Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO) - Series Discussion Thread

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO) - Series Discussion Thread

Old 01-28-19, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO) - Series Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by rw2516
I'd wager that 90% of the population wouldn't know Stan Lee from his name. Show them his picture and, "Oh yeah. That old guy in the superhero movies." Stan was a well known figure in comics, which is a sub culture. Comics are like a secret club and those who read them are in on the secret.
As huge as Game of Thrones is, less than 1% of the population knew the books existed and had ever read one. Those who had been reading them before the tv series were in on something that everybody else was left out on. Comics are like that.
Originally Posted by rw2516
Yes the comics and characters are more widely known, but that doesn't mean they are as important to the general public as they are to the sub culture.
If a single guy had invented Trix, Alpha-Bits, Cocoa Puffs, Captain Crunch, Fruit Loops and Lucky Charms and died today, people would think about it minute and then never think about it again. That's what comics mean to the general population. It is in error to apply Stan's importance to the sub culture to the entire population.
Maher is wrong in not recognizing Stan's importance to the subculture, and right in that most people don't give a shit.
You nailed it.
Old 02-08-19, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 154 Posts

At a certain point I just had to mute all of Jack Kingston's filibustering. Too bad because I like Malcolm and Natasha.
Old 02-09-19, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Stan had been appearing in the Marvel films for close to the last two decades. People awaited his cameos. He definitely had notoriety and I'm fairly certain a lot of people, including casual viewers started to notice him and caught on to who he was eventually.
No, fans awaited them. And you're wrong. Casual viewers in no way started to notice him, they just didn't. Go out an ask them yourself. You are projecting.
rw2516 really hit the nail on the head.
Old 02-09-19, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunde
No, fans awaited them. And you're wrong. Casual viewers in no way started to notice him, they just didn't. Go out an ask them yourself. You are projecting.
rw2516 really hit the nail on the head.
I’m not projecting anything. I know people who are more casual type viewers who recognized Stan and after seeing multiple Marvel films started to recognize him and expected him to pop up. I’m sure if my circle of people who aren’t big comic fans recognized him that there are more out there. Even in the theaters or whatever when he’d pop up for his cameo he pretty much always got a reaction of some sort.
Old 02-09-19, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by mwbmis
At a certain point I just had to mute all of Jack Kingston's filibustering. Too bad because I like Malcolm and Natasha.
I don't know who I hate as a guest more: Jack Kingston or Stephen Moore.
Old 02-09-19, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 945 Likes on 719 Posts

Originally Posted by JTH182
For me it's Kathy Griffin or Cornel West. Griffin almost had me turn the show off once.

I lean heavily left, so that's telling you something.
Old 02-10-19, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts

Originally Posted by mwbmis
At a certain point I just had to mute all of Jack Kingston's filibustering.
That dude is the ugliest cheerleader I’ve ever seen.

Old 02-11-19, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by JTH182
Those guys are the worst of the right's hacks...pure pond scum.
Absolutely no evidence to back up their claims.
Their willingness to mislead and outright lie are some of the worst examples of what's wrong with politics today.
I would pay good money for an opportunity to spend some time alone with them...
Originally Posted by Paff
For me it's Kathy Griffin or Cornel West.
They are annoying.
Both have a habit of trying to take over the show (particularly West).
Old 03-09-19, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 999 Likes on 619 Posts

Ugh. Matt Schlapp was the opening guest this week. When I heard that, I almost turned it off in disgust. As usual, when Bill pointed out any of the many, many, reasons Trump should not be President, Schlapp was the king of whataboutism. "But Obama... but Hillary..." Fuck Matt Schlapp.

The rest of the show was okay. Steele's evaluation of the current state of the 2020 presidential race was depressingly believable.

Mary Katherine Ham looked like she was dressed to go out clubbing after the show. Could that dress have been any tighter?

The 'Trump CPAC Speech Album' bit was funny. What a fucking depraved moron we have for a President.
Old 03-09-19, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I like it when Bill has on conservatives because it gives him the chance to call them on their hypocrisy and bullshit and affords them the opportunity to respond and answer for themselves. They won't get challenged like that anywhere else.
Old 03-10-19, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,066 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by Cellar Door

Mary Katherine Ham looked like she was dressed to go out clubbing after the show. Could that dress have been any tighter?
She is freaking hot. I always stop on CNN if I see her when flipping channels.
Old 03-10-19, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ugh. Matt Schlapp was the opening guest this week. When I heard that, I almost turned it off in disgust. As usual, when Bill pointed out any of the many, many, reasons Trump should not be President, Schlapp was the king of whataboutism. "But Obama... but Hillary..."
Noticed that.

Steele's evaluation of the current state of the 2020 presidential race was depressingly believable.
I think there is some truth to what he is saying, unfortunately.

She didn't say much all night.

The 'Trump CPAC Speech Album' bit was funny. What a fucking depraved moron we have for a President.
And STILL millions support him...
Of course, the case could be made there are millions of "depraved morons" out there too...
Originally Posted by Jack Straw
I like it when Bill has on conservatives because it gives him the chance to call them on their hypocrisy and bullshit and affords them the opportunity to respond and answer for themselves. They won't get challenged like that anywhere else.
Which is why so few are willing to go on his show.
Old 03-10-19, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,095 Likes on 792 Posts

Jim Jordan was on Meet the Press last week, and he clearly articulated the GOP position on Trump: they don't give a shit about the scandals and lies as long as Trump is pushing their far right wing agenda, especially with court appointments, and this is what Matt Schlap had to say as well. I also heard a GOPer on some news show voicing the same thing this week.

