Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO) - Series Discussion Thread

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO) - Series Discussion Thread

Old 10-01-16, 02:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO) - Series Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by Astrofan
What was with this guy Steve? I'll give him credit for showing up for not for Trump-bullying the woman next to him. I don't think I've ever seen as rude a guest ever on this show. And he never answered the first question: How did he feel about a presidential candidate who goes on a Twitter storm of rantings in the middle of the night. Five days after the debate he's still the Hillary gift that keeps giving.
We've had a discussion about him in this thread before. He's a horrible, horrible person and a terrible guest. I laughed so hard at Bill's line about Larry Kudlow, because I think that guy is a total fucking idiot too, and it pisses me off he is able to make millions for being a complete piece of shit while I am stuck fighting just to keep my head above water.
Old 10-01-16, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 453 Likes on 317 Posts

Yeah, that guy was a real piece of shit, and to Maher's point at the end, pretty much all Trump surrogates and spokespeople seem to be real fucking assholes, like, genuinely rotten people that you wouldn't want to spend any time around.
Old 10-01-16, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

As a #NeverTrump Lifelong Republican, Maher's final thought was scary to me and the reason I'm want Hillary to win.

If Trump wins, then the crazies truly take over our party and there's no turning back. And for you Democrats, you have a crazy wing too, but the nomination of Hillary shows the sane Democrats still rule the party for now.

If Trump wins, it elevates the Hannity's, the Ann Coulter's, the Laura Ingraham's, etc as the spokesman of our party cause they can all take credit for Trumps rise. While the Democrats will be fighting over how the hell they lost to a crazy man who tweets at 3:00 in the morning?

I can live with Hillary and a Republican Congress (voters prefer split government) and take our chances of Hillary-fatigue in 2020. I can't live with Don the Con a few feet away from the nuclear button.
Old 10-01-16, 06:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
I can live with Hillary and a Republican Congress (voters prefer split government) and take our chances of Hillary-fatigue in 2020. I can't live with Don the Con a few feet away from the nuclear button.
I like when this thread is a discussion of the show and not a venue for airing political views. But your point is well taken. I don't really like Hillary, but Trump's an insane know-nothing. However I think a Clinton win will not necessarily mean a win in the House, and certainly not in the Senate. And so perhaps a check against one party running over the other party balances are perhaps necessary. However we've seen 8 years of pure evil Repub obstructions. It's getting a little tiring, but they loath Clinton as much as Obama. And here substitute black man (of which there's certainly plenty of racism on your side), for a woman and for Clinton there's plenty of old fashioned (as they were called my youth) male chauvinist pigs.
Old 10-02-16, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Steve Moore is currently one (and likely sole) of Trump's financial advisors on the economy. I agree with what's been said, he's a boor who constantly interrupts and doesn't address the question at hand, but rather deflects and talks about how the other side is (in his opinion) way worse.
Old 10-02-16, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack Straw
Steve Moore is currently one (and likely sole) of Trump's financial advisors on the economy. I agree with what's been said, he's a boor who constantly interrupts and doesn't address the question at hand, but rather deflects and talks about how the other side is (in his opinion) way worse.
Yeah, that's called spin. They all do that.
Old 10-02-16, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I should also mention that Stephen Moore gives me the creeps big time. Just a real obnoxious twerp, imo.

Last edited by Jack Straw; 10-16-16 at 06:08 PM.
Old 10-04-16, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Astrofan
I like when this thread is a discussion of the show and not a venue for airing political views. But your point is well taken. I don't really like Hillary, but Trump's an insane know-nothing. However I think a Clinton win will not necessarily mean a win in the House, and certainly not in the Senate. And so perhaps a check against one party running over the other party balances are perhaps necessary. However we've seen 8 years of pure evil Repub obstructions. It's getting a little tiring, but they loath Clinton as much as Obama. And here substitute black man (of which there's certainly plenty of racism on your side), for a woman and for Clinton there's plenty of old fashioned (as they were called my youth) male chauvinist pigs.
Nothing in the rest of your post seems consistent with how you started out.

