TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO) - Series Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-16, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO) - Series Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
America Ferrera was surprisingly good as the celeb guest. Also got to fight and argue with Jack Kingsman, a deep south Georgia Republican.
But she was a bitch to Maher, so you're never going to see her on the show again. And I'm OK with that.
Old 07-23-16, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
But she was a bitch to Maher, so you're never going to see her on the show again. And I'm OK with that.
eh, he lets some hard right commentators on his show who are multi time guests
Old 07-23-16, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Ann Marie Cox is hot.
Old 07-23-16, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

eh, he lets some hard right commentators on his show who are multi time guests
There's a difference between political commentators and some shitty sitcom actress.
Old 07-23-16, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

America Ferrera was surprisingly good as the celeb guest. Also got to fight and argue with Jack Kingsman, a deep south Georgia Republican.
Yeah, but she was kind of clueless as to how the whole election works...she was bragging about all the support and registration numbers in California, as if that's going to help Clinton any more in the election...CA is already won for the Democrats, but they're not going to get anymore electoral votes regardless of how many people they get out to the polls.
Old 07-23-16, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Yeah, but she was kind of clueless as to how the whole election works...she was bragging about all the support and registration numbers in California, as if that's going to help Clinton any more in the election...CA is already won for the Democrats, but they're not going to get anymore electoral votes regardless of how many people they get out to the polls.
It can help in the sense that more democrats could be elected to the US congress and state offices.
Old 07-24-16, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 722 Posts

Ferrara was ok. Not one of the best celebrity guests he's had on, but not a mindless dolt either. Seemed well-informed enough, like she does pay attention to things, but I wouldn't ask her to give a detailed explanation of the whole issue in Turkey, say.

Now Kingston was annoying as hell. Just listen to the way he speaks, and that kinda sums up the Republican attitude. More importantly, it's the way they want the people to think. Everything going on in the Middle East is Hillary Clinton's fault, and I do mean directly. Never before has a Secretary of State given as much credit or blame for world events as she has. And I think neither (credit nor blame) is entirely accurate.
Also, the discussion of Obama's "coronation", as the conservatives and Republicans have always tried to give the impression that Obama supporters view him as a "king" of some kind. It fits their narrative that he's "above the law". Here, in Kingston's input to the show, was the Republican narrative in a nutshell. Take it for what you will.
Old 07-24-16, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

The debate among voting is always interesting to me.

I live in NJ and its always been easy for me to vote. I used to vote at a local school now its moved to a local church which is 5 minutes from my house. I've never had to wait long to vote so it's never been a nuisance.

I've been voting since 1991 and we've always had automated machines as I was in shock to see how people voted in Florida in 2000.

My question is: Why are so many states behind the time in technology and I understand rural areas, but why aren't there more polling places so they don't get as crowded?

I guess I'm spoiled cause it's so easy for me to vote, as its mind boggling to see how other states vote sometimes on TV.
Old 07-24-16, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mcnabb
The debate among voting is always interesting to me.
I've always seen it as more of a non-issue, and really illustrative of the stupid differences between Republicans and Democrats. Particularly, the whole "voter ID" thing; Republicans fight too hard for it, Democrats fight too hard against it. I don't know why it's an issue, as voter fraud is really non-existent, and if it were, it sure as hell wouldn't be at the polls. It would be electronic. There's just no way to mobilize enough people to change an election through going to the polls fraudulently. So I don't know why Republicans push it so much. That said, I also don't think it's that difficult or off-putting to have to have an ID.
Old 07-24-16, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,074 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff
I've always seen it as more of a non-issue, and really illustrative of the stupid differences between Republicans and Democrats. Particularly, the whole "voter ID" thing; Republicans fight too hard for it, Democrats fight too hard against it. I don't know why it's an issue, as voter fraud is really non-existent, and if it were, it sure as hell wouldn't be at the polls. It would be electronic. There's just no way to mobilize enough people to change an election through going to the polls fraudulently. So I don't know why Republicans push it so much. That said, I also don't think it's that difficult or off-putting to have to have an ID.
Old 07-24-16, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

The voter ID issue isn't about voter fraud, it's about suppressing legitimate voters.

