Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO) - Series Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-17, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO) - Series Discussion Thread

Maher dropped the n-word tonight, during a dumb joke/retort. Seems like it's already getting backlash. What an idiot.
Old 06-03-17, 01:56 AM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

Old 06-03-17, 06:10 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

I didn't see an issue with the joke. But as soon as he said it I knew people were going to try and make a big deal and get him fired.
Old 06-03-17, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

And it'll be protested by a lot of people, that don't subscribe to HBO.
Old 06-03-17, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
I didn't see an issue with the joke. But as soon as he said it I knew people were going to try and make a big deal and get him fired.
What's ironic about the 'N' word is that the reason everyone gets up in a tizzy when it is said by white comics is because it's become taboo despite the context Maher was using it last night. Heck I'm afraid to spell it in this post.

Obviously the word is awful when you use it directed at someone, but Maher wasn't using it in that context, yet I'm sure he will get crap from it, mostly from Liberals.
Old 06-03-17, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CNN - Bill Maher uses racial slur during 'Real Time' interview

Deadline - Bill Maher Tells Democrats To Embrace The “T” Word, Also Says “N” Word

The conversation took a turn so quickly.

The two were discussing teenagers and maturity when Maher mentioned that adults dress up for Halloween in California. He then asked Sasse if people do that in Nebraska.
"It's frowned upon. We don't do that quite as much," Sasse said.
"I've got to get to Nebraska more," Maher replied.
"You're welcome. We'd love to have you work in the fields with us," the senator added.
"Work in the fields? Senator, I'm a house **********," Maher said.
I slightly disagree with CNN's transcript. I watched it. It was clear to me he said, "House *****". Some feel whether you say it ending in "er" or "a" doesn't matter, but let's get the transcript right and go from there.

In the week of Kathy Griffin, it'll be interesting to see how much this blows up, all while not addressing the supposedly central issue of, "Is Bill Maher a racist?" One Black Lives Matter activist has already called for his job, and I can't help thinking some people must put on their tax returns under "Occupation" (in all caps) "PICKING WRONG BATTLES".

I think it's OK for people to speak up and say they don't want to see using the N-word and it's variations normalized. As a society, we've pretty much decided since we can't read people's minds reliably, people who aren't black shouldn't use the word or its variations. But as long as Jay-Z uses it in every record to tremendous financial success (and support in the black community), it's always going to ring at least a little hollow. Bill doesn't deserve to lose a job over this, and he doesn't deserve to be put on a poster alongside racists.

Last edited by MikahC; 06-03-17 at 11:29 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-03-17, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
I'm sure the FCC will be getting tons of form letters over this. Too bad the FCC doesn't regulate cable programming.

Still, it looks like Maher really stepped into the covfefe this time.
Old 06-03-17, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

I could be wrong. But hasn't he said that before? Seems like he does it a couple times a year.

Bill Maher is a really sharp guy. I really don't see a problem with this. But those who attack him probably aren't the types that would understand Bill's humor. You know, the types that are the butt of a Daily Show story, and don't understand. There is a difference with Bill using it in a snarky response. The conservative version would be that weird video of Michael Richards tearing down a heckler by screaming it at them in a fit of rage. Not the same thing.
Old 06-03-17, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
There are networks of people (propped up by Twitter Bot 'likes' and retweets) that will snowball.

But then I think Hannity is a stooge for pushing the Seth Rich story. Yet I don't have the slightest interest in watching his show.
Old 06-03-17, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Oh for fuck's sake. It's not as if he used it in a hateful way at all. People are so damn sensitive to everything now days. He made a joke, which is you know what comedians do. There's clearly a difference between someone saying it out of hate and the way he said it but of course the social justice warriors have to come out full speed ahead at any little thing that could be misconstrued for something offensive.
Old 06-03-17, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
I could be wrong. But hasn't he said that before? Seems like he does it a couple times a year.

