Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO) - Series Discussion Thread

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO) - Series Discussion Thread

Old 05-09-19, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,168 Likes on 4,198 Posts
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO) - Series Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
Was that during overtime? I don't recall Moby making any comments/jokes about abortion.
35:00 Moby : "Then again, I don't like humans very much so like maybe you should keep eating bacon and burgers and destroy yourselves and get obese.."
Bill : "Okay I think you took that one Subway stop too far"

41:17 Bill (referring to Trump's lie about doctors and mothers deciding whether to kill a newborn baby) "Because that's what Democrats are for - Let's make killing babies safe, effective, legal and common"
Moby : "Then again, based on a conversion with young people - maybe there should be a compelling case for post-natal abortion. I'm saying up to like the 80th trimester"
Bakari Sellers "No. We know who is NOT doing the Democratic messaging."
Old 05-10-19, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,189 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Oh yeah, now I remember him saying that, thanks.
Old 09-08-19, 12:06 AM

Bill will probably get a lot of Twitter blow back for this one. He's not wrong though.

Old 09-08-19, 02:20 AM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Fantastic thought.
Old 09-08-19, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yup, we're different species now.
Old 09-08-19, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

No, he's absolutely on point with that one.

I could definitely eat better than I do - but I temper my (sometimes) shitty eating with a lot of vigorous exercise.
Old 09-08-19, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

And how many do "a lot of vigorous exercise" like you?
My guess is not many.
Otherwise, we wouldn't have so many obese people out there.
Old 09-08-19, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,094 Likes on 791 Posts

Watched this today and then (coincidentally) read a 25th anniversary of FRIENDS article about how "Fat Monica" was inappropriate fat-shaming and a "problematic" aspect of a beloved show.
Old 09-09-19, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

In the beginning of that video, Bill says we shouldn't give fat people a hard time, and then proceeds to encourage and engage himself in fat shaming. (BTW, fat shaming doesn't help people lose weight. That's a fact.)
Old 09-09-19, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by PatD
In the beginning of that video, Bill says we shouldn't give fat people a hard time, and then proceeds to encourage and engage himself in fat shaming. (BTW, fat shaming doesn't help people lose weight. That's a fact.)
Maher is a douchebag at times. He criticizes one extreme and then goes in the direction of another. Body-posivity types may view any criticism of fat/obesity as fat shaming, but then you have Maher saying “fat shaming” should come back, as if there’s no middle ground.
Old 09-09-19, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I have to agree with him on this. Every time I'm out in public and take a look around at other people I can't help but think "What the fuck is happening to people?" Too much of a sedentary lifestyle and eating crappy processed foods, and not enough people have the guts to say "A person shouldn't look like this". Sure there will always be exceptions for folks that have medical conditions, there always have been some obese people in the world, but what we have now is an epidemic. I have a few acquaintances that are frighteningly obese to the point where I'm just waiting for them to die, and people act like it's normal for them to look like that.
Old 09-09-19, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by cultshock
Too much of a sedentary lifestyle and eating crappy processed foods
That's about it.
The fuel going into the tank is not being burned fast enough to stay a healthy weight.
It really is that simple.
Old 09-09-19, 04:30 PM

Let me tell you, I'm on the front lines of this battle. I see kids so ridiculously morbidly obese, it's shocking. 50 lb 2 year olds, 100 lb 4 yr olds. Ten year olds over 200. It's really bad. Some have obese parents and some just have parents too scared to ever tell their kids "No" as if the kid would waste away if he didn't get another soda or helping of dinner. It's no great mystery as to how they got so big, but more often than not the parents just don't want to hear it. It breaks my heart because these kids don't stand a chance. They're not going to drop 40 lbs at age 9 or 12. They just dig themselves a deeper and deeper hole to climb out of when they get that overweight.
We shame mothers who let their kids cry in the store because they aren't getting whatever they want. We should praise those mothers - they're doing their job as parents. You have to make the tough choices for your kid no matter how much you love to just see them happy. It's these always-indulging ones that are doing their child a disservice. Those are the kids who will struggle the rest of their lives.
Old 09-09-19, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
We shame mothers who let their kids cry in the store because they aren't getting whatever they want.
I’ve never heard of this unless it was in a place like a restaurant or theater. If your kid is screaming and yelling and causing s scene, take them outside or back home.

We should praise those mothers - they're doing their job as parents. You have to make the tough choices for your kid no matter how much you love to just see them happy.
In general I agree. But parents these days want to be a friend and give their kids the indulgences they wanted but couldn’t have.

Not to mention that it seems as if many parents are spreading themselves thin when it comes to raising kids. Both parents work, and free time is limited so meals through the drive thru and the TV/iPhone babysitting the kids alleviates that problem.

Whats crazy is that soda has become the go-to drink for most meals. Pretty unhealthy.

