TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

A question about M*A*S*H

Old 03-03-03, 09:57 AM
  #1  
DVD Talk Special Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Gilbert, WV USA
Posts: 1,851
A question about M*A*S*H

I know McLean Stevenson/Henry Blake leaves after Season 3, but does anyone know when Wayne Rogers/Trapper John leaves, and when Larry Linville/Frank Burns leaves? Really need to know, and would appreciate any help. Thanks.
anglagard is offline  
Old 03-03-03, 10:04 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Heat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 16,701
McLean Stevenson "left" on February 15, 1996 (after a heart attack at age 66), and Larry Linville on April 10, 2000 (pneumonia due to complications from a cancer operation at age 60).

Wayne Rogers is still healthy.
Heat is offline  
Old 03-03-03, 10:06 AM
  #3  
DVD Talk Hero
 
das Monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 35,881
Wayne Rogers left in the same classic episode as Stevenson, 'Abyssinia, Henry'. Linville hung around until the last episode of the 5th season, 'Margaret's Marriage'.

das
das Monkey is offline  
Old 03-03-03, 10:09 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Special Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Gilbert, WV USA
Posts: 1,851
Thanks, das. That's all I needed to know.
anglagard is offline  
Old 03-03-03, 10:11 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: In the eastern upper lower midwest.
Posts: 632
Originally posted by das Monkey
Wayne Rogers left in the same classic episode as Stevenson, 'Abyssinia, Henry'. Linville hung around until the last episode of the 5th season, 'Margaret's Marriage'.

das
Wayne Rogers was officially written out of the show in the first episode of the 4th season, though you don't see him in the episode. The last episode he appeared in was Abyssinia Henry.
mverleg1 is offline  
Old 03-03-03, 10:12 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Heat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 16,701
If you need any more information, this site has a lot of MASH information:

http://www.mash4077.co.uk/index.php

including a season by season description of the shows:

http://www.mash4077.co.uk/guides.html

Abyssinia, Henry. (last episode of Season 3)
March 18, 1975
Written by Everett Greenbaum and Jim Fritzell
Directed by Larry Gelbart

Guest Stars: Kimiko Hiroshige, Virginia Lee, Cherylene Lee, Ray Poss

A classic! Henry finally gets his discharge. While Henry is tying things up, Burns prepares for his new command. Henry bids a tearful adieu, but not before Klinger turns up in an outrageous tropical outfit (and gets Henry to zip him up) and a kiss to Houlihan. He gives Radar a hug and his last order:You better be good now or I'm gonna come back and kick your butt! In the traumatic and shocking last scene, Radar announces that Henry has been killed when his plane was shot down over the Sea of Japan.

Last edited by Heat; 03-03-03 at 10:15 AM.
Heat is offline  
Old 03-03-03, 11:42 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Posts: 8,467


I hated this episode! Not because it was bad, but because it was .

Why did McLean Stevenson have to leave? I know why, but I still have to ask McLean what he was thinking!
conscience is offline  
Old 03-03-03, 11:43 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Posts: 8,467
Originally posted by Heat
McLean Stevenson "left" on February 15, 1996 (after a heart attack at age 66), and Larry Linville on April 10, 2000 (pneumonia due to complications from a cancer operation at age 60).

Wayne Rogers is still healthy.
I believe you are speaking of the wrong left


conscience is offline  
Old 03-03-03, 01:02 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: IL
Posts: 3,509
Originally posted by conscience
Why did McLean Stevenson have to leave? I know why, but I still have to ask McLean what he was thinking!


McLean Stevenson left because he was succesful as both a guest and a guest host on the TONIGHT show, on NBC. When they offered him a lucrative contract, he decided to leave MASH. However, both his NBC series bombed and they cannceled his contract. He wanted to come back to MASH, but since they killed him off, he couldn't.
Morf is offline  
Old 03-03-03, 01:10 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Heat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 16,701
Why did some of the actors decide to leave the show?

Because of the success of the show McLean Stevenson became a frequent guest and host on the 'Tonight Show" Throughout the run of M*A*S*H he was constantly arguing with the studio about the conditions the actors had to work in so when NBC offered him the chance of a long term contract he decided to leave.

Wayne Rogers wasn't happy with the way his character was developing. Pretty early on it was obvious that Hawkeye was the main character and Trapper was just his sidekick.