That's why both sides are fighting so hard for it and against it. The republicans see an electoral advantage to preventing certain groups that may not have IDs (college students, the elderly, inner city people without cars) from voting; that's why they fight so hard for tighter restrictions and democrats fight against them.
Old 07-27-16, 06:49 AM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

REAL TIME WITH BILL MAHER continues its election coverage this week with special live half-hour editions, presented from Los Angeles, during the Democratic convention on WEDNESDAY, JULY 27 and THURSDAY, JULY 28 at 11:00 p.m. (ET)/8:00 p.m. (PT) both nights.

Panelists for the July 27 show are editor Charles Cooke, comedian D.L. Hughley and former NY Rep. Anthony Weiner. Panelists for the July 28 show are political analyst Amy Holmes, journalist Michael Moynihan and author Salman Rushdie.

The REAL TIME convention specials are also available to nonsubscribers, who can stream them live on the REAL TIME YouTube channel (youtube.com/RealTime). In addition, the shows are available on Maher's Facebook page the day after they air on HBO.
Old 07-29-16, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

One thing I've learned over the last couple of weeks: Bill Maher does not need a daily show. I'm a little burned out on seeing him so much recently, and I'm a fan.
Old 07-29-16, 01:34 PM

Received 51 Likes on 17 Posts

One thing I've learned over the last couple of weeks: Bill Maher does not need a daily show. I'm a little burned out on seeing him so much recently, and I'm a fan.
I completely agree. I love Bill Maher, but because his show is so skewed to one side, it gets tiring having three nights in a row of Trump bashing. Not that he's wrong, but it just gets a bit repetitive.
Old 07-29-16, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Matto1020
I completely agree. I love Bill Maher, but because his show is so skewed to one side, it gets tiring having three nights in a row of Trump bashing. Not that he's wrong, but it just gets a bit repetitive.
But his impersonation of Trump is great, "I know a guy, who knows a guy, who knows a guy, who can get you a great deal!"
Old 07-29-16, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I laughed at how irritated Maher got at Trump's hand gesture that looks like this: "mL"
Old 07-29-16, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's no worse than Bill Clinton's "put the card in the ATM" gesture. Seriously, watch an old speech of his, you'll see what I mean
Old 07-29-16, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't care about the hand gesture itself, just laughing at Maher's illogical irritation over it. He was flipping out, it made him so mad.
Old 07-30-16, 12:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there anyone on the planet who likes Cornel West?
Old 07-30-16, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

He's annoying as fuck.
Old 07-31-16, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Astrofan
I used to like him, or maybe just get a kick out of him many years ago, but he's gotten much worse.

I can't stand most of his shit these days.

I'm glad Alex Wagner was on the most recent show. She's smart and cute as a button.
Old 07-31-16, 09:34 AM

He hogged lots of airtime with his nonsense appearing to cause "brother" Bill to get quite annoyed. Here's hoping it's enough to get him no longer invited--but I doubt it. What if you had to have him as a professor?!
Old 07-31-16, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

What if you had to have him as a professor?!
He's professor emeritus, which means he's retired but can still hangout on campus and use the library or whatever. But he no longer has student. Which is maybe what's driving him insane?

Yeah, I feel the same about Cornel West - he's just gotten so annoying. Anyone who's that far off (be it to the right or left) becomes bogged down in ideology, and has a hard time listening to anyone.

And Alex Wagner...
Old 08-01-16, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Panelists like Cornel West and Ann Coulter are the worst because they are not there to debate. They are there to hear themselves talk and will never even consider an opposing position.

I think Maher books guests like this because he thinks they are entertaining because they are so opinionated, but it turns out to be the opposite where they are just annoying.

I guarantee you don't see West on until the election after he pretty much endorsed Jill Stein. Maher doesn't want a rerun of 2000 where Ralph Nader stole enough votes to give Bush the election.
Old 08-01-16, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by mcnabb
Maher doesn't want a rerun of 2000 where Ralph Nader stole enough votes to give Bush the election.
I was against Nader, but I think siphoned is a better word than "stole."

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.