DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   What are your favorite modern cartoons / animated shows? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/274781-what-your-favorite-modern-cartoons-animated-shows.html)

Static Cling 02-27-03 07:44 PM

What are your favorite modern cartoons / animated shows?

I haven't really watched cartoons since Batman: The Animated Series. I've been hearing the hype about Invader Zim, and just recently got to watch a few episodes... what a great show! I'm starting to watch Clone High, and I think I'll like it a lot, as well.

This thread is for you to correct the error of my ways! School me (and by doing so, school the entire forum) in your favorite modern (currently running new eps or recently ended) cartoons / animed shows. I've heard good buzz about Aqua Teen Hunger Force and Sealab 2021, too. (Or is it 2012? Anyways.)

[i]Edit: I guess I should clarify. I know about Duckman, the Simpsons, Batman, Superman, etc. What I want to know about is the cartoons that are coming out right now... that are in their first few seasons.

Kudama 02-27-03 08:00 PM

Batman & Robin (3rd season of BTAS) was the most satisfying to me ever. I have been enjoying Reign: The Conquerer.

Creek Rat 02-27-03 08:30 PM

Duckman! Why doesn't anyone else ever remember Duckman.

Nathan Gervais 02-27-03 09:17 PM

Originally posted by Kudama
Batman & Robin (3rd season of BTAS) was the most satisfying to me ever. I have been enjoying Reign: The Conquerer.
the Batman cartoons were great as was the Superman animated series. Favorite for me? Ren & Stimpy or Pinky & the Brain. Can't leave out the first 5 or 6 years of The Simpsons either. Wow, I watch a lot of cartoons.

B.A. 02-27-03 10:13 PM

Originally posted by Nathan Gervais
[i]Pinky & the Brain[/i
Besides the Simpsons, Pinky & the Brain was the last cartoon that I watched regularly. That show was great - "What are we going to do tonight, Brain?...The same thing we do every night, Pinky. Try and take over the world!"

edytwinky 02-28-03 12:47 AM

The only cartoon I watch is The Simpsons

nny 02-28-03 12:56 AM

I don't know if you've tried any anime. Just a couple months ago, I would've said there wasn't any good anime on TV, but Cartoon Network has finally got their act together. They showed Evangelion this week and I don't know when they're going to be showing it again. They also recently started showing .Hack//Sign and Reign. They're also going to be showing Trigun and Rorouni Kenshin soon. These are some of the best animated series ever made. Techtv has also started showing anime.

As for comedy, I've been very disappointed with Adult Swim this season. Last season I thought it was amazing and the first season of Aqua Teen Hunger Force is one of the funniest things I've ever seen. I think they're adding Family Guy to Adult Swim, so that should help.

Comedy Central has been showing random cartoons late at night, but the only one that is really good is Clerks. Also, South Park is still as good as it ever was. They just need more new episodes.

For more convential shows, Cartoon Network is going to start showing Jackie Chan Adventures and X-men Evolution. They also show Justice League and are starting a Teen Titans series later this year. Haven't seen Titans, but I enjoy the other 3.

I just realized that I probably mentioned too many shows and this won't end up being helpful. I've just been so excited by Cartoon Network's press release that came out recently. It almost seems like a preemptive strike against the anime channel.

devilshalo 02-28-03 01:57 AM

X-Men:Evolution
Yu-Gi-Oh - yeah I know it's a kid's show, but I like the storyline and the continuity.
Static Shock
Justice League
Mucha Lucha!
Simpsons

And Jackie Chan Adventures...
well, because I'm in it for an episode :D
http://www.mreembroidery.com/aaron/aau.jpg

costanza187 02-28-03 05:55 AM

Beavis and Butt-Head

Chew 02-28-03 06:14 AM

Originally posted by nny
They also recently started showing .Hack//Sign and Reign. They're also going to be showing Trigun and Rorouni Kenshin soon. These are some of the best animated series ever made.

OK, I've seen .Hack//Sign mentioned several times in a few different posts. What's it about? When's it on? Details please!

Simpson Purist 02-28-03 06:39 AM

Da Simpsons!!!

I also like:
Dexter's Lab
Ed, Edd, and Eddy
Time Squad
Courage the Cowardly Dog
Cow & Chicken

Morf 02-28-03 07:55 AM

Batman Beyond
He-Man and the Masters of the Universe
Futurama
Superman
Batman: The Animated Series
Justice League

Jason 02-28-03 08:01 AM

South Park
Futurama
Harvey Birdman
Sealab 2021
Simpsons

Duckman was cool too.

Red Dog 02-28-03 08:25 AM

South Park
Simpsons (not the recent ones though)
Justice League

Deftones 02-28-03 08:26 AM

The Simpsons
Batman:TAS
Batman Beyond
Superman
South Park
Futurama
Justice League
The early to mid 90's X-men
The mid to late 90's Spiderman

neiname 02-28-03 08:29 AM

Simpsons and South Park...

tasha99 02-28-03 09:04 AM

South Park

HistoryProf 02-28-03 10:11 AM

aside from the obvious South Park and Simpsons....

Spongebob Squarepants is the best thing to come along since Ren & Stimpy and I can't believe i'm the first to mention it....

goLUCKY 02-28-03 04:53 PM

Originally posted by devilshalo
X-Men:Evolution
Yu-Gi-Oh - yeah I know it's a kid's show, but I like the storyline and the continuity.
Static Shock
Justice League
Mucha Lucha!
Simpsons

And Jackie Chan Adventures...

Same here!

Those are the only things that get me to wake up on Saturday morning. ;) I faithfully watch them with my daughter.

Mad Dawg 02-28-03 05:30 PM

I've really gotten a kick out of "3 South" on MTV the few times that I've seen it. It doesn't look like it's coming back on anytime soon, though.

dknight04 03-01-03 12:11 PM

Favorite Modern Animated Shows

Here are my favorites:
The Simpsons
The Family Guy
Batman the Animated Series
Superman the Animated Series
Justice League
Big Guy and Rusty the Boy Robot

Chad 03-01-03 02:46 PM

First of all let's use the correct terminology, which is 'animated series'. ;)

The Simpsons
South Park
Family Guy
Futurama
Duckman
The Critic
Beavis & Butthead
Anything from Adult Swim
Ren & Stimpy
Aeon Flux
Archie's Weird Mysteries :D