Gary Burghoff said that doing the show had become a strain on his family life. After the first 3 years he was in fewer episodes and decided to leave after year 7. He came back in year 8 for a two part good-bye show.
Heat is offline  
Old 03-03-03, 03:00 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Posts: 8,467
Originally posted by Morf


McLean Stevenson left because he was succesful as both a guest and a guest host on the TONIGHT show, on NBC. When they offered him a lucrative contract, he decided to leave MASH. However, both his NBC series bombed and they cannceled his contract. He wanted to come back to MASH, but since they killed him off, he couldn't.


I have always read that he left because he wasn't too fond of the producers and how they treated the cast (ie extreme temeperatures, etc.)

But he would have taken it back in a second.
conscience is offline  
Old 03-03-03, 03:25 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Heat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 16,701
Originally posted by conscience


I have always read that he left because he wasn't too fond of the producers and how they treated the cast (ie extreme temeperatures, etc.)

But he would have taken it back in a second.
Sounds like he wasn't fond of the working conditions, and when he was offered a chance at a long-term contract at NBC he left MASH. Of course, he couldn't go back because the producers had his character killed off.

This quote is from this website: http://www.mash4077.co.uk/index.php

Throughout the run of M*A*S*H he was constantly arguing with the studio about the conditions the actors had to work in so when NBC offered him the chance of a long term contract he decided to leave.
Heat is offline  
Old 03-03-03, 03:25 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Lower Gum Curve
Posts: 18,941
Originally posted by conscience


I have always read that he left because he wasn't too fond of the producers and how they treated the cast (ie extreme temeperatures, etc.)
That's why the producers decided to kill the character off. They wanted to make sure Stevenson didn't come back after he fell flat on his face at NBC.
Jason is offline  
Old 03-04-03, 04:39 AM
  #14  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 2,202
Originally posted by conscience


I hated this episode! Not because it was bad, but because it was .

Why did McLean Stevenson have to leave? I know why, but I still have to ask McLean what he was thinking!

He was offered his own show a few years later..anybody remember "Hello Larry"???..It was on of the worst sicoms ever..

The only good thing about that show was the girl who played his daugther was an actress named Kim Richards (she was soooo hot)..Anybody have a pic to post of her that would be great

Cheers!!
shanester is offline  
Old 03-04-03, 06:39 AM
  #15  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: The War Room
Posts: 1,442
Originally posted by shanester
The only good thing about that show was the girl who played his daugther was an actress named Kim Richards (she was soooo hot).
As much as I adore Kim, she wasn't the only good thing about that show. His other daughter was played by the exquisite Krista Errickson. (She also played the toothy, bratty girl Cinder in Little Darlings.) She was a major babe as well.
Buck Turgidson is offline  
Old 03-04-03, 01:11 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Posts: 8,467
Originally posted by shanester
He was offered his own show a few years later..anybody remember "Hello Larry"???..It was on of the worst sicoms ever..

The only good thing about that show was the girl who played his daugther was an actress named Kim Richards (she was soooo hot)..Anybody have a pic to post of her that would be great

Cheers!!
Hello Larry:

Didn't it come out years after he left. Three maybe.
conscience is offline  
Old 03-04-03, 03:42 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: The War Room
Posts: 1,442
Originally posted by conscience
Hello Larry:

Didn't it come out years after he left.
Yes. It ran in the 1979-80 season.
Buck Turgidson is offline  
Old 03-04-03, 04:32 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Posts: 8,467
The question:

i know that. Why did it take him so long to start a series when he left MASH in 75??
conscience is offline  
Old 03-04-03, 07:46 PM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: NJ
Posts: 409
He also starred in the ill fated McLean Stevenson show which briefly ran in 1976, about 1 year after he left M*A*S*H.
krazykat72 is offline  
Old 03-05-03, 12:30 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Heat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 16,701
Originally posted by shanester
...The only good thing about that show was the girl who played his daugther was an actress named Kim Richards (she was soooo hot)..Anybody have a pic to post of her that would be great

Cheers!!
http://www.yesterdayland.com/images/...ime/pt1059.jpg
http://www.angelfire.com/az/kimjet/ (with ~ 4 popups)
http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet...personid-12343 (has a picture of her recently, with her four children)
Heat is offline  
Old 03-05-03, 07:46 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 2,202
Thanks Heat!!..Much appreciated
shanester is offline  
Old 03-05-03, 11:30 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Jack Straw's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: So. Calif.
Posts: 5,021
Was she the same Kim Richards as on Nanny and the Professor?
Jack Straw is offline  
Old 03-05-03, 11:57 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: The War Room
Posts: 1,442
Originally posted by Jack Straw
Was she the same Kim Richards as on Nanny and the Professor?
Yes. She was also in a bunch of Disney films like Escape To Witch Mountain.

She growed up real good.
Buck Turgidson is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.