least for now, they are riding at a high point.

Speaking of Gibney, great to see her. She's been all over the airwaves recently, including a pretty good recurring role on Crossing Jordan. Trek babes rule.

das
Old 03-05-03, 06:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
She should have shot him and took his car but that is just mo
Old 03-05-03, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 146 Likes on 101 Posts
I agree with everyone, this was a great episode. Granted the Mason going down with the plane was predictable but it was well executed and the acting was awesome. I am really glad Kim decided to grow a couple brain cells and not get in the car with the guy. But of course now that the momentum is really heating up, we have to wait 3 weeks for a new episode. Man this sucks.
Old 03-05-03, 07:50 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Man, this show has gone downhill...just like Season 1. Even without watching the promos I can predict everything that's going to happen. They need to stop taking themselves so seriously and up the camp anté if they are going to keep going along this route.

I'm surprised everybody's raving about this episode so much. I guess the drama didn't do much for me, since I knew there was no way they'd kill off Jack.
Old 03-05-03, 08:18 AM

I may be wrong, but once the bomb tech said there was 55minutes until the bomb detonated, wasn't it already 10minutes into the show? I thought the bomb wasn't going to blow up until the next episode.
I have it on my replay, so I can double check.

Is Jack far away enough to avoid radiation fall out?
Old 03-05-03, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I think the timing was very conveniently placed to go off at 11 p.m. (to maximize this episode's drama quotient).
Old 03-05-03, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by breaux124
I may be wrong, but once the bomb tech said there was 55minutes until the bomb detonated, wasn't it already 10minutes into the show? I thought the bomb wasn't going to blow up until the next episode.
I have it on my replay, so I can double check.

Is Jack far away enough to avoid radiation fall out?
It was 5 min into the show. They time stamp the next scene to make that clear.

Obivously Jack IS safely outside the blast radius. Since Tony is the only one who knows that Jack is still alive, Jack can now become SUPER convert/undercover guy for the remaining 8 hours.

Originally posted by Patman
I think the timing was very conveniently placed to go off at 11 p.m. (to maximize this episode's drama quotient).
Don't you KNOW about how everything works in the world of 24 yet? EVERYTHING dramatic/important in a cliffhanger sense ALWAYS happens around the last 2 minutes before the top of the hour!

As for the three weeks hiatus, did NO ONE see this coming? The show is scheduled to end May 20th... the last Tuesday before Memorial Day. They had to inject three weeks of alternate programming somewhere (plus no ratings dip due to folks on "Spring Break!). With a cliffhanger like a nuclear bomb going off on American soil, I was expecting this to be the major "entre'acte" for the season. I can't WAIT to see where they go next!

Last edited by rfduncan; 03-05-03 at 09:28 AM.
Old 03-05-03, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jack planning on flying the plane in himself bothered me a lot. There was no suspense in it for me because we all knew Mason was going to get on there and talk him into jumping. I would've preferred if he would've let Mason go in the beginning and have somebody go with him who could bail out at the last minute. I just couldn't buy into the suspense.

On the good side, the bomb actually went off and we have a good setup for the rest of the season and probably next season. With this setup, season 3 actually could be the next day. They have a lot of options.

If they really wanted a Holy S*** moment, Kim should've shot that guy and taken his car. All they would've had to do is make him more aggressive so it would've been clearly self defense. All I could think at that moment was, "If this was The Shield she would've just shot that guy in the head"

My favorite line from 5 minutes into last night's show:
Jack: How much time do we have left?
Bomb Tech: 55 minutes
how convenient!
Old 03-05-03, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 388 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally posted by Roto
My favorite line from 5 minutes into last night's show:
Jack: How much time do we have left?
Bomb Tech: 55 minutes
We all know you're joking. I just changed my .sig line to capture my favorite line.
Old 03-05-03, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I’m all for giving a show as good as this a few breaks. Like how George just happened to find a parachute – along with a helmet, goggles, and a flare – and was able to sneak aboard undetected. And, as someone pointed out, keep from hacking up a lung for a while. But I gotta scream about being able to see the blast from Air Force One…

Great hour of stuff. The Jack/Kim scene got to me, and I had to cheer when Kim shot out Cooter’s window.
Originally posted by mdc3000
notice how he asked Tony what they found...or rather, what he's HOPING they found....
You think maybe the info’s bogus? It would be an interesting twist, but I'm guessing it's legit. That guy’s definitely working for the bad guys, IMO.