Old 09-09-19, 06:41 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

he isn’t, but poverty does play into what you can eat, as someone that is disabled unable to work I know good food including veggies costs, many people have to shop where it’s cheapest with usually the crappiest food.
Old 09-09-19, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by brayzie

I’ve never heard of this unless it was in a place like a restaurant or theater. If your kid is screaming and yelling and causing s scene, take them outside or back home.
You would THINK parents would, but I rarely see it these days.
They just let the scream and carry on...even in frickin' movie theaters.

Not to mention that it seems as if many parents are spreading themselves thin when it comes to raising kids.
Then they SHOULDN'T have had fucking kids then!
Originally Posted by Dscarpad
he isn’t, but poverty does play into what you can eat, as someone that is disabled unable to work I know good food including veggies costs, many people have to shop where it’s cheapest with usually the crappiest food.
Fast Food isn't exactly "cheap" these days...
Old 09-10-19, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by melasnus
Fast Food isn't exactly "cheap" these days...
Also, plenty of food labeled "healthy" or traditionally considered healthy are crap these days too.
Old 09-11-19, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie

Maher is a douchebag at times.
I agree with everything but the "at times" part. He used to make relevant points, now he's just bitching to bitch about stuff - he's been replaced by the smarter and funnier John Oliver on Sundays and is just trying to hang on until he retires.
Old 09-11-19, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I agree with everything but the "at times" part. He used to make relevant points, now he's just bitching to bitch about stuff - he's been replaced by the smarter and funnier John Oliver on Sundays and is just trying to hang on until he retires.
I disagree as Maher is the only Late Night host who doesn't preach to the choir. He was the ONLY liberal host (along with Michael Moore) to predict that Trump would win. In fact, I remember him getting laughed at by the audience in the summer of 2016 when he said that Trump had a real shot at beating Hillary. Every other late night host (including John Oliver) plays right to the crowd and just feeds them the red meat they crave, while Maher is the only one who calls out the Dems when it's not popular (he takes alot of crap for calling out the Muslim extremists in the Middle East as Rep Tlaib told everyone to boycott his show). I'm a Trump guy but I enjoy Maher's show as his Trump jokes are actually funny (unlike Colbert, Kimmel and other liberal mouthpieces whose jokes are so predictable).
Old 09-11-19, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As mentioned by some posters above, families with both parents working (or a working, single parent) and so many families with a low income play a big part in this, processed crap food is cheaper and faster, which is important to folks who are in those situations. And as Decker mentioned, seeing so many obese children these days is heartbreaking, many of them will probably never get a chance to get to a healthy weight, and early deaths will certainly be possible. Very sad.
Old 09-12-19, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Maher's Overtime will be back on YouTube tomorrow night.
Old 09-15-19, 03:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

And a response:

Old 09-15-19, 11:17 PM

Received 1,894 Likes on 1,118 Posts

Yeah, I thought Bill had some good thoughts here and there but lost points for oversimplifying and basically saying use bullying and that will do the trick. And James Corden gets most of it right, though. Somewhere in the midst of both of them is the truth.
Old 09-16-19, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,094 Likes on 791 Posts

Originally Posted by story
Yeah, I thought Bill had some good thoughts here and there but lost points for oversimplifying and basically saying use bullying and that will do the trick. And James Corden gets most of it right, though. Somewhere in the midst of both of them is the truth.
To serve their own agenda, people like Corden are misrepresenting what Maher was saying by focusing on his punchlines instead of his points.
Maher is not actually advocating for bullying. He is calling for a rejection of across-the-board body positivity.
He is saying that in the name of political correctness, our society has twisted itself into refusing to admit that being fat is bad. Not bad like morally wrong, but bad like it makes you sick.
Corden and his ilk want to make out that Maher is calling obesity an aesthetic crisis, but Maher is saying it is a medical crisis.

It is still legal to smoke, but the difference between now and 50 years ago is a complete 180. Not everybody smoked in the past, but the people who did smoked everywhere and all the time.
Now the official position of society is that you have the legal right to smoke, but don't expect anyone else to tolerate you doing it near them.
Basically the idea is that you can smoke, but you also have to be ashamed of yourself for doing it.

Maher is calling for the same attitude about obesity. Stop making allowances and providing accommodations for people because they have made a choice to fuck up their bodies.
Refusing to call all life choices equally valid is not bullying.
Old 09-16-19, 08:17 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts

One theory I've heard is that, for millions of years, humans couldn't get enough calories and we are hard-wired to eat and stock up as much as can when we can. For a very short time (compared to our history) some parts of the world have had nearly unlimited access to food, and we haven't evolved to naturally limit intake - it's an effort to restrict our instinct to eat as much as we can while we can so that we can survive the winter when we historically would not have much to eat.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.