Bill Maher is a really sharp guy. I really don't see a problem with this. But those who attack him probably aren't the types that would understand Bill's humor. You know, the types that are the butt of a Daily Show story, and don't understand. There is a difference with Bill using it in a snarky response. The conservative version would be that weird video of Michael Richards tearing down a heckler by screaming it at them in a fit of rage. Not the same thing.
Definitely some Conservatives will run with this story for more political reasons. They won't condemn Maher, they will just attack Black Comedians/Rappers for the double standard cause they are allowed to use it.

The outrage will be from the left as Maher mocks his audience all of the time when they get all PC on him when he says something that makes them feel uncomfortable. He did it a few weeks ago during New Rules when he got minimal applause for some edgy joke and he shook his head and scolded all liberals to lighten up.

Perfect example: Goto the Liberal Huffington Post and it's the top story. Social media is killing comedy.
Old 06-03-17, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

I don't know... that guy was talking about working it fields and Maher's brain goes straight to slavery? Not to mention how easily the world just rolled out of his mouth.
In my experience, people who don't see why others might be upset about this have never been targets of bigotry and can't see their own privilege.
I think it's pretty simple - joke or not, insult or not, if you're not black, don't say the word! Even many black people refuse to say it.
Old 06-03-17, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
I don't know... that guy was talking about working it fields and Maher's brain goes straight to slavery? Not to mention how easily the world just rolled out of his mouth.
In my experience, people who don't see why others might be upset about this have never been targets of bigotry and can't see their own privilege.
I think it's pretty simple - joke or not, insult or not, if you're not black, don't say the word! Even many black people refuse to say it.
That's a fair point, but the outrage by groups that will call for his firing is where I disagree.

Comedy is comedy and either it's funny or not. If you don't like his type of comedy then don't watch him. I love Maher as I think he's hilarious yet I don't find Colbert at all funny. When he said something controversial about Trump a few years regarding a gay insinuation with Putin, the outrage was over the top too.
Old 06-03-17, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I haven't been the target of bigotry but I still think this is being blown out of proportion. The Internet loves to have this fake outrage on social media for a couple days when something like this happens and then move on when something that's actually offensive/tragic or whatever happens. Maybe he shouldn't have said it I agree but I truly don't think it was meant as hate filled. Maher has spoken before about how liberals overreact to things like this all the time and he's exactly right.
Old 06-03-17, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Yeah, he constantly rallies against this kind of stupidity.
Old 06-03-17, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

I don't really care for Maher, but backlash against this is stupid. Also stupid there is some backlash against his guest for not calling Maher out about it.

The Twitter/Social Media in general mobs (from whatever political persuasion) have just gotten way out of control, life will be nicer if people/companies would ignore them ... given the mobs attention span is about equal to a goldfish, that seems the best course
Old 06-03-17, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I meant to add this to my original post but I had to run and wanted to get my response posted (with the transcript) for anyone who hadn't seen the show or a clip...

If I were God Emperor of The Universe for a day, the way I'd respond to this is have Bill host (the recently irritating, but still knowledgeable) Cornell West and Michael Eric Dyson on the show to discuss with him why it was of questionable taste. The interesting thing would be that as much Bill likes to decry the personality trait of Trump to dig in no matter how wrong, he does the same himself. He believes given new information he forms new, more enlightened, positions. But the truth is that's difficult for any of us to do. He might even point out that nobody has been a bigger supporter of minorities (which would sound a lot like what Trump says about whoever he has offended this week). So the odds are greater that he'd say, "Everyone needs to stop being so sensitive with fake outrage," as opposed to, "I see your point." Still, it's what I'd like to see happen. I see no maliciousness on Bill's part, but there's a chance those two could educate him and people like him as to why it's still a concern (I wouldn't raise it to the level of "issue").
Old 06-03-17, 01:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Watching the replay, and the line has been censored. Has HBO, ever censored language before? Will they censor the next showing of Django?
Old 06-03-17, 01:29 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

HBO responded this moring after Bill Maher used a racial slur during his opening interview with Nebraska Sen. Ben Sasse last night on Real Time With Bill Maher. The comment drew immediate ire on social media.

