Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
"Ed" to move to Friday night starting in March

Looks like all but a done deal.

http://www.stuckeyville.com/communit...p?Thread=11112
Old 02-24-03, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
What is going on Wednesdays at 8?

I was worried that American Dreams was going to get moved there.
Old 02-24-03, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This show has always felt like a poor SportsNight imitation (long before Frankie), but it's still pretty enjoyable. I hope the Friday move isn't a Graveyard move. I also wonder if there's not a switchero planned with Mr. Sterling? Ed really doesn't fit well for me on Wednesdays, and Mr. Sterling is an odd choice for Fridays. Of course, I don't think of Ed as a Friday show either; it's more a Monday or Tuesday show.

das
Old 02-24-03, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Mr. Sterling before West Wing makes some amount of sense I suppose.
Old 02-24-03, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk God

I saw that NBC link - pretty funny - when did they change the name of 'Saturday' to 'Law & Order?'
Old 02-24-03, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like the idea, because I was really not watching Ed any more on wednesdays because I watch other things.

Now I can watch Mister Sterling and then Ed. Hopefully this works out for NBC.
Old 02-24-03, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth Red Dog •<HR SIZE=1>Mr. Sterling before West Wing makes some amount of sense I suppose. <HR SIZE=1>

Except it may be like different shades of the same color clashing. I enjoy it, but it's just different enough from The West Wing in tone and presentation to make an odd fit.

Heh ... it's like 6 Degrees of SportsNight in here (without needing 6 degrees). Ed wants to be SportsNight; The West Wing is SportsNight, and Snuffy keeps reusing SportsNight music all over the place in Mister Sterling.

das
Old 02-24-03, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i have a reeaaaallllllyyy bad feeling about this. i hope that nbc hasn't given up on stuckeyville.
Old 02-24-03, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by das Monkey

Heh ... it's like 6 Degrees of SportsNight in here (without needing 6 degrees). Ed wants to be SportsNight; The West Wing is SportsNight, and Snuffy keeps reusing SportsNight music all over the place in Mister Sterling.

das
I should check that out. I haven't seen a minute of it but I love the SN soundtrack.
Old 02-24-03, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I really want to believe that NBC is doing this with the hope that ED will be able to win its time-period and, therefore, earn another year. But after Freaks and Geeks, I'm not confident in NBC to renew the show even if it does well on Friday.

Still, it does have the "family" thing going for it. I've never really noticed it myself, but I've read that the show does really well with younger parents who watch the show with their kids. Hopefully, that kind of appeal will also help everyone get together and watch on Friday.

I also believe that Letterman would make a strong appeal to CBS to bring the show over to their network. They passed on it and he was none too pleased. I think they could just re-name it: CSI:Stuckeyville and it would jump to the top of the ratings.

I hope three years isn't the end. I'd like to see the show go at least 5 years and, honestly, with the X-Files gone and Buffy soon to go, this has been too traumatic. My wife and I are actually starting to read.
Old 02-24-03, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by kevin75
i have a reeaaaallllllyyy bad feeling about this. i hope that nbc hasn't given up on stuckeyville.
You and me both. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I really hope this is a effort to improve ratings for "Ed" and not just dumping it there until they can cancel it after this season ends.

Maybe the NBC executives need a grape sandwich. With cream cheese, of course.

Honk!
Old 02-24-03, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Damn. Friday is not a nice place to be....and certainly not a nice place to be moved too halfway through the season. I don't see this ending well for Ed.

Up against Farscape too....damn.
Old 02-24-03, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Friday is a death sentence. Good shows on Friday get moved to other nights. Shows getting moved INTO Friday is a definite bad sign.
Old 02-24-03, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Networks aren't supposed to move shows to Friday until they have been on the air for seven or eight years and are in serious state of decline. Ed is neither. It's not even three complete seasons old and during the last few weeks, it has been in top form, imo. Why, oh why, must they sentence this show to death row?
Old 02-24-03, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
That sucks big time....i like Ed quite a lot, but will never be able to see it on Fridays, nor will many of its viewers i would think. I'm rarely home on Friday nights, and if i am its with company so we aren't watching TV anyway. I hope they aren't pushing this out, because it's an awfully good tv show. and i'm looking forward to see how the story line goes with the big fella that had the gastro bypass.
Old 02-25-03, 08:40 AM
Cool New Member

this is utterly depressing. my fav show, ever, moving to the graveyard timeslot. maybe ED will be the first show to prove that wrong.
Old 02-25-03, 08:45 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Well, hopefully it can pull in the ratings that SVU currently is or what Providence did.
Old 02-25-03, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
Part of me really thinks this is a bad idea. So now Ed is going to be the lead-in for Law & Order:SVU? Now there's a combination. Granted, I'm at home Friday nights anyway so I'll still be watching but moving shows to the death slots never bode well.
Old 02-25-03, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Boooo!!!
Old 02-25-03, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Let's see, how can I illustrate this properly?

Old 02-25-03, 12:12 PM

Something I read about this morning! Below is from the TVBarn website (http://www.tvbarn.com/archives/009181.html) explaining a theory behind the move.

"Ed's" Friday manuever
A sharp-eyed reader noticed that in March, NBC's schedule shows the dramedy "Ed" being shuffled off to Fridays in the post-"Talented Kid" slot. An NBC spokeswoman confirmed on Sunday that the show is moving for three weeks to 9 p.m. Fridays beginning March 21.

Does this have something to do with "Ed's" ratings? Yes and no. On Feb. 12 "Ed" finished 53rd in the prime-time Nielsen ratings with a 6.5 rating, setting the stage for "The West Wing" to draw its smallest audience ever at 9 p.m. But as reader Ryan Craig reminds us, NBC also moved "Ed" to Friday briefly last year to protect the show's rating. The occasion each time? CBS' presentation of the NCAA men's basketball tournament on Thursday and Friday nights -- which bumped "Survivor" to 8 p.m. Wednesdays, opposite "Ed."
posted by Aaron Barnhart February 23, 2003 03:29 PM
Old 02-25-03, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 809 Likes on 598 Posts
I don't ever remember Ed being on Friday and I have watched every show it has been on Sundays, Wednesdays, a Monday, and a Tuesday.
Old 02-25-03, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Friday is an all or nothing night in TV Land. I don't think Ed has a huge following as it is. Moving to Friday will probably kill it like it has so many other shows. Especially since it's NBC. They had Miami Vice, right? I don't think anything else on Fridays since has stuck around long for them.
Old 02-25-03, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by lwhy?
I don't ever remember Ed being on Friday and I have watched every show it has been on Sundays, Wednesdays, a Monday, and a Tuesday.
my thoughts exactly. seems to me that last year during the ncaa tourney they just didn't show ed, and not a move to fridays.
Old 02-25-03, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Aren't tourney games on Thursday thru Sunday?

If I remember correctly, CBS moved Survivor to Wednesday during tourney time, so it would be Ed vs. Survivor...and I'm no psychic but I see the winner clearly.

However, its not as simple as that, becauser Sterling is being moved to Wednesday, its a switch and Sterling before West Wing sorta makes sense, so I don't see this switch ever reversing itself.

And Ed was moved last year, that I do remember.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.