Trump famously said he could kill someone and get away with it, and that is not far from hyperbole, as far as the GOP is concerned.

As long as Trump is pro-White, pro-rich, anti-regulation, and anti-abortion, the GOP is all good.
Old 03-11-19, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
Jim Jordan was on Meet the Press last week, and he clearly articulated the GOP position on Trump: they don't give a shit about the scandals and lies as long as Trump is pushing their far right wing agenda, especially with court appointments, and this is what Matt Schlap had to say as well. I also heard a GOPer on some news show voicing the same thing this week.
Proves which side ISN'T moral...
Old 03-15-19, 08:25 PM

Received 4,557 Likes on 3,092 Posts

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Old 03-16-19, 05:47 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Bill is so out of touch. The whole panel took him to task for most of the discussion segment.
Old 03-16-19, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I disagree with Bill about the Democratic primary debates/Fox News issue. You don't legitimize what has become a propaganda outlet for the hard right-wingers by giving them an important platform like that. The hardcore Fox News viewers who would only be exposed to the Dems in such a way are probably incapable of being persuaded to listen to reason. Anyone who is actually open to hearing the Dems arguments should have no problems finding their debates on other channels. Bill often criticizes the Dems for being too weak and not playing hardball like the Pubs do. Telling Fox News to fuck off is a sign, I think, that the Dems have a spine.

Some will say that Fox has respectable news people like Chris Wallace and Bret Baier and Shep Smith. So out of the dozens of regulars on Fox every day, you can name three or four who aren't totally in the pocket of the Republican party. Fuck that. Let Fox News get rid of the nutjobs like Hannity, Carlson, and Pirro if they want to be taken seriously by 'the other side'.
Old 03-17-19, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Fox News is bad, but so are CNN and MSNBC. To think otherwise is living in a bubble. So if either CNN or MSNBC are hosting Democratic debates, then Fox News should be allow to as well. And all 3 should likewise be allowed to host Republican debates.
Old 03-17-19, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac
Fox News is bad, but so are CNN and MSNBC.
Right, CNN and MSNBC are just as bad as Fox. Stupidest thing I've read all day.
Old 03-17-19, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dhmac
Fox News is bad, but so are CNN and MSNBC. To think otherwise is living in a bubble.
It's not the same, dude, not at all.

MSNBC has a left bias, sure, but they will usually report on and call out Democrats who do or say bad things. MSNBC may be 'friendly' toward Dems, but I don't see any evidence that, say, Maddow or Matthews is directly influencing the policies of the party.

CNN is cynical in that they seem only to care about ratings, even if that means bringing on the air personalities that repeatedly lie and obfuscate. CNN will chase and air whatever stories they thing will bring the most eyeballs. They will go for 'salacious' over 'substantial' any day. So, yeah, fuck CNN for being without a moral compass at all.

FOX News, however, puts on the air a bunch of science-denying, race-baiting nutjobs who lie and spin furiously to benefit the Republican Party and to demonize anyone who disagrees with them. And we've seen that people like Hannity and Pirro (who are both pretty unhinged) have a direct effect on Trump's mindset. FOX News is more than just 'friendly' toward the Republican Party, they are licking its asshole and screaming to the world that this shit tastes good.
Old 03-18-19, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's a tough call: engage or not.
Can Fox viewers be open to science, logic, and rational reasoning?
I dunno...my gut reaction is only a few would be.

What to do?
IMO, we have reached a place of No Return.
IOW, it's time for a divorce.
Get out the maps and the Cartographers and get it done.
Old 03-18-19, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I

FOX News, however, puts on the air a bunch of science-denying, race-baiting nutjobs who lie and spin furiously to benefit the Republican Party and to demonize anyone who disagrees with them. And we've seen that people like Hannity and Pirro (who are both pretty unhinged) have a direct effect on Trump's mindset. FOX News is more than just 'friendly' toward the Republican Party, they are licking its asshole and screaming to the world that this shit tastes good.
MSNBC employs Al Sharpton, one of the biggest race baiters on the left (remember Tawana Brawley incident?). MSNBC also employs Joy Reid whose old blogs are Anti-LGBT (this happened twice in the past year), so there are bomb throwers on both sides. Let's be honest, Cable TV is a broken product these days that plays to the partisan sheep, as I don't take CNN, MSNBC, or FoxNews seriously. In fact the whole media is a joke anymore (left and right), as there are a select few people I follow from the left and right that truly give an objective opinion (the rest are in the tank for Trump or the Democrats) It is a cause/effect of so many channels and options (the rise of the internet/the death of the newspaper) so nobody plays to the masses anymore, as you just need to get that small/niche demo every day/night.
Old 03-30-19, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Damn Bill, sometimes you just have to know when to lay off the religion stuff. Mayor Pete is a rising star, but as soon as he mentions he wants to be inclusive of all people, even ones of faith, you jump all over him! Isn't Bill one of the people that say just how bad a purity test is for candidates?
Old 03-30-19, 05:45 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Bill is still a bigoted, out of touch dick.

He called himself "middle-class" this episode. This is the guy who donated 1mil to Obama's re-election campaign in 2012.
Old 03-30-19, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I read on Twitter that MSNBC has been telling their pundits to skip Maher's show after his House-N**** comment last year. Is this true?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.