“Bill Maher’s comment last night was completely inexcusable and tasteless,” HBO said in a statement this morning. “We are removing his deeply offensive comment from any subsequent airings of the show.” The network did not address whether there would be further action against their host.

During the top-of-show chat Sasse, Maher seemed taken aback when the congressman invited him to come to his state and “work in the fields with us.”

Said Maher: “Work in the fields? Senator, I’m a house…” then used the word that drew gasps from the audience. The two moved on quickly.
http://deadline.com/2017/06/bill-mah...bo-1202106964/
Old 06-03-17, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I think that some people will give Maher a pass because he comes across as liberal at times, donated to Obama or Hillary's campain, and is anti-Trump. I don't think there was any maliciousness on Maher's part.

I think it was dumb though and very insensitive. I wonder, would he say that in front of his black guests?

He's made previous comments/jokes about how Obama is more like Wayne Brady than Suge Knight and that he wants a "real black president," which fuels the stereotype that black males are overly aggressive.
Old 06-03-17, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sad to see HBO buckle to the pressure from the social media outcry over this. I truly see no intentional harm in what he said.

Maher himself issued an apology too which is out of character for him. So I'm guessing he is feeling bad about it and obviously the backlash he's getting over it. I still don't think he meant it in a way that was intended hatefully. It was a joke made in poor taste but it's really not that shocking. He's said worse things people are just latching on to this because it's a trigger word.

Bill Maher Apologizes for Using N-Word on HBO’s ‘Real Time’

June 3, 2017 11:45AM PT
Bill Maher has issued an apology for using the N-word on Friday’s edition of HBO’s “Real Time with Bill Maher.”

Maher said in a statement: “Friday nights are always my worst night of sleep because I’m up reflecting on the things I should or shouldn’t have said on my live show. Last night was a particularly long night as I regret the word I used in the banter of a live moment. The word was offensive and I regret saying it and am very sorry.”

A rep for Maher said the comedian was traveling on Saturday and unavailable for further comment. He is scheduled to do a comedy performance at Indianapolis’ Murat Theater on Sunday.

The storm around Maher’s use of the phrase “house n—–” during an interview segment has been building via social media ever since the show’s 10 p.m. East Coast airing. The incident prompted some to revisit past statements from Maher about Muslims and LGBTQ people that have been widely deemed offensive.

HBO is facing calls to fire Maher. The cabler issued a statement Saturday calling Maher’s choice of words “completely inexcusable and tasteless” but stopped short of any formal sanction against the host. Maher’s apology came about two hours after HBO’s statement. According to a source, Maher was surprised by the volume of the backlash but was also motivated to take the highly unusual (for him) step of issuing a statement out of sincere regret.

As of Saturday afternoon, “Real Time” is expected to air next week in its usual 10 p.m. Friday slot.
http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/bill...me-1202453203/

Last edited by Mike86; 06-03-17 at 02:39 PM.
Old 06-03-17, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

At least Maher didn't hunt a lion. That guy is still running serpentine.
Old 06-03-17, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This woman really dislikes Bill Maher.

ThinkProgress - Bill Maher has been a public racist for a long time

And then...

Deadline - Hollywood Weighs In On Bill Maher Controversy; D.L. Hughley Rebukes HBO

Please @HBO Do Not Air Another Episode Of Real Time With Bill Maher.
— Lil Chano From 79th (@chancetherapper) June 3, 2017

Now that #HBO apologized for #BillMahrer saying *****, how about they hire a few?"I ain't seen black people on HBO since the wire! #TeamDl
— DL Hughley (@RealDLHughley) June 3, 2017
Old 06-03-17, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

When was the last time DL Hughley was actually relevant?

Last edited by Mike86; 06-03-17 at 04:25 PM.
Old 06-03-17, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

That article was interesting. I agree with some of the points she makes but I thought it was interesting that when she discussed Maher's alleged sexism towards women but didn't mention the times he called Sarah Palin a c---- or when he called her a "dumb twat" on his show.

I didn't like some of the YouTube clips that were edited to included out of context snippets back to back, but a good article nonetheless.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.