So, there’s three countries as yet unnamed. Any guesses what three they are?
Old 03-05-03, 10:18 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Wizdar
I HIGHLY doubt they're going to name any countries due to what's going on in real life right now. That is the same reason that they never actually said where Syed Ali was from.
Old 03-05-03, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That was my first thought. And it’s easy not to name a country where Ali’s concerned, because he’s portrayed as a terrorist and not necessarily representing a country per se.

But, now that there’s mention of actual “countries,” wouldn’t it be hard not to name, say, Slabovia, Dumbistan, and Arkansas without getting cute about it?
Old 03-05-03, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't think you get to be head of CTU without being resourceful.
Old 03-05-03, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth Wizdar •<HR SIZE=1>But, now that there’s mention of actual “countries,” wouldn’t it be hard not to name, say, Slabovia, Dumbistan, and Arkansas without getting cute about it? <HR SIZE=1>

That's what The West Wing does, although not such humorous names.

das
Old 03-05-03, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 146 Likes on 101 Posts
The parashute and goggles thing didn't bother me: they're in an airport. I have no trouble buying that one of the crop dusters sitting in a hanger has all that equipment. And like Patman said, you don't become the head of CTU without being resourceful.
No way are they naming countries with everything that's going down in real life.
And I don't have a problem with them being able to see the blast from Air Force One: they were headed to Los Angeles and had been in the air for awhile so they'd be facing the right direction. I'm guessing a fair number of people noticed the bright light in the sky without knowing what the hell it was.
Old 03-05-03, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, if one does the math, and being generous in favor of the show, if AF1 got off the ground at the beginning of the show, it would be ~2,000 miles away. If one could see the blast from that far away, one would still encounter ~30º of earth curvature. Even at a max altitude of ~45,000’, you’re still looking around a corner, so to speak.

It actually didn’t bother me that much. I’m just sayin’…
Old 03-05-03, 11:43 AM

AF1 was not 2000 miles away. I believe the President was in Oregon already.

BTW, anyone know if the AF1 set is the same one used on The West Wing?
Old 03-05-03, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Palmer was in Oregon.
Old 03-05-03, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Damn!

I forgot my usual tagline: "I could be wrong, and frequently am."

Old 03-05-03, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It was great to see George go out in a blaze of glory. A moment of silence please for the X-Man, we hardly knew ye.

Now we have to wait three weeks?!? Bastards!!!!!

Maybe J. J. Abrams is one of the producers...
Old 03-05-03, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Overnights are in: "24" (FOX) - 9.4/13

Just behind Frasier for third place.

My question is: Can that plane really make it from LA to the desert in, what was it, 40 minutes? Didn't they say 210mph? Would that of even gotten the plane out of CA in 40 minutes?
Old 03-05-03, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Do you really wanna get me started again??
Old 03-05-03, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Looking for time continuity in 24 is as futile as looking for an original concept from Brannon Braga. I wouldn't expend too much effort on it.

das
Old 03-05-03, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by Wizdar
That was the episode's weak link to me--and a problem I'm gonna have with this whole arc.

Tony calls the President and says there's proof that three specific middle east countries paid for the nuke that's just about to blow. The President doesn't even ask what three countries? Who talks like that anyway? The writers were dumb, dumb, dumb not to introduce country names from the top. If you're too timid to use real ones, just establish phony ones. Dancing around specifics makes for bad dialog.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.