DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Sci-Fi Channel "Original movies" question (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/274711-sci-fi-channel-original-movies-question.html)

Scot1458 02-27-03 03:43 PM

Sci-Fi Channel "Original movies" question
 
1) Who the hell watches these things and

2) Who the hell pays money to make these?

I've seen like 10 of them, and they all suck beyond comprenshion. The last one I saw at the guy from HIGHLANDER in it. It sucked soooo bad.

bboisvert 02-27-03 04:01 PM


Originally posted by Scot1458
Who the hell watches these things

...

I've seen like 10 of them...


Well, apparently you do! ;)

Derrich 02-27-03 04:17 PM

'Originals' are actually straight to video releases that SciFi plays a couple of months before they hit the Blockbuster shelves.
The budgets are in the $500,000 - $1 mil range(and thats for a HUGE flick). These flicks will make money at the rental stores anyway so the few bucks that SciFI pays is like extra money and free publicity for the inevitable video release.

One episode of Farscape = 1.5 Do or Dies/Control Factors which they play 4 times.

D

das Monkey 02-27-03 04:32 PM

I don't know why they don't use the time to show more airings of "the mystical wonder" of <B>Braveheart</B>, a true Sci-Fi classic.

das

tasha99 02-27-03 08:33 PM

I actually rented Firestarter 2. I don't know what possessed me (never again)--I ended up watching it on 6x speed because it was so incredibly boring (and long).

tasha

clemente 02-27-03 08:42 PM

I love watching the commercials because they hype them up like they're actually quality flicks and actually contain actors that aren't living paycheck to paycheck and visiting Ralph's on double coupon day!

Wizdar 02-27-03 09:13 PM


Originally posted by das Monkey
I don't know why they don't use the time to show more airings of "the mystical wonder" of <B>Braveheart</B>, a true Sci-Fi classic.
C'mon, das, don't give them any ideas.

Good crap is hard enough to find as it is...

Scot1458 02-27-03 09:50 PM


Originally posted by clemente
I love watching the commercials because they hype them up like they're actually quality flicks and actually contain actors that aren't living paycheck to paycheck and visiting Ralph's on double coupon day!
how true. They actually look pretty good from the ads as well!

I mean, I could make a better movie than most of these...what a waste.

the only halfway decent one was COLD EQUATION, and they still screwed it up.

Derrich 02-28-03 02:20 AM

I've fallen for it a number of times.
-Brave New World(not bad, but the low budget became very obvious)
-Last Man on Earth(Good premise, extremely bad execution)
-Some Bruce Campbell movie in an airport(wow, did that entire movie just take place in 2 rooms?).

Never again.

D

cooper2000 02-28-03 11:45 AM

Sci Fi...Booo Hisss.

Orbi-Wan Techno 03-01-03 07:14 AM

Oh, we've liked a couple of them....

Dean Cain as the Dragon Fighter was a real knee slapper...

(After one character has been killed by the dragon) - "Well, I guess you don't have to worry about him bothering you for a date anymore!"

clemente 03-01-03 04:26 PM


Originally posted by Derrich

-Last Man on Earth(Good premise, extremely bad execution)

Dude, I actually watched this on UPN about four years ago, when UPN had their "really bad movie of the week" on Friday nights.

It's got Julie Bowen.....not so good movie, but Julie Bowen is in it, so it gets a :thumbsup:

Buck Turgidson 03-01-03 10:49 PM


Originally posted by Derrich

-Brave New World(not bad, but the low budget became very obvious)
The one w/ Peter Gallagher and Nimoy? That aired originally on NBC in @ 1998. I recall it being rather good.

mike1977 03-02-03 01:00 AM


Originally posted by Derrich
'Originals' are actually straight to video releases that SciFi plays a couple of months before they hit the Blockbuster shelves.
The budgets are in the $500,000 - $1 mil range(and thats for a HUGE flick). These flicks will make money at the rental stores anyway so the few bucks that SciFI pays is like extra money and free publicity for the inevitable video release.

One episode of Farscape = 1.5 Do or Dies/Control Factors which they play 4 times.

D

I plan to watch most of these movies that I missed sometime even though they are just bad B movies (out of curiousity), but I will rent them on DVD if possible instead of watching it on one of my tapes recorded from Scifi.

Ha ha, looks like Cube 2 and a new release of Cube will be out on DVD next month. Cube 2 is listed on schedulebot to show a few days before the release!

BenCJedi 03-03-03 03:28 PM

I rememeber "Saint Sinner" last fall with William B Davis. They hyped the crap out of it, so my wife and I watched it. Yuck! Any lackluster episode of the X-Files had more shine. Fat-eating demons from a statue. They hardly showed the CSM in any of it either. Total waste...

muggins 03-03-03 08:11 PM


Originally posted by N2DVD
Oh, we've liked a couple of them....

Dean Cain as the Dragon Fighter was a real knee slapper...

(After one character has been killed by the dragon) - "Well, I guess you don't have to worry about him bothering you for a date anymore!"

I thought that movie was actually rather entertaining too....despite the gaping plot holes.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:50 AM.


Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.