Anyway, it's a political show. It's going to have some political discussion. Respectful political discussion doesn't bother me. For instance, we're still behaving like we're ignoring somewhere close to half of the country is planning to vote for trump. Saying, "They're idiots and racists," is convenient, but doesn't really tell the whole story.

I don't really know the guest that was there for Trump, but I don't need to. I saw exactly what he did on the show, and it was terrible. I really do miss having moderate conservatives on the show, though. Unfortunately, we're still waiting to see if moderate conservatives have a significant voice in the current Republican party.
Old 10-06-16, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Guests this Friday night (Oct. 7):

Al Franken
Mark Cuban
James Carville
Johann Hari
Pitbull

I'm assuming Pitbull must have something to say, otherwise what a horrible guest. His music is terrible.
Old 10-06-16, 08:13 AM

Received 4,680 Likes on 3,168 Posts

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
Guests this Friday night (Oct. 7):

Al Franken
Mark Cuban
James Carville
Johann Hari
Pitbull

I'm assuming Pitbull must have something to say, otherwise what a horrible guest. His music is terrible.
He is a big education activist. Involved in charter schools in the Miami area.
Old 10-15-16, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 380 Likes on 270 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yIMW1C-yy8k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

3:30 to 4:00 was great.
Old 10-15-16, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 961 Likes on 732 Posts

I did like Bernie Sanders disagreeing with a guest, saying "that's bullshit". You don't hear presidential candidates, even former ones, saying that.

I have a bone to pick with Ann Coulter's crap-fest, but that might be better off in the Politics forum.
Old 10-27-16, 12:27 AM

After one week off, show returns this friday night, Oct. 28.

Guests are:
Van Jones
Chelsea Handler
Kristin Soltis Anderson
Michael Moore
Rick Lazio
Old 10-27-16, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 453 Likes on 317 Posts

I guess pro-Trump people aren't coming on his show anymore.
Old 10-27-16, 11:41 AM

Always down for some Kristen Soltis.
Old 10-27-16, 11:55 AM

Ugh, Michael Moore. Not a hater, just a can't stander.
Old 10-28-16, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Deadline - ‘Real Time With Bill Maher’ Finally Lands President Barack Obama

After nearly a year of on-air pleading and a national petition at whitehouse.gov, Bill Maher has landed President Barack Obama as a guest for his HBO program Real Time With Bill Maher. Maher will interview the president at the White House this week for airing next Friday, Nov. 4.
Old 10-28-16, 11:43 PM

So he couldn't get him to show up. Big deal.
Old 10-29-16, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 331 Likes on 247 Posts

Obama isn't going to be on the show, he's just going to be allowing Maher to have a "controlled" interview with him at the White House - meaning questions will be submitted in advance...not that Bill would be tough on Obama, considering he gave $1 million to his campaign. I wonder if Bill will hold back on his profanity in the White House in front of the President.
Old 10-31-16, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Obama isn't going to be on the show, he's just going to be allowing Maher to have a "controlled" interview with him at the White House - meaning questions will be submitted in advance...not that Bill would be tough on Obama, considering he gave $1 million to his campaign. I wonder if Bill will hold back on his profanity in the White House in front of the President.
Bill Maher doesn't give a fuck. He'd grill Obama on principle alone if he felt like it.

Now, I'm not sure who will have control of the editing of this taped interview. Maybe the White House gets final cut.
Old 11-01-16, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 331 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
Bill Maher doesn't give a fuck. He'd grill Obama on principle alone if he felt like it.
You think? My guess is it will be the biggest kiss-up interview Maher's ever done.
Old 11-01-16, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
You think? My guess is it will be the biggest kiss-up interview Maher's ever done.
Agree. Not sure why you all are waiting for something epic. Bill kisses up when need be.
Old 11-01-16, 06:18 PM

I will admit I will be viewing lol
Old 11-02-16, 01:28 PM

With Potus at the White House - finally! "Persistence" he said as we sat down. "That's how I got Michelle to marry me"
Old 11-02-16, 05:22 PM

I'll be shocked if Bill didn't ask him about legalizing weed.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.