Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

What do you think of the way shows are scheduled? (New shows, reruns, sweeps...)

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: What do you think of the way reruns are scheduled?
I like the old way of having a whole season presented before reruns start
75.00%
Mix ‘em up. I don’t like the summer rerun season
12.50%
Couldn’t care less
12.50%
Could care less
0%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

What do you think of the way shows are scheduled? (New shows, reruns, sweeps...)

Old 02-27-03, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

New episode. New episode. Rerun. Rerun. Rerun again. New episode. Buncha reruns.

Used to be, TV ran along a similar schedule that school has. New programs in the fall, a break for Christmas (maybe), and you would get a whole season in before reruns started in the summer.

I’m getting tired of the way, just as a show may be building up momentum, it comes to a screeching halt to throw reruns at us.

And, what good is a “cliffhanger” episode if it gets resolved in a coupla weeks?

But that’s JMO. What’s yours?

Last edited by Wizdar; 02-27-03 at 08:32 AM.
Old 02-27-03, 09:27 AM

agreed
Old 02-27-03, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk God

I like some downtime. With Replay-TV, I have a lot shows saved that I can use the repeat windows to catch up on. Plus I love that repeats occur in March since I am a college baskeball junkie - it allows me to watch all the conference tournaments and March Madness w/o really missing any programs that I like. 2-4 weeks of repeats are fine.

However, I really hate 6 weeks of off-the-air and repeats (not including summer) for relatively new shows like what has happened with Boomtown and what happened with Philly last year. It ends up killing these shows.

Last edited by Red Dog; 02-27-03 at 09:35 AM.
Old 02-27-03, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess it's better than the schedule South Park keeps:

new episode, 6 months of reruns, new episode, etc.
Old 02-27-03, 11:35 AM

I think it really blows. It's gonna be one of the serious downfalls of network television if they are not careful. With the big cable Nets rotating shows through six week seasons and keeping us in a constantly fresh cycle it would be pretty easy to give up on them. I think the obvious argument is Buffy/Angel. The issue is under even more scrutiny while watching the DVD releases and realizing how distracting it is to have to wait so long between episodes as opposed to riding the onslaught of story every week. I mean, you forget where you left off and you lost any emotion the last episode had and it's hard to get back into the mindset of "Okay, here we go again!". Instead it's like, "Finaly, a new episode.... oh wait, why do I care again?".
Old 02-27-03, 11:53 AM

While people prefer to have episodes of a show presented without reruns, like The Sopranos or The Shield, the reality is that the network TV season is about 35 weeks long, and most dramas only have 22 episodes per season.

With the current constraints, I think this season the WB has the best format, airing a chunk of episodes consecutively, then taking a long hiatus. Example: Smallville opened the season with 10 consecutive episodes, was in reruns for nearly two months, aired 7 consecutive episodes, and now won't return until April 15th, when the final 6 episodes will air. I think all of their dramas follow this basic format. While it's no fun having hiatuses, I think the mini-season idea is a lot more cohesive.

Example of what not to do: air episodes of Buffy on 1/7, 1/21, and 2/4. Talk about momentum-killer.
Old 02-27-03, 12:07 PM

Yeah, but they use to do it, in the long long ago; in the before time....

Shows, as was already stated, had a fall season which ended around Christmas break and then came back until school ended and had just enough weeks, like the predominant Spring Break holiday or a presidential address and such, to slip in an occasional rerun to lengthen the season. It never felt like waiting until recently.

I think another subtle difference is the way they write shows now. It's all more based on arc than ever which leaves you with more cliff-hangers. Use to be that, even amidst a story arc, an episode stood alone and the overlying arc was a background piece until the last 4-5 episodes when they would focus on it soley. Again, Buffy, prime example. First few seasons did this beautifully. Almost every episode stood on it's own. A "filler" episode was non-such because it was it's own entity. The way they write it now, each episode deals directly with the arc and it's been few and far between that a TV arc is enough material to carry 22 eps.
Old 02-27-03, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

…in the before time…

Back around ’89 (I think) there was a [writers?] strike that shortened the “season” by a few episodes. Prior to that, there were usually 26 episodes to make a season. Which, if you do the math…

Now that 22 eps/season is the norm, this leaves 8 weeks to fill. You could slip in something occasionally, but that’s a lot of weeks to fill.

I think if anyone’s keeping track, you’ll find that some eps are actually rerun twice by slipping in early reruns and then doing them again later.

What sucks is the obvious conspiracy where everybody is going into short rerun sessions at the same time. If it weren’t a conspiracy, then some nets would show some cohones and air new eps during the time when others are doing reruns.
Old 02-27-03, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

A lot of the problem is Sweeps, which is such a horseshit situation to begin with, and thankfully Nielsen is starting to make plans to get rid of it.

Reality TV is also a problem, because you can rarely fill more than 13 eps with a show (often much shorter), and it's very difficult to keep reality momentum going when there are reruns. With so many of these damn shows everywhere, the whole TV landscape has to adapt, since the networks try to schedule themselves against each other (in a loose conspiracy as you've said). All these short-season shows are leaving gaps in programming which tempts the networks to commission real shows in smaller chunks to give themselves the freedom to play musical chairs with everything every few months. They're so busy "testing the waters" that nothing sticks around anymore, and they're constantly yanking one show for a month or two to see how some other show might work in that spot.

Yeah, I miss the days when you could count on consistent programming for most shows. I do like how the new environment allows me to check out some other programs during the long rerun stretches, but I'd rather have it the other way. I also enjoyed the break we got over the summer. But the Birth-givers are gone, and we better prepare to sacrifice someone to the Provider tonight at Carousel.

das

Last edited by das Monkey; 02-27-03 at 12:37 PM.
Old 02-27-03, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Network TV is about 2% of my viewing so I really don't care what they do.
Old 02-27-03, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Carousel? I like what it implies, but I’m all for a more proactive role, as in:

Festival! Festival!

If program directors were around in Shakespeare’s days, maybe he would have a kinder word for lawyers?
Old 02-27-03, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Festival, eh? Landru vs. Elway ... I like it.

das